Is this insane or what?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texangal81, Jul 17, 2008.

1. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

As I continue my quest for adequate pain relief, I look at the irony of what all of the doctors are doing. Rather than give me a simple prescription for hydrocodone or oxycodone, they would rather fill me up with 4 or 5 different pills that do nothing but make me feel even lousier.

They want me to take Neurotin, Flexeril, Mobic, Elavil, and Ambien. None of this gives me any relief, on the contrary, I feel like the walking dead if I have all of them in me. Whereas 4 Vicodin/day keeps the pain level at bay, allows me to function at work, and helps me sleep at night.

I know I've gripped and moaned about this before, I'm just getting so sick and tired of hurting and being told to take more crap, keep my spirits up, and avoid narcotics. I sure wish I could put this curse on THEM and then see how they feel.

Ok, venting is over, I need to try to clear my brain and get some work done. Have a great day everyone!

2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

What I wanted to try for pain, and that if I felt I needed that adjusted I would get back to him, he was fine with this.

So, I am allowed to keep both Ultram (Tramodol) and Percocet on hand each month. I take the Tramodol on my lesser pain days and the Percocet when I am having an "I want to just scream" days.

You CANNOT take them together.

Recently my Percocet 5/325 were not doing what they had for the past 6 years so I ask him if we could up the dose and could they tell me what strengths they come in so they got out the computer and looked.

I could go to 10/325 or 10/600 as one step up. Since I didn't want the extra acetophinamin I ask if we could do the 10/325 and yes that was o.k. with him.

I can take one or two at a time but only 4 per day. This works for me as most of my bad pain is mornings and night.

They don't give me side effects. I am not tired, sleepy or anything.

I am happy to have a doctor that at least lets me help decide what I need.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I went for many many years without any pain medication. What a difference when I finally got some relief. My pain has increased as well in the past two years. I cannot imagine not having anything to take to help with my pain. I would hate to be in that situation as I can truly say I do not know how I would cope. I can barely take the pain some days when I do have medication.
    I honestly don't know if I could live with that much pain.

4. poets

poets Member

I know exactly how you feel. And I have nothing (really) for FM pain either. I have Neurontin, Zoloft, Robaxin, and my blood pressure medicine. Nothing that really helps. And I can't seem to get it. It really is hard to go from day to day with the pain I'm having. Sometimes it surpasses severe! I don't know what to do.

I get upset too. Let these doctors feel what we do! Maybe they'd help us. I just keep on praying for some help.

All those out there who have access to true pain medicine, please realize how fortunate you are. Every day is a struggle for those like us.

5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'm in the UK and have been on sleep meds, muscle relaxants etc for years.

I have repeated myself to my doc that a higher dose of Klonopin (which helps me so much with muscle spasm, pain and sleep) would allow me to come off or reduce greatly the use of my other meds but she still keeps me on lower doses of all the different meds instead.

I'm not sure what you can do except keep asking or get a second opinion.

Hope you find a solution.

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2008]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know that there are some drugs when combined increase the effectiveness of one of both of the drugs.

However, it does not look like that in your case.

The only example I can think of right now is Lamectal which I take with my Zoloft. It is a bipolar medication to stable your moods. I was prescribed it because of my AD's losing their effect every couple of years. The two together have helped me stay on Zoloft for over two years now.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 07/17/2008]
  7. ETN

ETN New Member

I was on no pain medication for years , because I felt that I didn't need it that I was tougher than that and that it would go away, I guess denial in a sort.
    But when it lasted and just kept getting worse I finally told my dr that this was enough and I needed something.
    Of course they started me on Darvocet and Tramadol and all of that and that didn't even touch it. I finally told them I wanted something stronger and I started taking Norco/vicodin and it helped a lot better than the others.

Then she wanted to take it away from me and I was like I have some what of a life back you can't do that.

Finally the last straw was when the Norco just wasn't cutting it anymore and I then was put on a longer acting me. I am on Morphine now and it has helped quite a bit.

I have been seeing my dr that last 7 years so I am sure that has helped with the relationship that I have with her. She didn't "know" me before I was really sick.

It is so frustrating tho. I would say that if you have a good relationship with your dr that you talk to them about adequate pain control and if they can't help you ask them who could.
    It's YOUR RIGHT!
    Good Luck
  8. nightngale

nightngale New Member

When my rheumy gave me the percocet rx recently he said I could take it with the tramadol if necessary! I thought that was odd....i never have...maybe I should check with pharmacy. I do feel terrible for all of those who can't seem to find help,,,,,please don't give up! I know it is extremely stressful and hard and humilating but it is not right....there is some kind of Pain ethic....someone posted it, no one should be allowe to be in pain!
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You can order Vicoden online if you wish. They have pharmacists who review your questionaire and once approved they fed-x your meds the next day.

I used the online pharmacies on occasion over the years. There is a website called drugbuyers that talks about the many thousands of people who cannot get the proper pain medications. We are not talking about drug addicts, etc.

Some states have expressed concern over people getting a prescription without seeing a doctor. Some of the websites got past this by having a paramedic come to your house and exam you.

Most of us are mature adults, capable of reading all about a drug, its side effects, interactions, before we take it. Lets face it, how many times has your doctor actually discussed your medications? Mine never has.

Anyway, just a thought. The only drawback is, I am not sure you can pay with your insurance plan.
  10. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I have gone through a tons of meds b4 the right ones ..stcuk so to speak.
    so they are most likey taking thru the dog & pony show and see what works and what doesnt.

besides the drs get the kick back from the drug companies for all the scripts they write.......

many blessings

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was on Darvocet for a short time and my doctor told me I could take it with the tramadol as long as I took them three hours apart and did not exceed the maximum dose for each one.

I would be very hesitant about ordering meds. over the internet without a prescription.

Is there some kind of regulation for these medications?

I read that someone here bought worming pills from India. Sometimes these medications are medications given to animals and not for human consumption.

I know how difficult it can be and how it can affect your life if you are in pain. There have also been studies that show pain can actually be harmful to the brain.

I wish you the best.

12. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I have been this route before. Tramadol is very easy to get online because it isn't controlled. However, for the most part I don't have any trouble with my doc when it comes to that.

Buying non-controlled substances online from US pharmacies (filling out a questionnaire for the doc) is relatively safe and easy. The legality is still in question but right now most states allow it, although more and more are getting into the act.

Narcotics online is another issue. I have done this before too, long before I knew I was sick. I was just so tired of hurting and not getting anything for my pain. I found a reliable website in France and would buy in bulk. The problem there is that you run the risk of confiscation and a few of my packages did get confiscated. It can get expensive.

As for buying narcotics online in the US, they have cracked down so hard on pharmacies, doctors, and pill mills that it is getting harder and harder. AND it can be very expensive. You are right, your insurance company won't pay for it.

But if that turns out to be my only course of action, that is exactly what I'll do. I called my doctor yesterday at 9:00 am and 26 hours later the prescriptions go unfilled and I haven't heard a thing. I actually go to a PA (who I've gone to for years) and she is only in on Mon/Thurs, which is why I called yesterday. I will call the pharmacy in a while on the off chance she gave it the ok, but I'm not holding my breath.

I was labeled a drug seeker a few years back because I was requesting too many pain meds. This has stuck with me and is making it harder. I'm tempted to give my co-worker a big wad of money when he goes to Mexico next week and have him bring me back a ton of stuff if I could be confident he wouldn't get in trouble!

Thanks for everyone's support!

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Can you get in trouble when ordering narcotics online? That would make me really nervous.

What do you mean you were labeled a drug seeker? - with the pharmacy? You were requesting refills? Yeah, we're drug seekers - we're seeking drugs for pain relief. That angers me.
  14. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Jana, yes you can theoretically get in trouble when order narcotics online. There was a little known loophole where you could order 3 months for personal use online but the DEA closed that. If your order overseas, you run the risk of confiscation. However, the chances of the DEA pounding down your door are slim to none. They have bigger fish to fry. But, if you would happen to travel with them and not have them in an prescription bottle, there could be repercussions.

If you order narcotics 'legally' online from US doctors that operate these websites, you are in better shape legally. Again, the DEA won't come after you, they will come after the doctor. These are the pill mills I'm referring to. Quite honestly, an ethical doctor won't prescribe narcotics (or any meds for that matter) online. The doctors who work for these places are indeed licensed doctors, but you will find many foreign names on your prescription bottle.

And think about it. You've just gone hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, you try to start a practice or join a practice and all you get are insurance hassles, bills you can't pay, and the promise of the career you've dreamed of all these years is being controlled by outside forces. I can see how some doctors can be tempted to get into the pill mill business. But that is just MHO.

However, a small miracle occurred, the doc actually refilled my prescriptions without even talking to me. Darvocet for moderate pain, Vicodin for the heavier stuff. I guess I underestimated her.

15. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I have got so desperate that I have considered buying online pain meds as the only thing they will give me in the UK is Ultram for pain which doesn't do a thing for me.

My pain today is a nine out of ten :-(

I have only seen sites that sell meds made in India or Soth America tho and so I have not bought anything as I don't trust the sites that sell them. I mean if they won't sell you meds manufactured in the US or Europe I get a bit suspicious.

How do you know which of the online sites sell "the real thing"??

Love Bunchy x
  16. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I was finially able to get hydrocodone from my rheum. I have VA (Veterns Administration) and it is really hard to get approved for meds. I have been trying to get Lyrica for a year, and FINIALLY it was approved. And to get pain meds was like pulling teeth! Tramadol did not come close to cutting the pains, and my doc just was not hearing me. But when the Lyrica was approved, then he looked at me and acted surprised that I wasn't given stronger pain meds! Go figure.

Still scratching my head.