Is this combo safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Eve612, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

In the book, "From Fatigued to Fantastic", it says that sometimes you have to take a combination of things to get a good nights sleep.
    Presently, I am taking one Benedryl, two ZMA & a piece of dark chocolate. I still only sleep 6 1/2 hours, bu it is sound sleep. What I need to know, is it safe to take a Benedryl every night? If not, then it's back to the drawing board, to find something else that will work...

Eve
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Hi Eve612,

I take a combo of meds for sleep too. I take Starnoc and Flexeril. As far as I know my DR says this is safe. Too bad I only get 3 hrs of uninterupted sleep (on a good night).

I have nver heard of coco helping sleep problems, could you explain?
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I know quite a few take benedryl on a regular basis, so I would think it is safe. But then again, I'm not a Doc! LOL I took it for several weeks and then it lost it's effectivness. I started using Valerian, which you can get at drugstores or health food stores, GNC, etc. It, along with one magnesium tablet and 2 calcium have helped my sleep so much. I just ordered ZMA from the store on this site. So many have talked about how it helps them to sleep,etc.

Hope this helps some......... Good luck!

Hugs,

Kim
  4. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

A person on the thyroid board told me about it....some thing about the flavonoids in dark chocolate doing something about your serotnin level & working as a sleep aid, so I decided to give it a try. I eat one square of Dove Dark Chocolate at bedtime, along with the other two aids, & I get a 6 1/12 hour sound sleep....I just don't know if it's O. K. to keep taking a Benedryl every night....

Eve
  5. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

I am not the healthiest specimine,my Neurologist has had me on Benadryl/18 plus months I use it during day at lower dose and to sleep 100mg more.I do use a nasal saline to keep me from gettong to dried up. That was the only negative long term effect I was made aware of.The is a post on Depression Board,back 1-2wks, Regarding Benedryl & LT Use. Hope I helped. Peace,eZ :)
    The post was Aug.02,2003/JuiceN[This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
  6. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I have been taking ZMA for years, & in the beginnng, it worked by itself....now, it is not as effective, so I need to add to it, & the Benedryl & chocolate mix is working right now & doesn't seem as bad as havng to take a prescription drug. I took an over the counter sleep aid, I think it was Unisom, & slept good, but I was a zombie for the whole next day, couldn't stay awake, so had to find another soluton!

Eve
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

As for taking benadryl nightly to aid with sleep.I recently read a Dr. Gott column(in our local NY paper)This was the exact question brought forward to the Dr. He said its way safer to take benadyrl at night than any sleeping pill or antidepressant on the market!! Those are his words not mine~ but whenever I really NEED to get some sound sleep,I take a benny with my pain meds~ I sleep well and I'm still alive!!LOL
    I believe its totally safe. Take care :)
  8. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

"Depression Board"? Where would I find that? It's got to be safer than Xanax, which I used to take!

Eve
  9. imagin

imagin New Member

taht's what my doctor told me to take. 2 benedryl and a flexeril before bed to sleep. i'm definitley going to try the chocolate thing! :) it's a real good excuse to eat chocolate besides getting sleep! lol. my naturopath just told me to start taking myorel before bed, and i slept better then i have in a long time last night.
    -kristi
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ZMA is nothing more than magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B-6. It works well with most anything except it should not be taken withing 2 hours of antibiotics, antifungals, antivirals, and any hormones. It can block absorbtion of other supplements/meds.

Love, Mikie
  11. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Hi! The top of page *message boards* click, the next screen will have all of the message board ProHealth inc. offers. Just go to left .Depression Board, I think the post is on pg3.Good Luck,Ez :}
  12. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I will check it out & of course, I will ask my Dr., but I don't have an apt. with her for another month...

Eve
  13. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I will ask my Dr. about the Vistaril, but until I get back to her, I will continue with the Benedryl....six hours is better than none!

Eve
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Has the opposite effect on me, it will make me 'wired' instead of sleepy.

I tried to find information on it for all of you, but for some reason it seems to be a 'closed' subject on the med sites, its there but little or no information.

I would recommend that any of you that wish to take it longterm to ask your pharmacist what the effects could be on longterm use.

I take the ZMA, .25 mgs of Xanax and a 2 1/2mgs of Melatonin, and am sleeping for 7-8 hours a night without waking up, if I do wake I go right back to sleep.

Have been taking the ZMA now for 17 months. The longer I take it the better deep sleep I am getting. Plus I do not have RLS anymore.

As for the dark chocolate, it does have a fairly high content of caffeine in it, but it also has magnesium too.

I cannot eat even a small piece of chocolate before bed, it interupts me sleep, plus it will give me an attack of IBS first thing in the morning!

Shalom, Shirl