Is there lyme in California?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinlou, May 29, 2006.

1. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I hope someone can answer this. My husband has done trail riding in the High Sierra's on horseback. Could he have brought ticks back with him? Just where do these ticks mostly come from? I know I could look this up on the net, but you dear friends are a wealth of info...
    Thanks!
    Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2006]
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Dncnfngrs,
    Thank you.
    I am going to really check this out, thanks.
    Cindy
  3. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Livnlife,
    I have checked his clothing. But he always just dumps them in a pile on the floor. He has small saddle bags he brings in the house, too.
    Also, he goes up to Hanford to help drive cattle down.
    I guess I should get checked for lyme. I will ask my PCP.
    Thanks for info...!
    Cindy
  4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Houston Texas with lyme . I suspect alot of the lyme infections are due to mosquitoes in places that are not heavily wooded .
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Yes. According to the CA dept of health:

"In the West, the vector is the western black-legged tick (Ixodes pacificus), which has been identified in 55 of 58 California counties. I. pacificus is most common in densely vegetated or wooded areas of the coastal range north of San Francisco, the western Sierra foothills of northern California, and the San Francisco Bay area including Santa Cruz County; it is uncommon in the Central Valley and from the Tehachapi Mountains south."

The tick may be so small, that it is the size of a period at the end of the sentence, and could easily be missed.

As others have noted above, it doesn't have to be a tick that infects someone, it can be a mosquito, flea, certain flies.

In addition, the symptoms of Lyme Disease are so very similar to CFIDS and FM. Many of us on this board were first diagnosed with either/or CFIDS/FM, only to find out later that we had Lyme.

Lyme is very hard to diagnose. Most of us have gone from doctor to doctor trying to get well before finding a doctor who knew enough about Lyme to recognize that we might indeed have it. No offense, but your PCP may not really know much about Lyme.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, based upon your symptoms, history, and labs. The lab tests are notoriously unreliable. The most reliable are the Igenex Western Blot. Even then, you can get a false negative. Therefore, going to a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD) is very important.

In addition, when people are infected with Lyme, they usually have co-infections that must be treated as well.

It's a lot to consider. Take care, and best wishes.
    Hopeful4

6. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Annxyz, Thanks for your response. I have been to Texas, boy can those little (big) misquitos bite!

Helpful4, Thanks for all the info. No, I am not offended, I am sure my PCP has no idea to test for Lyme. I have an appointment June 6. I will bring this up...thanks again!

Cindy
  7. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

...just an FYI... here in Texas we "lovingly" call those mosquitos TERADACTILES (the flying dinosaurs) HAHAH!

Those bugars are never small here. If you have been to Texas you have probably heard the saying "everything is bigger and better in Texas"!

O.k., so bigger mosquitos are not better...

I've been here all my life and Lyme was one of the illness we have looked at several times due to my own symptoms!

jenni