Is this good for you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glint123, May 22, 2003.

1. glint123

glint123 New Member

when you have fibromyalgia,are you suppose to do stretches before bed even if you just finished work and sooo tired?

I'm not yet diag but know this is what I have. I wake up feeling like I was used for a punching bag. Have accused spouse of this..lol. So many symptoms, won't get into right now..Just wanted to ask if anyone else does a lot of stretches before bed...My doctor says this will help a lot..Hope I have the energy,sometimes I have to drag myself to my bed.
    Thanks for listening
    Janet
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I do my stretches in the morning about 5 minutes into my shower or after I get out of the bath.
    If I had to stretch after working all day ...........well I would fall over :)
    After working I get very little done.
    Take care
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Janet, I do stretching in the morning too, but I doubt if I could handle that at night.

A good way to start is to stretch before you get out of bed. It gets the blood pumping.

Have you tried a mattress heating pad? They are simply wonderful for the night pain and the stiffness too.

Again, welcome to the board!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

No matter where I am car,chair,bed,kitchen. I never stop stretching. I would not function otherwise. When I awake I may stretch for 23+ min. This is like the time an airline gives you, you know 12:03 flight,lol. I tighten up so fast no matter how bad my breathing excersizes,plus a good stretch. I stretch finding my may to the potty,lol.

Ever watch a dog get up? That`s me!
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

When I wake up, I have a couple of stretches that I do before I get up. The Doctor showed them to me, and they are so simple, I was surprised how much they helped.

I also do range of Motion, I have a pulley that goes over the door, then I sit in a chair and gently raise my arms with the pulley. I have had a Torn Rotator Cuff, and still can't fully use it, so I have to do these types of excerises or lose the muscle function. What I have left that is, I have other problems also.
    Back aches, for Many reason's, Neck Pain, Knee Pain and other than walking and swiming I find the Range of Motion Excerises help a lot.

I do them anytime I'm laying down and I feel like I'm tightening up. Need to keep the Blood flowing too, not blood Clots for me. (I Hope).

Sometimes after a hard day's work, that's when our muscles really need to be Gently strecthed.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2003]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I stretch all day long and when I get into bed at night. It's healthy and I believe it helps with the pain to keep ourselves flexible.

Love, Mikie
  7. glint123

glint123 New Member

I will try and follow everyones advise. I wil stretch more especially when I'm sitting at the computer..Boy, when I get up from sitting too long my body feels so stiff. Agreat massage does wonders too doesn't it. Hopefully when I see my rheumatologist on Friday, he will have a diagnosis for me
    Sorry for jumping all over the [paper.. I just can't seem to gather my thoughts anymore to put them down in writing..Must be brain fog.lol.
    Thanks again everybody
    Love janet
  8. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

All day long. If I don't I lock up. Then the Rheumy accuses me of not doing any moving. For god's sake that's all I do. People look at me funny, cuz I even stretch my shoulders in a restaurant. To hell with em, lol.