Is this fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Apr 2, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi all. I am new here. I have not been diagnosed with fibro, but my mom has it and my grandmother had it, and when I describe my symptoms to my mom, she says "That's it". I have had JRA since I was 4, so obviously, autoimmune disorders abound in my history.

I have widespread muscular pain, that ranges from mildly sore to excruciating, and sometimes a burning or tingling. It is worse when I am trying to sleep and when I first get up in the morning. Sometimes it goes away as I move around, but sometimes it stays 24/7. The morning stiffness made me think maybe it was time for a new mattress, but I have tried 4 new mattresses if you can believe it (a couple purchased, a couple given to us), and they have given me no relief. I've tried the memory foam overlay thingies, and they help my muscles a little bit, but make my lower back pain excruciating. I also will feel nauseus, flu-like at times. I am ALWAYS exhausted.

I had a "flare", if you can call it that, last fall. Then it seemed to improve right around Christmas. Now it is starting again. I have so much other pain from my JRA and low back pain, it is hard to sort out everything. But the JRA doesn't explain the widespread muscle soreness.

Thank you if you've read this far. Nice to find this board.

Julie
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

What you describe certainly could be Fibro. You must have a Rheumatologist if you have JRA. He/she is the one that could sort his out for you. Whatever it is, you need to get adequate pain relief and help for your sleep. Those 2 things can help a great deal.

I hope you can stay around. This place is full of caring and supportive people, the kind who understand what you are going through. You can search old posts at the top left of this page. There is also a library on the site.

Take Care. I'm sorry that you have all this to deal with.
    Kathy.
  3. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Julie, I don't know what JRA is, but the rest of your symptoms sound like FM.

My neck and upper back and lower back and hips always hurt, and when in a flare, it seems like even my insides hurt its such a deep pain. I often get headaches, too, probably stress induced, and if I get too much exercise I will be in way more pain than usual for several days. I usually wish (in hindsight) that I had listened to my energy level instead of trying to get one more errand done.

I didn't like the memory foam either. It was too difficult to change positions because I was sunken into it.

Also, you can go on line and check the tenderpoints. I think it is 8 pounds of pressure on 11-18 specified points on your body. Check the Fatigued to Fantastic website- I think they have the protocol. If touching them sends you through the roof, it's FM. It's best to get a Rheumotologists diagnosis, but there is nothing they will do for you usually, except tell you to get 20 minutes of exercise a day to help control the pain.
    Again, welcome to this board. I hope you get some answers.
    LOL, Nanna