Is this Fibro Fog??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bigfoot, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm still learning about FMS so bear with me. Lately I've been having problems remembering how to spell. It takes forever to write sometimes because words just don't look quite right anymore. I've always been very good with English, spelling and grammer, but sometimes I say the wrong words too...like calling a trash can a mail box, or asking my ten year old daughter how "work" was when she got home from school. I also caught myself a couple of times putting the coffee pot in the refrigerator or I have even found my deoderant in a kitchen cupboard! This doesn't happen a lot, but it's scary. I also have been bumping into door jams quite a bit. Does any else have these problems?? Is this fibro fog and clumsiness associated with it or something else?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2002]
  2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm still learning about FMS so bear with me. Lately I've been having problems remembering how to spell. It takes forever to write sometimes because words just don't look quite right anymore. I've always been very good with English, spelling and grammer, but sometimes I say the wrong words too...like calling a trash can a mail box, or asking my ten year old daughter how "work" was when she got home from school. I also caught myself a couple of times putting the coffee pot in the refrigerator or I have even found my deoderant in a kitchen cupboard! This doesn't happen a lot, but it's scary. I also have been bumping into door jams quite a bit. Does any else have these problems?? Is this fibro fog and clumsiness associated with it or something else?
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

sounds like the fog to me we all have funny stories of sticking things where they dont belong ,thing we try to say or even wright coming out totally wrong
    dont worrie your deffentley not alone!
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I am celebrating my 3rd year as a participant here after hitting rock bottom with illness upon illness and symptom upon symptom. I must also declare that I am of the traditional belief system from training spaning (sp) many years so what I relay is from that vision.

Start w/the clumsiness. I dropped things, fell et cet. and surly thought I had a muscular disease. I had, and have if need by, a brilliant neurologist who explained that what was going on was not muscular but rather a miscalculation between the synapse(s) of the brain to the hand, as in the case of dropping things. My mind thought the cup was on the cabinet so my hand released it; what resulted was a fall to the cup with my trying to grab it or whatever to save the fall!

Same thing when I was falling down everytime I turned around. I would again miscalculate the step and over or under step and would be thrown off balance and walaa, a fall!

I was really taking a 45+ pounding and confounding!

Cognitive problems have now been conclusively linked to petit mal seizures that for whatever reason come with FMS. There is an excellent abstract in web-land of the research into why neuroleptic meds help some of us. I take neurotin. It prevents or lessens the petit mal seizures therefore I am not missing out on as much info as I otherwise would be; but since I never have had the doseage upped (long story) I am not receiving the full benefits. We have no idea when we are having these petit mal seizures but what is said and done while having them we cannot recall.

I believe there are other factors relating to the cognitive deficit we/some call fibro-fog. I stay like Tweek off SouthPark half the time fearing something will come up that happened ten years ago and I will absolutely not have any recollection! It was very frightening for me. Now and again I start fearing Altzheimers but I let my docs know this and I feel they would give specific testing if they saw any memory type indicative of that disease.

I have come along way. I had this come on when my now son of ten was born but was in major denial for two solid years then it was still another 4-years before I could be convinced and in that amount of time I did things detrimental to my well-being so I say to all....mitigate your losses. You can keep from advancing/aggravating this group of syndromes et al. by taking proper and good care of yourself. Love CactusLil'
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Thanks to both of you for your input. It helps me handle this new DD. Looking back I think I had symptoms of FMS for a long time, but it wasn't until a few months ago that this thing really started changing my life. I'm thankful I don't have MS or something, but I'm really hoping my quality of life will improve from what it is now.
  6. Teri424

Teri424 New Member

CactusLil,

What you said really caught my attention! I was just dxd last Dec with Fibro. And I had really gotten bad about my balance not being good, and stumbling and tripping all the time, and having some very close calls. Luckily, I haven't fallen, because I've been able to catch myself in time. I was also just dxd, in May, with Epilepsy (specifically Partial Complex Seizures). The Rheumy and the Neurologist both thought they were Petit Mal Seizures, but the EEG said otherwise (because it showed the seizure ativity in just part of my brain and not the whole brain) But, we think I have been having the seizures for a long, long time and just didn't realize what it was. I just thought I was weird. I had never read or heard that seizures were at all connected with Fibro!

And Bigfoot, As far as Fibro fog goes, I'm really getting bad! I have always taken care of paing the bills and balancing the check book and all that fun stuff, and I keep making mistakes. I somehow have managed to pay our mortgage payments twice, several different months lately. And last month I forgot to subtract our automatic withdrawals for insurance. My husband says he guesses he'll have to start taking care of it. And misspelling words! My goodness, you'd think I didn't even finish grade school, instead of going to college! I give up! If you find the answer let me know! In the meantime, I'll just feel confused!

Teri