Is this just costochondritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crillee, Jan 2, 2006.

1. crillee

crillee New Member

I have experienced costochondritis...but my question is this...is it just limited to the breast bone, middle of the chest area? I have a large chest which adds to the pain, I have been having burning pain at my chest...hurts to touch, burning in the pectoral area (I assume) it even hurts when i move my breasts (not the breast itself) it just burns everywhere.

Is this costo? of plain fibro?

thanks!!
  2. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I only experience my chosto pain on my left side of the ribcage. I think you should at least call your doctor to see what they say...it might be nothing, but as we all know the danger of Fibro is to explain away everything by chalking it up to Fibro. Take care, Nancy
  3. Line

Line New Member

I have fm and costo and I get burning pain in my breasts, sometimes both and in the pecs. From my knowledge costo can cause pain, burning, sharp shooting pain and the presure type feeling in any of the rib areas. My Dr. told me that burning and shooting pains are nerve involement. Most of my costo pain is breast, under the breasts, the bra strap area (pecs) and my upper chest above the breasts. I am always full of sore spots, sometimes to the point of not wanting clothing on. My right side is getting as bad as the left.

If this is something new and different, call your Dr. just to make sure.

Hugs, Linda

4. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know if this is what I have had or not, but it also extended around my rib and into my back.

I did not go to my doc because I have an appt with him in a week. However, it has been hurting so badly that I called my daughter and asked her--she is a family practice physician.

She told me it sounded like it, or something muscle related, and to take ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc.) around the clock for 4 or 5 days and see if it's any better. (If you have stomach problems or take meds for thinning blood, you should check with your own doc.)

I have been doing this for the last 4 days, and IT IS GETTING BETTER!!!! I don't know why I didn't do this on my own! I knew all those muscles were inflammed, but instead, I have been taking Lortab for the pain--which was not working on any of the inflammation at all!! Duh! Sometimes I think to myself--why am I so dumb!!!

She said that I can take the ibuprofen with the Lortab. So, I've been taking both--a couple hours apart from each other--and I am feeling quite a bit of relief!! I hope it is cleared up before I go to the doc! I need to go to him for a steroid shot in my knee!!

Try some ibuprofen -- 600 mg -- every 4-6 hours daily and see if it helps! I try to get at least 3 doses a day in, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, I have been taking a dose.

I buy the generic at Walmart. Each tablet is 200 mg., so I have to take 3 at a time to get 600 mg.

Hugs,
    Janet