Is this normal practice for todays doc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Mar 1, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

2 days ago I ran out of metoprolol and found out when I took the prescrip in that it had expired. My pharmacist gave me 4 pills till I got it resolved.

I call my doc to get it filled and two days later, today, my docs nurse calls me to say that they can not fill it due to it being a year since I have seen her.

So I am like that is cool one less drug will be nice and she responds that I can not just stop taking this drug, I have to wean off it. She then added that in order to get the drug I needed to make an appt. to see the doc. I told her my month of March was full and I could not make an appt.

I told her I had one pill left, I cant see you for a month, even if I could you wont see me for 5 days. I guess if I can last 5 days than I will be alright!?

Also, I told her my blood pressure stays at about 138/90, she said this was hypertension while another nurse said it was not, my currant llmd nurse.
  2. damz68

damz68 New Member

So is there anyway I can get this prescription filled before 5 days, the quickest they could see me. The way I see it if something bad is going to happen it will probally happen in 5 days. What a joke!

Has anyone here ever had this happen?
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

blood pressure is definitely high. The med might stay in your system five days depending on it's half life and your metabolism I "think"..I'm not a doctor. I would think seeing my doctor would maybe ace any other obligations, but that's just me.

I'm not trying to tell you want to so please don't take it wrong. It's just an opinion and if you could see me I'm smiling. I am though concerned about your blood pressure as it is a little? high. Good luck what ever you decide to do. Bambi
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

In my experience, it is generally accepted that one year is the maximum for a presciption and it is the professionally responsible thing to do to see patients at least once a year if they are on meds.

My opinion ( and it is just that) is that if you are on Metoprolol, you should be seeing your Doctor more regularly. Blood pressure is a tricky thing and the meds can have side effects that you may not be aware of.

I hope you can work out something to get your meds. You should not be stopping Metoprolol abruptly.

Kathy.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    II don't now what your medicine is for, but since you mention your blood pressure, I assume it is for that. If it is a vaso-dilator,then you cannot fool around with it, and you must not stop it suddenly.

A vaso-dilator dilates the blood vessels, and if it is stopped suddenly, then the blood vessels constrict and you can go into crisis. This happened to my mom on the operating table, when they forgot to tell her to stop her blood pressure medicine gradually.

So, I would first phone a pharmacist and find out why you are not supposed to stop it abruptly, and if it is that kind of med, please go to a walk-in emergency clinic and get a prescription.

Good luck. I'll be prayng for you.
    Terry
  6. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Happened to my daughter with her paxil. She had been the docs patient for 4 years which made me mad because I felt we were established in that office. I had to half her medicine until we could get to see the doc!! I wanted to make sure she would not go crazy with anxiety before we could get in.
    I changed docs......

Melinda
  7. damz68

damz68 New Member

I see where you all are coming from. There is no 5 day half life, 5 days was the quickest they could see me. I stayed on the phone with this nurse for 10 minutes and she did not offer me 5 days worth of pills to do me till I could see her. The way I understand it one day without is not good!

Is this the proper way to handle it?

Funny thing is that it was not prescribed to me for high bp but for facial flushing, one of the symptoms of my cfs/fm/lyme.
  8. That idiot doctor, should have given you a 5 day prescription. or called in 5 days worth of pills into your pharmacy, or had the nurses, (if they HAD 5 pills, as samples, or had them in office at all..) give you 5 pills there at the office, and had you come in to pick them up!

What is the deal!? *Prove* to you you should have come in before the script was up? I mean,,, what!? Geez!

No, I definitely think it was wrong, and, I'm with you, I get what you are saying, if you can go without it 5 days, why is it you can't just go without it all together... the doctor needs to make up his mind. He wouldn't give you 5 days worth, which was when they could get you in to see you, and says you are ok, but, you cannot quit the medication, you have to be on it! Hmmm... get it together doctor! Stick with one thing, or the other.

It is wrong wrong wrong, damz, you're right, and it doesn't matter if the script was expired or what, something like that of all things is one not to mess around with!

I've had the same thing happen once or twice, and whether or not the doctor or pharmacy was happy with me or not, they've had to call in half scripts, 8 pills, etc.. for me, of klonopin, or atenolol, or topomax for me. but I DID NOT go with out!

I don't know what you should do, but, definitely be careful!
    And stay away from that doc after this next appt!
    yikes!

Laura
  9. damz68

damz68 New Member

like I said I talked to her for quite a while and pretty much waited for her to offer that 5 days worth, she did not and I was not going to ask her.

One thing that I mentioned to her and not you all is that I have 3 appts. in March and it puts a real strain on the family for me to make an appt. My wife has to miss work to watch the kids and we only have one vehicle. Oh how nice things were before I got ill. Those that are well off will never be able to relate to my situation. Anyway my wife is already griping about having to miss time on 3 days this month, one full day.

The ER idea was pretty good, I might just do that. When I go see my other doc at the end of the month I will get her to renew it. Until then I will take quarters in stead of halves. Nothing like charging my states Medicaid for a worthless trip to the ER. Hey, I can go to the ER after my wife gets off work!

Thanks everyone!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2006]
  10. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Hi there,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have been in your situation before concerning the same med. I take mine for a very irregular heartbeat.

I would call the doctor back and tell them your complete situation...ask the receptionist to have your doctor or his nurse to please call you back ( or possibly talk to the nurse right then)...

explain your concern about being without the meds, tell her your blood pressure reading because that IS HIGH...and ask for a 30 day prescription until you can get in to see your doctor.

I have used the same pharmacy for a long time. You might be able to have your pharmacist fax a quick note concerning your situation and get a 30 day Rx...if none of these options help...I would go to the clinic or ER whichever is better for you and less expensive.

You don't have to get ugly but you do need to be persistent in your request.
    A doctor does have to try and abide by the 1 year rule , but they also do not want to be sued for someone having a stroke because they were denied meds.

Someone mentioned if you could pick up a few pills to get you through at your doctors office. I have had to do this before too. Some doctors allow this as an option, some do not.

I hope this helps..but whatever you do....don't stop taking this.

I actually have very low blood pressure but this med controls the arrythmia which could lead to "heartblock" or "sudden death" without it.

I have had to go a few days or so without it before and did not have any major problems but I will tell you that a few days without it and then going back on it is hard on the body too.
    I was tired and experienced all the dang side effects that I went through when I first started taking it.

Do whatever you have to ...to stay on this med!!
    sincerely, "lilchisler"
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

They will normally give you enough refills for a year, but you must return for a checkup yearly to get new prescriptions.

You said you told the nurse that your bloos pressure stays at about 138/90 -- but that is WITH TAKING your b/p meds!! So without taking them now, what will it be?

In fact, with high b/p, your doc should be seeing you every 3-4 months, or at least every 6 months, even if she does give you enough refills for a year.

12. Musica

Musica New Member

I do imagine there is a professional standard about docs seeing you once yearly in order to keep prescribing a med. Still, to tell you that you had to be seen first, but not for five days and you couldn't just stop it? It seems like she would have called in 5 days worth of meds, until you could see her.

Have you googled or read the prescribing info for the drug regarding stopping it suddenly?

138/90 is elevated, but mine was definitely higher than that, and for some time, before I started on meds. That's not to say you shouldn't be concerned about your BP, but probably the bigger concern is whether or not it is safe to stop the med suddenly like that.

Ain't modern medical logic a wunnerful thing?
  13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't know about your doctor, but mine would never allow one year without being seen if I were receiving prescriptions.

I would think every three months, just to make sure the medicine is working.

In this day and age of medical malpractice claims, if your medicine was not working and you had a stroke, it is not inconceivable you might feel like suing him for not insisting you come in for check-ups.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2006]