Is this a IC symptom?? or a bad bladder infection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    Gonna be short on this one,..as I'm not too well at the moment.
    I suspect I have IC although its never been confirmed.
    Does anyone with IC here ever experience a slower or weaker urine stream??
    I have ALL the symptoms at the moment but this is new to me. I feel the urge to pee,... trot to the bathroom,and when I go,...my urine seems to be coming out slower??
    I feel a full bladder(bursting) but not alot of urine comes out. Can some one help me on this one?
    is this IC or not?

Tandy
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up~

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sounds like a bladder infection, please go have it check out.

While you wait, try drinking Cramberry Juice, about 8 ounces in the mornin and again at night, the bacteria clings to the juice and it will help with the constant urge to urinate and eliminate the bacteria.

I also used a douche with yogurt sounds terrible, but it helped a great deal.

Also take Probotics, the Jarro Dolphus are the best I have found, they do sell them here at Pro Health.

Hope someone has more adivce for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I just got diagnosed with IC. I too had a slow urine stream. I`m not sure though is that is diffently a symptom or not. As for the Cranberry juice if you have a bladder infection it is great. If you have Ic it is about the worst thing for it. I was drinking cranberry juice before I know this and I was doubled over it pain, moaning. It made it so much worse.

My main symptoms were pelvic pain all the time, lower back pain, feeling that I have to go all the time. I have to go every 5 to 15 minutes, the longest a can wait is a half-hour and then I`m in more pain. My symptoms get worse with acidy foods.

Does any of this sound like your symptoms? I got a new book on IC today called "You Don`t Have To Live With Cystitis." I haven`t had a chance to read a lot of it yet, but it did say trouble voiding is a symptom. It also said something very interesting. It said that back pain is a big sign of bladder problems and IC. The nerves in the back that signal the bladder to urinate don`t work right. Consiquently people have trouble emptying their bladder.

I`m hoping I can get some information that will help me deal with this and get it under control. It really is just a miserable thing to have to live with. I got lucky and got into a urologist who knew what IC is. It took me 2 monthes to get into see him. I`ve been having severe pain for a good three monthes. The holidays weren`t much fun having pain like this.

Try to get into a good Urologist and if he doesn`t help you try another. I guess its hard getting diagnosed sometimes.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2006]
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Yea,...
    I think I need to make an appointment and get on antibiotics. See if that helps any~

If it is IC,..I'm not so sure antibiotics will help much.
    But I'm sure thats the route the dr will take.

Will keep you posted.
    I may go in as 'walk in' today.

Thanks so much for answering :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

A slow stream is one of my IC symptoms. I believe that the fibro has affected my urethral muscles. My bladder feels about to burst even when it's empty. Cranberry juice is a great big no-no for IC, & are all acidic foods & drinks.

For advice there is an I C Network message board, or the COB foundation board for those in the U.K. There are a number of people with FMS/CFS on both boards. xxx
  7. FM58

FM58 New Member

Tandy,

You will need to find a urologist that is familiar & competent w/ IC. Even w/ IC you can have a UTI and need antibiotics. Every time I see a urologist they test my urine - and get back to me if I do indeed have a UTI and need the antibiotics. They typically do the urine culture, not the quick test.

Having a weak stream & difficulty urinating is a sympton of IC, along w/ many other things. Have you checked out:
    www.ic-network.org
    www.ichelp.org
    Both are good sites w/ usefull information on IC. The first one even has doc referrals. If you do indeed have IC, the first change you might want to consider is a change in diet, the IC diet is thoroughly explained in just about anything you can get you hands on about IC.

Consider checking out a book from the library, before investing in one. The one I found most helpful is The Interstititial Cystitis Survival Guide by Robert Moldwin MD.

Now as helpful as cranberry juice is for a bladder infection, it is absolutely contraindicated for IC! When I was first dx, that was all I had been drinking (well water of course too) for the previous 6 months! No wonder I was soooo miserable LOL!! Acidic foods are the worst offender for an IC bladder.

Tandy, no matter what - you really need to be evaluated by a urologist. A weak stream could be one of several different things. Please have it checked out. Ask your PCP for a referral to a urologist (preferably of your choosing). Best of Luck & keep us posted!!

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

and thanks for the new replys~

very apreciated here!!
    not any better today but still have'nt called the dr.
    (will tho)

anymore info??

although my lowest part of my belly feels MOST tender,
    the pain radiates and effects almost my whole stomach.
    Is this normal with IC?

(what is normal anymore?) lol
  9. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

HI, Sounds like an infection. I have iC. I can't eat anything acidic, cranberry for me would make my bladder feel on fire. I have no bacteria present. With IC the lining of the bladder becomes inflammed. So it is extra sensitive. I use an OTC product called Prelief. It is just a veggie source of calcium ( helps heartburn too). It helps with the burning and pain. Some meds irritate my bladder as well. You might try eliminating anything acidic and see if that helps. If it continues I would see a urologist. The one I saw did not reccomend furhter tests ( other than exam and urine test)because he said some tests can make the condition worse! I hope you get it resolved, I know how miserable it can be. Take care.
    Claudia
  10. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

First go to the doctor and check for a bladder infection. If that is negative then IC might be the reason for your pain. I really can relate to your misery. IC is horrible. Many of the women who have IC also have other autoimmune diseases. There is a product that IC users use called Prelief and you can get it over the counter at Walgreens or any other drug store. It is supposed to neutralize the acid in the food you eat to keep your bladder from reacting to the acid. You can also buy over the counter a product that helps numb the bladder temporarily. This product contain pyridium and turns your urine yellow, ask the pharmacist about it.

Don't use any sanitary products that are scented.
    Use unscented soaps to wash.
    Don't use bladder control pads.
    Everything you use in the genital area should be unscented and hypoallergenic.
    Use a warm microwavable heating pad on gential area and lower abdomen. You can buy a Bed Buddy microwavable neck pad at Walgreens. It contains small plastic beads inside. It is perfect for the gential area. Warm it up and wrap it in a clean dry wash cloth then apply to affected area. This is very soothing.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Judy
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Slow or weak urine stream also is normal with taking narcotic pain meds. For example, when I take Vicodin, I notice this every time----now, this probably doesn't apply to you anyway, from the sound of your responses from others, it sounds like a common IC symptom---I just wanted to mention this, because whenever I have to take Vicodin or Tylenol w/Codeine, I always notice this when I go to the bathroom.

Sounds like you've gotten some good help here, though, from others in the know...hope you feel better soon!!

Hugs,
    Pam

12. tandy

tandy New Member

Now thats alot to digest!!LOL

Thank you sooooo much for the detailed post reply~

I'll re-read it thru again,..and again.
    So many foods you can't have!! OMG! I'm already on the thin side. well,...don't wanna gain or lose.
    I'll try for an appointment tomorrow,...or as soon as they can 'squeeze me in'
    I've had a few bladder infections over the last yr.
    seems like about every 3 months. (way too much)!

One time I was given a anti spasmotic for the bladder pains,..... it made you pee a bright orange.
    Whatever it was,..it helped with the pains down there.
    I forgot the name of it tho.

Don't know if I already mentioned this,...
    My legs ache alot! and my low back,pelvic bones.

whatever it is,... I don't want it longterm!!

Thanks again,..you've all been great at helping me~
    Tandy

13. tandy

tandy New Member

I have been taking Tyl#3.

They were given to me for a bad tooth abcess.
    (in Jan.) Maybe its the codiene in them that aggravates it?? I only have a few left~
    Maybe thats a good thing?

Thanks for telling me
    I never would have guessed :)
  14. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm glad I mentioned this, then! I get this EVERY time I take Vicodin or Tylenol w/Codeine....in fact, I sit on the toilet waiting for the s-l-o-w stream to finish, then remember, oh yeah, I'm taking Vicodin and this is normal.

I've heard others here mention this, too, so it's not uncommon. I take a narcotic painkiller only occasionally....it could be, when you take them routinely, that you get over this side effect and don't notice the slow urine stream anymore. But I only take them after surgery, etc. and I always notice that effect.

Anyway, hope you get some answers & feel better!

Pam