Is there Lyme Disease in Florida?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Nov 19, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I am trying to decide if I should travel to see a Lyme literate doctor. We do have ticks and Lyme disease here but I became ill in the dead of winter right after a 2 week trip to Florida.

We stayed in a woody area in Lakeland. I became sick with mono 2 weeks after I got back. Then CFS set in.

Does anyone know if there are ticks and Lyme disease in Florida? If there are, then I think that I should follow this up.

Thank you.
    Pepper
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

Wow! Every state but Montana! I had no idea. I guess that I should look into this.

Thanks.
    Pepper
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Here is what my post read:

Title: Those with Lyme - Where do you live? 11/17/05 01:27 PM

I've been looking on the CDC website, and they have an interesting map of where Lyme has been detected.

Go to the main CDC website, select the A-Z Index, go to Lyme Disease, then Lyme Disease: Introduction. On the left side is Statistics. Then under maps, you can click on the Reported Cases. It is just the U.S. You can also look at charts and tables By State to see year by year statistics since 1994.

The heaviest reported cases are on the east coast and Wisconsin and Minnesota.

So where do all of you with Lyme live?
    --End of Post--

Pepper, check out the CDC website. There is definitely Lyme Disease in Florida. You can also read what others responded to my post. At least one person had been in Florida.

Mono, however, is caused by Epstein Barr Virus (aka EB or EBV). Lyme is caused by a bacteria.

I sure hope you don't have Lyme!

Katy

4. pepper

pepper New Member

I will check that out now.

Would it not be better to have Lyme disease rather than or along with CFS? At least it could be treated, could it not? I have always thought that a diagnosis of Lyme would be good news! Is it not?

Pepper
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You have a point! I guess if you get a positive diagnosis of Lyme, you could at least take antibiotics. With just a diagnosis of CFS, it seems like so many treaments are just for symptoms.

It seems sad that we hope for diagnosis of Lyme or CMV or mycoplasma or any other nasty thing that could be infecting us. At least then we could take action and treat the infection with antibiotics or antivirals. And possibly get better!

Bottom line, I hope you can find some reason behind your illness. Trying to pinpoint a cause is a real bugger, isn't it?!

Katy
  6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I have lyme and have had it since I was a little girl. I grew up in Florida Palm Beach, Merritt Island areas.

Sandy
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

There was an article in the local paper over a year ago about the Lyme cases reported in our county. People have had difficulty getting a doctor to recognize the cause, but Lyme it was.
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

Katy: Yes, trying to find a cause for these DD's would help me find a treatment. I would be happy to be told to take ABX and I would feel better! If only!

With CFIDS absolutely nothing I have done in the past 13 yrs has helped. I am still exhausted to varying degrees every single day. Thursday and today (Sunday) I was not able to get out of bed except to eat breakfast and supper. I would try to sit up and just could not.

Sandy: You have had Lyme disease since you were a child? That's terrible! I thought that Lyme disease could be treated successfully with ABX! Are there some cases (such as yours)where this is not possible?

Juloo and fibromyalgiasucks: I went to the CDC web site that Katy suggested and it is fascinating. Florida has had quite a few cases of Lyme disease reported in the last 10 yrs. There were no stats for 1992 when I was there but it must be similar to the following years.

Isn't it unbelievable that with those statistics doctors are still reluctant to diagnose and treat Lyme disease? We have the same problem here in Canada. The northeastern states where there is so much Lyme is just on the other side of the St. Lawrence River and they think that the ticks just stay on the U.S. side.

Thank you all for your input.
    Pepper

9. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Maybe authorities in Montana have blinders on! The trouble with having Lyme Disease which is more specific, is that Lyme Disease is very difficult to treat. It's usually several months of abx. and it doesn't always work. My understanding is also that the longer you have it the harder it is to treat. Marie
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I think that there must be Lyme in Montana too. It would be just as strange for the ticks to stop at the Montana border as the claims that they stop at the Canadian border. Maybe there have been no reports in Montana. Or they are ignoring the reports like they do up here.

Pepper

[ advertisement ]