Is this considered discrimination?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glowghost, Oct 29, 2002.

1. glowghost

glowghost New Member

Is there anyone else out there who lives in WA state and has ever tried to get assistance from Dept. of Social and Health Services for their FMS and/or CFS illness(es)? I was told by a social worker that "Hum... this is a sticky situation..." and this one: "If we can't get you on incapacity for this then we might be able to help you get on for depression." Both were denied. Am I correct in presuming that all people with FMS and/or CFS (I just got diagnosed with CFS also!)in WA state are REQUIRED to undergo a psych eval to be considered eligilbe for state assistance????? Is this true in other states as well? The social worker I first saw also said that "You know, feel free to apply with SSA/SSI at any time! You have that right you know." I may be mistaken but that statement sure sounded like the state doesn't want your claim so put it on the fed. And to top that off the second psychologist I was required to see flat out told me that "I beg to differ with you! There IS a cure for FMS but you are not going to find it within our traditional western medical system." Then he insulted me some more with remarks about my "fibrofog" : "We just had a decent conversation but you are acting demented." Bla, bla, bla. What kind of professional standards are at play here?
  2. glowghost

glowghost New Member

Is there anyone else out there who lives in WA state and has ever tried to get assistance from Dept. of Social and Health Services for their FMS and/or CFS illness(es)? I was told by a social worker that "Hum... this is a sticky situation..." and this one: "If we can't get you on incapacity for this then we might be able to help you get on for depression." Both were denied. Am I correct in presuming that all people with FMS and/or CFS (I just got diagnosed with CFS also!)in WA state are REQUIRED to undergo a psych eval to be considered eligilbe for state assistance????? Is this true in other states as well? The social worker I first saw also said that "You know, feel free to apply with SSA/SSI at any time! You have that right you know." I may be mistaken but that statement sure sounded like the state doesn't want your claim so put it on the fed. And to top that off the second psychologist I was required to see flat out told me that "I beg to differ with you! There IS a cure for FMS but you are not going to find it within our traditional western medical system." Then he insulted me some more with remarks about my "fibrofog" : "We just had a decent conversation but you are acting demented." Bla, bla, bla. What kind of professional standards are at play here?
  3. beh43

beh43 New Member

Glowghost,

I don't know if this would be considered discrimination or not. I do know it is difficult to get a positive ruling without having another illness as well as FMS or CFS. I got good news this week but I have waited 3 years and had many other health problems as well as CFS. The way it works is you have to play their demeaning game and jump through their hoops so you can get the money that is already yours. You may have to see a psychologist and they will determine whether you have a problem. If you do it will help you to get benefits. Certain people have banged the drum that CFS is a psy. illness for so long it made it to the powers that be and they still aren't able to let go and go with the new information. This is their problem not yours. Scott Davis said it best, it went something like do you want benefits if the answer is yes what difference does it make why you get them. I know it is hard to deal with because we know we aren't crazy. But the bottom line is do you need the benefits. If you do play the game. If you don't play you can't win.

Good Luck!
    beh
    I don't reside in your state.[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2002]
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Glowghost, just stopped to welcome you to the board. Can't help with your problem, but others can relate for you.

HOpe we hear from you often, and again, welcome.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

all I can say is YES, to get social security disability you have to undergo a psych eval..... so it would stand to reason that some states may require it as well...fair? NOPE... discriminatory I doubt it. When I stop to think of all the people I know on SS or state assistance I think of all the drunks out there "drawing a check".... and here we are *.... wanting just a smidge of decent medical care and some health insurance.... noone ever said the world was fair, right? Good luck! << and just tell em what you want em to hear LOL>>>