Is this a "flare"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aryiella, Jun 5, 2003.

1. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I hear everyone always talking about being in flares. When you use that term, do you just mean that your pain is at its worst?

I'm wondering if how I feel now is a flare. Normally my muscle pain is in my neck, shoulders and upper back, and it is usually bearable - I don't take medicine for it because OTC stuff doesn't help and I haven't been able to find a Dr to give me pain meds yet. Well, I have been off work for the past 2 mos and just started back to work f/t this week. I have an office-type job. Today I had to fill out paperwork by hand all day, and I guess that triggered more severe pain in my right shoulder. In addition, I feel "woozy", my skin feels hot to the touch, and it feels like I have a low fever, but I don't. This strange feeling has happened before when my pain level gets to this point. I am assuming this is a flare, but I don't understand why I always get this flushed/hot feeling with the pain. It's weird. Anyone else get this or any theories why this happens? I recall reading somewhere before about our bodies having some temperature regulation dysfunction....

Holly
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  2. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I am near you in Greensburg. I was told of a doctor to go see in Pittsburgh who treats pain and our symptoms. He was originally a pharmacist, so he knows the ins and outs of all the meds out there and the different applications for them.

The person who recommended I see him has been seeing him for a long time. She had back surgery and a few days later fell. She had to have the surgery again and was discharged from the hospital. On the way home she was hit by a car. Her back is pretty screwed up. Now I haven't seen this doc yet but I made an appt for the 16th. This woman told me when she was in the most pain, he prescribed her morphine. She now takes Oxycontin on a regular basis. She went on and on about how wonderful he was so I figured it was worth a shot.

Anyhow if you want his name let me know.
    I too have the very hot skin. My hubby loves it in the wintertime as I keep him warm, but in the summer he wont touch me with a ten foot pole. As far as possibly reasons why your skin gets so warm..all I can think of is with the inflammation process your blood may go into a semi-fever state to fight possible infection, even if there is none. ANyhow, its just my theory...probably a pretty lousy one at that.

Take Care,
    Sandy (FF)
  3. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Yes, that would be great if you could give me that Dr's name. My email is aryiella (at) attbi.com (don't want any spam bots picking my address up!). I actually have an appt with a Dr on the 20th who's supposed to know something about CFS so we'll see, but it's always good to keep others in mind. My insurance runs out on the 30th though, so unless the drugs are cheap, I'll have to wait til I have coverage again which prob won't be for another few months.

Thanks,
    Holly
  4. nje

nje New Member

IT DEFINITELY SOUNDS LIKE A FLARE TO ME, I`M STILL IN MY LAST ONE,WHERE I ACHE FROM THE TOP OF MY HEAD LITERALLY, TO THE BOTTOMS OF MY FEET. FLARES ARE CAUSED FROM OVERDOING,SUCH AS IN WORKING TOO HARD, ON ANY GIVEN DAY,AND FROM A LOT OF STRESS, AND GIRLFRIEND,IF YOU HAVE FIBRO AS BAD AS I DO, YOU`LL FILE FOR DISABILITY ASAP,BECAUSE IF YOU JUST WENT BACK TO WORK THIS WEEK AND ARE ALREADY HAVING FLARES, THEN YOU ARE GOING TO STAY IN A FLARE. THERE ARE DOCTORS SOMEWHERE THAT WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING FOR THE PAIN. HAVE YOU SAW A RHEUMY YET? IF NOT, THEN THATS YOUR BEST BET, BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN BETTER THAN REG. DOCTORS. I HAVEN`T WORKED IN 2 AND 1 HALF YEARS, BUT I FILED FOR DISABILITY,AND AM NOW DRAWING CHECKS EVERY MONTH, PLUS THE 2 YEARS BACKTIME THEY GAVE ME. IT WASN`T AND STILL ISN`T ANY FUN, I`D RATHER BE HEALTHY AND WORKING,BUT I KNOW I CAN NEVER WORK AGAIN,BECAUSE I HAVE FLARES IF I GET JUST A TAD BIT STRESSED, BUT THEN I HAVE BAD NERVES TOO,AND A FEW OTHER THINGS WRONG WITH ME,I WON`T EVEN GO INTO THEM,BUT YOU MIGHT CONSIDER THE THINGS I SUGGESTED. ONLY YOU KNOW HOW BAD YOU FEEL. YOU`LL BE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS nje