is this forever?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Sep 25, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

I've heard that this can go away with proper management, etc. but some people say it is forever.

I had a conversation with my friend who said "Well maybe you are tired because you're not eating healthy or didn't get enough sleep." And I explained to her the immune dysfunction of the disease...and she asked me if it was forever...and I don't really know.

Is this going to be forever or are there people who've beaten this?
  2. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi jeunefille,

I'm working really hard to beat it, and I'm convinced it can be done. There is no question that I improve greatly when I eat a low sugar/starch diet, get lots of rest, and some but not too much exercise. It is such a delicate balance because I like to get enough exercise to sweat the toxins out of my system but not so much as to truly tire my body.

There are so many excellent suggestions on this board. I just started to try the guaife... (sp) protocol to see if I can straighten my system out once and for all, and I am convinced it will work for me as it is now late September, and for some reason I always find the answers that I need in late September.

I know that you will find the answers that you need to keep yourself healthy as well. Be patient and go slowly. I think you will beat it if you are persistent in your efforts to do so.
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I think there is hope for managing this DD so well that it will feel like being well. That's my goal. And I'm beginning to understand that the journey back to health will be one of the best teachers I've ever had. It took pain to make me stop and listen. Take care of you!

Francie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some get better; some relapse. Some go into remission; some deteriorate. Because no one knows for sure what causes our illnesses, it is very difficult to have any kind of prognosis. Even those who go into remission may relapse down the road.

What many of us have found is that if we eat better, get rest, take supplements which help, and rid our bodies of chronic stealth infections, we do improve.

I think for most of us, there is the possibility of living a decent life with some modifications to our behavior. We can no longer burn the candle at both ends and we have to rest and not push ourselves.

For many with FMS, including me, the Guaifenesin treatment has been a Godsend. It reverses the symptoms of FMS. There have been a very few people for whom the Guai hasn't worked, but if one is commited to the treatment, the results can be amazing.

If you are interested in finding out more about it, go to Guaidoc.com and read about it or get the book mentioned there.

Love, Mikie
  5. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

As the others have said, no one really knows the answer to that.

Every one of us came down with this DD because of something different. We are all different, we react differently to things, and what works for one is not going to work for another.

I have fibro because of a trauma to my neck. So, I am not affected, for the most part, by diet. I do not have an underlying viral or bacterial infection, as some of the people here do. I have a deteriorating spine. And most of my symptoms are caused by that!

I know for me, doing absolutley NOTHING that affects my spine-laying low and staying off my feet, off bumpy roads, etc. is what helps my fibro to stay at bay. That would mean nothing to someone else who has it because of say, having had mononucleosis.

We are all different-our treatments are going to be different, and our successes or lack thereof, are going to be different, also. Hope that makes sense. IMHO, this is forever, at least for me. PG
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

if you dont then it is likely to continue until a cure is found.

You are young, eat healthy, rest when you need to, take supplements, educate yourself about this illness and hopefully you will be one of the people who beat it.

All is not lost.

love Rosie
  7. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I try not to think in "forever" terms. Otherwise, I would worry myself to death. Try taking this DD, one day at a time, maybe that way you won't feel so overwhelmed.

I had relief this whole summer, thank God, but it is trying to start back up again. I'm thankful for that time since it was the first pain break I've had in years.

Since there is no known "cure", I think everyone is a different case when it comes to beating this.

Hang in there.

8. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I know that you know this, but you may be feeling a little worse just because of a change in seasons. Once the first few days have passed, I hope that fall turns out to be every bit as wonderful as the summer has been for you!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many talk about what caused their illness(es) but no one knows for sure what causes our illnesses. What people call causes are usually triggers. An accident can trigger FMS but may not be the medical cause. An infection may trigger CFIDS, but again, that may not be the cause.

Many of us have chronic infections and don't even know it. That 60-70 percent of us test pos. for stealth chronic infections indicates that most of us probably have one or more infections which operate beneath our immune systems' radar. Even the sophisticated PCR DNA tests used to identify these infections can return false neg. results, so the incidence of chronic infections may actually be much greater.

Newest research indicates that our genes are involved. That would explain why our illnesses can run in families, why some of us are sicker, and why treatments don't work for all of us.

This means that we have to treat our symptoms and any underlying infections in order to feel well and be able to live a more normal life. Because each of us suffers from different triggers and possible infections, it is a trial-and-error effort to effect healing. It can take a long time. It has taken almost five years to develop the regimen which seems to work for me and I'm still refining it.

Good luck to you on your own road to healing. There is plenty of reason for hope and optimism. Research is on the rise and I feel we will have a cure in the next five years. It is important to our healing to remain positive.

Love, Mikie
  10. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

and I do believe it is forever. At first it was bad, which is what made me go to the doctor.

Then it would sort of go away, the pain would anyway, I only took Elivil.

I would try and not take the Elivil, as it makes me crave sweets and gain weight.

Pain would come back.

Now I take many meds and pain is still not gone, just sort of under control most of the time. Or at least kept at a level I can tollerate.

rrsbaby
  11. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

the same kind of course as MS. Not that this is comparable. It just reminds me of the way that it goes in some people. Some people have very slight cases, some people have it constantly, some people have remissions, etc. It seems that some of us have it all the time and no matter what we do, cannot get relief whereas some of us have remissions for a while and others have a lesser case and can work and function better.