Is there one antidepressant better for FMS than another??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SomewhereInIdaho, Jun 19, 2003.

1. SomewhereInIdaho

SomewhereInIdaho New Member

Hi.
    I was wondering...I have depression and I really have a hard time taking meds because the side effects and I would like to know if there is an antidepressant that is better tolerated than the others and that works better for someone with fibro??

I really need to go on something for this and I would like to find something natural that works but I don't even know where to begin looking for something like that.

Thankyou for your help,
    Jodi
  2. shazz

shazz New Member

But different people do well on different ones.
    Just please be sure in your mind that you are truly clinically depressed before getting started on these.
    They love to push them on us FM patients, and I think alot of the times it isn't in our best interest.
    I am not against anybody using these who really needs them, but just be aware they are not for the feeling blue anda the depressive symptoms that comes because we are ill.
    Some people do really well on St John's Wort, which is a totally natural approach. Do a search around here and you will find lots of discussion on AD's.
    Best of luck to you hon.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We all react so differently to meds that it is impossible to say that one will work better for you than another. Just research whatever is Rx'd before taking it.

My belief, and this is only my opinion, is that unless one has primary depression, it is better to treat the symptoms of our illnesses which are causing the depression.

It is amazing how much less depressed we feel when our pain is gone. It is also amazing how it helps to get a good night's sleep. Eliminating our racing brain, anxiety/panic attacks and sensory overload help stop depression too.

All meds, and especially antidepressants, have side effects. If we can eliminate one set of side effects from these meds, so much the better. SSRI's and stimulants work against our already misfiring neurons in the brain and exacerbate the problems.

Some people do get help with antidepressants and some need them for clinical depression. Only you can decide whether to take them and which ones might work well for you. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. SomewhereInIdaho

SomewhereInIdaho New Member

Thankyou all so much for responding to my post...I really appreciate the kind and knowledgable words:)

I was on an antidepressant for 8 years and I have been off from it since Dec. I did well until my family life became stressful and then I overworked my body and threw myself into a terrible flare. I just feel like I have reached this really dark place and am not sure how to get out of it. I'am in pain, so tired I can't function, I have fibrofog so bad I have a hard time driving and I have anxiety attacks. I guess I'm to the point where I need a quick fix but there isn't one out there...
    thanks again,
    Jodi
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi, I agree with Shazz totally about antidepressants. None of these drugs worked for me either and caused more problems. Doctors do LOVE to push these drugs, I've often wondered if it's because they STILL think this condition is just depression. Please do a lot of research on any drug you decide to go on, don't just take the samples the doc gives you without doing research. The one thing I have always thought was, if I have FMS, I will have it the rest of my life unless they come up with a miracle cure, but, is it really safe to take antidepressants for the rest of your life? I don't think these drugs were meant to take forever. Obviously, if you really feel you need them for a while, talk with your doctor. I'm sorry, I don't have anything really good to say about them, but this is just my opinion and experience. Good luck to you. Hugs, Chelz.
  6. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I've said it before...I don't like them. I take xanex for sleep and it also relaxes my muscles. I think Shirl or Mikie said it was still in the AD family....(help me out here)AND whatever AD i took ....I said last time...sexually, I'd get to the cliff and couldn't jump off. I think that is depressing......

Responding, but probably poor advice...
    Horsegal
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

I take Effexor and it has worked wonders for me. I also have anxiety/panic attacks, or did, but the Effexor has helped with that in combination with Xanax. After I started taking Effexor, for the first time that I can remember, even childhood, I am able to go to bed and fall asleep. No more tossing & turning all night and my mind stops thinking, finally. Prior to the Effexor I have been on Elavil, Paxil, and I think something else but don't remember what it was, the only thing they did was to make me so sleepy I would fall asleep sitting at my desk, made me feel like a zombie.

Good luck at finding what works best for you.

Dara
  8. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Why is it then that every doctor I've seen for CFS/FM want to give me an AD.....I'm not depressed,,,,just really sick. So far I've tryed Prozac, Zoloft, and Elavil. What's the deal here? Tulip
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My opinion is that if you go to a doc with pain, fatigue, and the myriad of other symptoms we present with and that doc starts right out with wanting to prescribe an antidepressant, he or she is not knowledgeable about our illnesses. It's time to find another doc.

Back when Prozac came out, people were led to believe it was the answer to all of women's problems. It was handed out like candy. This is just the outgrowth of that, only new we have a lot more antidepressants from which to choose.

Many docs don't believe our illnesses exist and even if they do, they often have no clue as to what to do about them. They do what they have always done, pull out the old Rx pad and write a prescription for an antidepressant. It's a sad state of affairs, but it does help us to guage the knowledge of our docs.

Love, Mikie
  10. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

The first one I tried was paxil, although it did a good job of keeping me relaxed ( I am a typical Type A person), I found that it had one side effect I was unwilling to live with.
    um, shall we say severe "bedroom" dryness.
    Zoloft also had the dryness problem.

Then the dr. tried Prozac. it made me EXTREMELY violent.
    ( this is a very common side effect of prozac!)

Then we tried Pamelor. It has worked wonderfully. the only side effect is some drymouth, so I need to drink more and sometimes suck on hard candy or something. It does not cause any sexual side effects in me.

Please be aware that everyone's body chemistry is going to be a little different. so what works for one person may not work for another.

I still think the Paxil was the MOST effective, yet I refused to be 22 (way back then) and not be able to have marital relations with my husband. It just wasn't worth it to me.

I suggest you do searches on the names of several antidepressent drugs and read ALL the possible side effects and see what you think is best. not all drs. are that concerned about your sex life. and it can be difficult to discuss such matters with your Dr.

What ever you decide. I suggest you ask your Dr. to start you on the lowest dosage, and work UP if needed.
    No reason to go around unnecessarily drugged.

Good Luck,
    Jbear
  11. overwhelmed2

overwhelmed2 New Member

I agree with many people here on the board. It's a personal decision. I believe one needs to really look inside before taking any medication. Just because a doctor says "you're depressed, here take this" doesn't ecessarily mean you have to take it.That goes for pain meds too I believe (MPO). Take only what you need and leave the rest. Personally I was taking Effexor XR for a while and I really knew I was in trouble with depession because after my husband died all I did was cry and wished I would die too...I really REALLY did want that. It took awhile to admit that I needed help so I took it for a few months then decided to find others who had pain problems and brain-far*s got advice, went to a rheumatologist, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, found this board Thank God and started listening and eventually sharing. Turned out the sharing took a lot of the head going around and around with negativity and started filling it with information and ideas of how to make pain and the dealing with it so much easier to live with. I haven't taken Effexor for a month or more now but I think I'll be able to see the signs if that bad depression devil should strike again and if I can't someone here should be able to help me recognize it.
    I guess I'm saying it's your depression and you know how it's affecting your life but please if it does get real bad don't go to the lengths of wanting to commit suicide like me, these folks will help you if you let them. Gee I hope this makes sense..I wish you well in mind and body Overwhelmed2