Is there such a thing as fibromyalgia without bad pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skrinard, Jan 30, 2007.

1. skrinard

skrinard New Member

I'm a bit desperate, so I'm asking what seems like a very silly question.

I've always read that fibromyalgia's primary symptom is chronic pain, but I'm still desparately searching for a diagnosis for my strange problems.

I have sleep apnea, which is being treated. I also have IBS and GERD. While I'm overweight, I also try to exercise 4-6 times a week. I have very dry eyes and skin, but came up negative for Sjogren's Syndrome.

My major problem these days seems to be the onset of chills without fever. I just had a particularly bizarre instance of this, in which I found it impossible to get warm for almost an hour. My fingers were stiff and didn't work properly, my teeth were chattering, and I had a dull pain in both arms and legs. Now that the bout is over, I feel very weak and my muscles are extremely fatigued.

My other problem is that I feel muscle weakness in my legs almost every other day when I prepare to exercise. They feel shaky and as if they don't want to support me. This has become very alarming to me, as I need to keep exercising to avoid health problems.

I realize that these symptoms are probably not fibromyalgia, since I have no bad chronic pain. But maybe someone on the board who has researched their condition might have some idea what's going on?

Best wishes,

Sue K.

2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Have you had your hormone levels checked? A low thyroid reading can cause a lot of the symptoms you are detailing. A lot of Dr's just do a TSH test which doesn't always reflect problems. You need to have a more indepth panel done.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune condition. For me, it was a virus that attacked my thyroid as well as caused my FM symptoms to go into overdrive. I had dry eyes, skin, puffiness, weight gain, constipation, IBS, GERD, was very cold and qlwo had severe pain.

My thyroid levels are supposed to be back to normal (with medication) but I still have dry skin, eyes, constipation, pain etc. I also find it really hard to lose weight.

Hope this helps a little.

Eileen

3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Which is believe is the other end of the spectrum from FM anyway. I started out w/ vaguer symptoms similar to yours. Not obviously CFS in severity, and not recognizably FM at all, as I had an abscence of chronic and severe pain for many years. I was very slow onset, and now have unmistable FM.

It's best to catch it early and adjust your life accordingly.

How long have your symptoms been perculating?

Jeanne
  4. roge

roge Member

to anser your question in the title , well yes it is possible to have FM and not have BAD pain , it is called mild FM. Like most disease there are degrees of severity.

but does sound like something else to me (maybe even CFS) or maybe a neuromuscular disorder as the weakness is a concern and a red flag. I would see a Neurologist if you have not already to rule out any neuromuscular disease as well as MS.

I suppose there is atpyical FM , but more than not, the main symptoms of FM are pain (all different types) and normally in soft tissues, fibro fog , fatigue, muscle spasms and many other symptoms too numerious to list.

good luck
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've seen at least a half-dozen people on the board with this weak legs syndrome.

At one point there was a post called something like "Help I've fallen and I can't get up."

Jolielulu also has this problem. (She has CFS and some muscle pain.)

I don't know what it's from.

Best, Lisa

6. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I had a Dr. a few years ago who's specialty was CFS and FM. He told me he was starting to think they were the same thing and not everyone had pain. The people with pain would be put in the FM heading and those without pain or very mild pain would be labeled with CFS. I don't know how true that is but I think it is a possibility. What do you think? Suzanne
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  7. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Sue,

I guess in some cases you are lucky. I would do anything to take away the pain I get that often occurs at night or my RLS which is progessively getting worse.
    Has a doc checked your tenderpoints? That is one way to diagnose if you may have it?

What does your doc think?

Good luck & sorry to hear that you even have to be hear to inquire!!

your friend,
    fungirl
  8. skrinard

skrinard New Member

I hope all the respondents will read tehis, since I'm not sure where else to post it.

I want to thank all of you for responding and offering such welcome advice. I have talked with my own doctor about these symptoms but he's never seemed too concerned, though he has always agreed to do any tests I ask for ... most recently the Sjogren's test. I just need to know what to ask for!

I've had the standard thyroid tests, which have come up negative, but perhaps I didn't have the kind mentioned in the responses. I have also been tested for diabetes (negative). I'm currently experiencing some stomach pain for which I've had an upper GI, diagnosis gastritis. In other words, I'm not shy about persuing whatever I need to do to get answers.

I don't live near a medical training school, but as I said my doctor should be willing to pursue any course I feel necessary. I'm especially worried about the weird weakness I often feel in the mornings when I try to exercise, since it is totally out of the blue.

I'll gather up all these posts and make a list to discuss wiht my doctor. Thanks again to all!

Best wishes,

Sue K.