Is this area costochondritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jerzygal, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jerzygal

jerzygal New Member

I am confused about where this effects the rib bones. The area that is very sore and even tight begins about 2-3" down from the collarbones, left and right side. It continues just to the top of the breasts both sides. Just the slightest pressure with my fingers on the bones or inbetween can be everything sore to painful. Does costo effect these bones too?
    Thanks, Jerzygal
  2. hurtbunny

hurtbunny New Member

i suffer from fibromyalgia and have been told several times i had costochondritis. for me it was very painful and seemed to hurt in the muscles all around my chest, both sides. the 1st time it was so bad, i thought i was having a heart attack, and i was only 35 at the time! after the 2nd time, i realized it was just another frustrating symptom of my fibro and was a situation where i tried to avoid anything that would bring it on, treat the pain and wait for it to end, which eventually it did, usually after several weeks. during these flares, i had to be especially careful not to do anything to strain this area, such as lifting and reaching. good luck.
  3. jerzygal

jerzygal New Member

geez that must have been so scary...I don't have sharp pain exactly but definitely a spasm of tightness. Is the area I mentioned also where costo can effect?
    Jerzygal
  4. jerzygal

jerzygal New Member

I am confused about where this effects the rib bones. The area that is very sore and even tight begins about 2-3" down from the collarbones, left and right side. It continues just to the top of the breasts both sides. Just the slightest pressure with my fingers on the bones or inbetween can be everything sore to painful. Does costo effect these bones too?
    Thanks, Jerzygal
  5. jole

jole Member

I don't think the area you're saying is costo. It's more on the lower rib area, on the sides of your body, not the front. Not sure what yours is, but maybe someone has an idea. Good luck!
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Costo can affect the areas on both sides of the sternum, down the front of the chest. The area you describe could be costo. It does feel really tender when you press down on it. You should probably get your doctor to check it out at your next appt.

Kathy
  7. momof471

momof471 New Member

it sounds like costochondritis to me. Mine started in my sternum and slightly to the left. Of course now its everywhere. It can be very scary when you first get it. I agree that you should get it checked out. don't do to much twisting, turning or lifting either, that will aggravate the area.
  8. jerzygal

jerzygal New Member

Thank you all so much. I hope I explained the area correctly. I am on the thin small size through my shoulders and you can almost see those upper bones on each side just below the collarbone that hurt so much. If I press either on the bones or between them sometimes it's very painful. Also I am large breasted which has caused indentations on both shoulders and I am wondering if the pull of my breasts would be adding strain to this upper area.

My doctor suggested ibu for this and I didn't know about costo at the time of my last visit in Dec., I do now and will see if there is any therapy or treatment to relieve it.
    Jerzygal