Is this Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear All,
    Lately I have a raised lump, about the size of a quarter, on the back of my hand. It doesn't hurt, and is very soft, but the wrist area is very painful and my motion is getting more and more limited.

Does Fibro make unexpected lumps show up on the body? Has anyone ever had something like this?

I would be grateful for any information amyone can give me.

Thanks,
    Terry
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Terry:

I never had that, but my rheumy checks my hand and fingers all the time.

Just suggesting: maybe have it check out. I know that I it happened to me I would have the doctor look at it.

I had (what I thought) was a lump in my left breast.

I went to the doctor and he said 'we'll keep an eye on it, but it was no big deal'

You know what? It disappeared all on it's own.
    So, maybe it is a fibro thing. Yet, you never know.

You relax and do not let it bother you. Yet, a check up might help.

nyrofan
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I wouldn't consider this fibro.

I agree with the post above to get it checked out.

If it's nothing that's good, but if it is something it's always best to find out early.

4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I remember I had that once on my wrist. It was really strange, and I showed it to my rheummy at my appointment and I'm trying to remember what he called it (if it comes to me I'll let you know), but anyway, he said it wasn't serious and would go away on its own. I had it on my wrist, like I said, and I also had pain in my wrist during motion. I would put ice on it on the days it was bad. The lump went away on its own within a few weeks.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

That sounds very like a ganglion cyst. See information below

A ganglion cyst is a bump or mass that forms under the skin. Most commonly, ganglions are seen on the wrist (usually the back side) and fingers, but they can also develop around joints on the shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, ankle and foot. Ganglion cysts form when tissues surrounding certain joints become inflamed and swell up with lubricating fluid. They can increase in size when the tissue is irritated and often can "disappear" spontaneously.

These masses or cysts appear to grow sometimes but they are not tumours or cancerous.
    Ganglions can be painless; however, they often are associated with tenderness and pain which may restrict the range of movements.

Regards,

Eileen

7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Wow! Thank you so much, and to the others, too.
    I remember now, that I had a ganglion cyst on the same wrist, but on the inside, about 25 years ago. It went away on its own. I bet you are right - I bet this is what I have.

Thanks, a lot,
    Marry Christmas,
    Terry
  8. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Canbrit! Yes, that's what my doctor called it. A ganglion cyst. I was freaked out by it, but he said it was nothing. :)