Is this real?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keetta, Aug 23, 2009.

1. keetta

keetta New Member

How can I go from having back problems to having FM? I went in to get a spinal shot for 2 bulging disks and was told that I have FM...how does that happen? How does a Dr. that is seeing me for the first time tell me I have something that Ive never even heard of? Is this real, or is this something he came up with so he could throw more pills at me to try to keep me happy and NOT do my spinal shot?
    Ive read all the info on FM and yes I have a lot of the symptoms and dont have others, but arent there 1000's of people out there that have a lot of the symptoms and dont have FM?
    Im looking for answers from someone to tell me what the hell is going on! I cant live like other people are saying Im gonna have to live! I HAVE to work for a living and the job I have doesnt put up with sissy's. I have to be able to pull my weight at work and with this it doesnt sound like Im going to be able to without paying for it!
    Help!
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What was discussed at your appt that made your Dr. come up with this diagnosis?

You need to have a tender point test at the very least. Since you didn't go in asking for what's going on, I wouldn't think you'd need all the blood work etc. to rule out other things.
    I would think that bulging discs would certainly be reason to have back pain!

Do you have pain anywhere else?

Having FM doesn't mean he shouldn't give you the spinal shots that's for sure. Did he offer you any advice, prescribe anything?
    I don't blame you for needing/wanting more information. I'd say get a different opinion.

You can go to a rheumatologist.

Janalynn
  3. keetta

keetta New Member

When I got there I talked to his nurse about all the stuff going on, me being exhausted no matter how much sleep I got, waking up in the middle of the night, hurting in a lot of my joints all up my back and neck, headaches ect. we went through the whole gamut of crap that Ive been doing for the last 6 years. I cleaned house the other day and could barely move for the next 2 days! I sat in my office and did nothing Thurs and Fri because I was just exhausted FOR NO REASON!
    So when the Dr. walked in he shook my hand asked me how I was doing (which he didnt really want to know) and went into what he was and was not going to do for me, one of which was that he was not one of "those" Dr.'s that does those spinal shots just to pay for his new car and he wasnt going to do the shots for me. He went through all my pains and pushed around on my back for a few seconds and that was it. He then announced that he felt that I have FM and that he was going to start me on theripy for my back and meds for the FM and changed my pain meds from one that I was taking to 2 different ones, one of which I have to take 3 times a day!
    What does all this tell you???
  4. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

"So when the Dr. walked in he shook my hand asked me how I was doing (which he didnt really want to know) and went into what he was and was not going to do for me, one of which was that he was not one of "those" Dr.'s that does those spinal shots just to pay for his new car and he wasnt going to do the shots for me. He went through all my pains and pushed around on my back for a few seconds and that was it. He then announced that he felt that I have FM and that he was going to start me on theripy for my back and meds for the FM and changed my pain meds from one that I was taking to 2 different ones, one of which I have to take 3 times a day!
    What does all this tell you??? "

It tells me that you have a doctor that actually cares about you. I had a herniated disk and then had surgery for it, but I wasn't healing as well as I had hoped. I think the physical, emotional, and financial stress of the injury and surgery helped me develop FM. Sounds like the same thing may have happened to you.
  5. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

If you think that your only problem is your back, why did you bother telling your doctor about all your other symptoms? Obviously, something is more wrong than just your disks.

Geez, if you don't want to be treated for FM, you can easily find a doctor that will tell you that it's all in your head and to suck it up. There are also plenty of doctors who won't give you pain meds either. So, frankly, it sounds to me like you found a GREAT doctor, one that many of the people on this board would kill to have.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Well you've given A LOT more information now. Your Dr. could certainly be onto something, but as mentioned if you're not comfortable with his opinion, seek another.

I agree with DemonFairy, it sounds like he's trying to dig deeper and not just give you a spinal shot - it's not helping with all of your other symptoms.

I wouldn't be complaining - You're already on pain meds it sounds like. He's trying to help you, but are you concerned because on you might have to take 3 times a day?

I know a diagnosis can be scary. It doesn't mean you won't be able to function. I still work. I have a family. It sounds like you're already struggling. If you do have FM - now you have a name for it.
    Everyone's situation is different. Give yourself time to adjust.