Is this blood in my stool?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Sep 16, 2009.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Last two days my stools have been "marbled" with dark brown, almost black stool.

The rest of the stool is light rust colored or yellowish brown...but this marbling is very very dark and even black and I have had this for two stools in two days.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It definitely sounds like it could be blood. When blood goes through the digestive system or upper colon, it turns black. Bleeding from the lower colon usually shows up red. Dr. Oz covered this today on his show. You should definitely get this checked out with your doctor.
  3. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

It's so distinct and different. Very dark parts imbedded in between light colored areas.

Almost a third to a quarter of the stool is this dark brown or black colored.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Have you eaten anything that could cause the black colour? Do you take iron supplements? If you can't account for the colour, you really need to speak to a doctor.
  5. gasolo

gasolo New Member

If you are taking iron, this can cause your stools to be black. In general, black, tarry stools can represent upper gastrointestinal bleeding. A simple test of your stool should make the diagnosis. Massive bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal track or bleeding from the lower colon can cause frank red bleeding. I doubt marbeled stools are a sign of bleeding, though I would check it out anyway.

[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2009]