Is this normal with FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mom2many, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I was DX with FM about 10 years ago and thought I had seen and felt it all with FM but this past week has been odd (oh and I have recurring shingles also, I get out breaks ever month to ever other month always on my left lower back/butt so I always have bad nerve pain in my left leg).
    So anyway as the day goes on I feel more achy and my skin hurts to the touch but than by bed time (9-10:00) I get in bed I REALLY start to hurt and it gets worst fast. I feel like I have the flu at this point, I feel very cold but if you touch my skin I'm REALLY hot, achy flu like feeling all over and my legs are in so much pain I can't find a comfortable way to lay (not like RLS).
    But than by morning I'm a little better and after getting out of bed even better.
    This happens every night for about a week now but each day I'm in a little more pain than the day before.

I just can't believe how bad I feel at night, I lay in bed freezing cold but hot to the touch and in so much pain I'm often crying.
    I haven't called my Dr because I don't think she's going to help me yet, I last saw her 2 weeks ago with my last shingle out break and she gave me some anti-vail pills and I asked her if I could get something for pain (FM is awful and the shingles are REALLY awful so both = REALLY BAD PAIN) and know what she said "take an aspirin or Advil!" WHAT?!?! This Dr knows my last Dr had me at 3 Vicaprfens (spelling?) ever 4-6 hours and I only stopped them because I became allergic to hydracodon (spelling?) and was trying to find a new pain meds that worked for me.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

it sounds like you are in a possible flare.

is this doc in the same office as last doc? if so she has your chart she should read what last doc gave you. if not could she call or if you have old prescription bottle show her.

do you have option of seeing some one else?

if she understands fibro she should know aspirin and advil are not going to help.

best of luck
  3. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Thank you.
    I have had MANY flares in the last 10 years and still nothing like this, I have never had the feeling cold but skin feel hot and not had a fever and the fact that it comes and goes like clock work.

My last Dr was/is in FL and I'm in TX now and this new Dr HAS seen my chart. I am trying to find a new Dr now, that's is always so hard. I don't want to look like I'm a drug seeker by changing Dr.'s ever time one want give me pain pills. I know I can always tell the new Dr that my last didn't understand FM well enough to treat me but Dr.'s seam to get mad when you say something bad about another Dr.
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi again

should have asked before what is anti vail? could this be the problem?

i to will feel like im freezing but be hot. are you over doing it?

possible buristis?

when you make appt. do you ask with the doc treats fibro and how?

sometimes it takes going to different docs to get pain releif. it sucks.

try warm baths heating pads

hope you get some releif

do you take any vit d?

soft hugs
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2008]
  5. mom2many

mom2many New Member

anti vail, oh sorry typo I mean antiviral (Zovirax) it's to treat my shingles. I would have though this could have been the problem but I only toke it 3 days (made me feel drunk and I wasn't able to drive or take care of the kids so I stopped taking it) and have been off of it a full week tomorrow. So I don't think so.

I don't think I'm over doing it, I'm a stay at home mom that has a nanny and housekeeper come every afternoon for a few hours to help out and this past week I haven't done any more than before (I'm really doing less because I'm feeling worst).

Bursitis? I never even looked into that before, I don't think so tho. I know the added pain in my left leg is from the shingles tho.

I do ask if my Dr.'s treat FM but never have asked HOW, thanks.

Warm baths are my life saves, well I have endometriosis also so warm baths are very needed some days.

Yes I take vit d, I was only taking 1000IU but have been reading a lot about it lately and bumped it up to 4000IU now.

Thanks again.
  6. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I just saw the post about the Alkaline and Acidic Food Chart, I'm going to go read it next.

I do take L-Lysine everyday, have for 5-6 years. I had read that we really need lysine and it was very hard to get enough from foods alone so I have been happily swallowing that pill everyday since.

I also take I lot of antioxidants and immune system busters, Epicor, acai berry, green tea, kelp are the only ones I can remember off hand right now.
  7. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I'm really watching my self tonight, I feel my skin get warm already and I'm feeling a bit cold and achy, I just toke my temp and it IS up a bit. I run low all the time 97.5 seams to be normal for me. Well I'm 98.7 right now (not doing anything other than playing on the computer).
  8. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I hurt a bit more but I LOVE my aunt (she has FM also), she gave me drugs, LOL, I just went over to her house to pick up my daughter and told her about what my Dr said and would give my any pain meds and she said "Want some drugs?", LOL, so she gave me a few pills to help get me thru this flare.
  9. 3gs

3gs New Member

you never know where your releif will come from. what a great aunt.

see if what she gave you helps then you can suggest it to your doc.

hope tonite is a good one.
  10. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Well it did help a little but I can't ask my Dr for it, I got OxyContin 20mg, I toke 2 and it toke the edge of the pain. I was really disappointed, I kept hearing how OxyContin was awesome but it didn't do a lot for me, and it made me itch some.

My aunt did give me some stuff she doesn't use any more to try later, Morphine Sul 15mg & Oxcodone IR 5mg.
  11. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I too suffer from shingles often. I don't use the anti-virals anymore, I use zovirax ointment on them instead, you could ask your doctor for a script for this. A little goes a long way and lasts a long time. Just a thought!!

12. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Tell me more about the Zovirax, does it help with the pain, does it help you get over the shingles faster? Is it messy? I hate sticky ointment that I have to cover so it doesn't get all over my clothes.
  13. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Mine is a white cream and I've been using it for years. It dries them up quickly and stops the itching and pain quickly for me!
  14. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I'll have to ask my Dr about writing me a RX for this.