Is this supposed to just "drop" you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wanderingbluedragon, Nov 30, 2006.

1. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I have CFS/FM and there are times that I just feel like I have no other choice but to lay down or I will fall down. I walked up three steps today and my legs almost gave out. I was folding clothes the other day and I became so tired I felt like I had to lay down that second or I was going to pass out. Does anyone else get this? Is this something that's "normal" or should I be concerned. I see my Dr. tomorrow and need to know if I should even bring it up.

Blue
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I feel very weak and lightheaded a lot. This week I was shopping and had to sit on the floor cuz I was ready to faint, just got so exhausted. Then I came home and slept for about 18 hrs!

That happens to me quite frequently, all of a sudden I just feel terrible and shaky....I'm getttin a little paranoid about going shopping and stuff now. My blood pressure is usually quite low so I know that has got to have something to do w it.

Definitely tell your Dr...that's something he should know about. Good luck...

Let us know what he/she had to say about it.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Were you reading over my shoulder while I was typing?? LOL

Sounds like we're twins separated at birth!!

I used to be a big shopper too and now just getting groceries is such a major stressor, I hate it. Pushing a heavy shopping cart thru the store wears me out. Not the way I thought I'd be at this point in my life, I feel like such a weakling!
  4. wildworld

wildworld New Member

after a shower, or anytime i get too warm. blood pressure issues.
  5. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I've always had blood pressure on the low side but nothing that would cause this...what kind of blood pressure issues? Sometimes I see spots when I get up too quickly?

Blue
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

All the time, must sit, NOW. Can only stand for a few minutes, sometimes not long enough to wash the dishes. No choice, gotta sit. Hate it.
  7. wildworld

wildworld New Member

my bp is on the low side normally too, but when I overheat, it drops sharply. makes me feel weak, lightheaded and nauseous, and afterward I have to sleep, no two ways about it. this was one of my first symptoms. they can check this by way of a tilt-table test, if you can get a doctor to order one.
  8. mezombie

mezombie Member

A lot of us have some kind of dysautonomia, aka autonomic dysfunction. This can be Neurally Mediated Hypotension, Orthostatic Intolerance, or a number of other things.

Basically, if you have one of these conditions, your blood pressure drops, but doesn't come back up when you are sitting or standing the way it should.

The best way to test is by way of a Tilt Table test. With that kind of test, you lie down on a "table" and are tilted upright while your blood pressure and heart rate are monitored. Your doctor can also test you in his or her office by taking your blood pressure while you're lying down, then sitting up, then standing up.

A very good resource for more information on this disorder is the National Dysautonomia Research Foundation (www.nrdf.org).

This condition is treatable! One of the first things suggested is increasing your salt intake. I have OI, and am currently taking a combination of Fludrocortisone and Midodrine. These medications haven't solved the problem fully, but they have helped a lot.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  9. day2day

day2day Member

I have very low blood pressure, and experience alot of what you do. In fact at times I have totally blacked out and infrequently have passed out. Dr told me this can happen when blood pressure is low. My normal blood pressure is 90/60 but have had it go a bit lower at times.

As far as the tiredness, I call it bone crushing tired it is the only way to explain it. I have been grocery shopping on one of my " good days" and then ZAP everything drains out of me in 2 seconds flat, it takes all I can to drive around the corner to my house. This has happened in the past when I have someone with me and they look at me and say are you okay, you are white as a sheet.

I would bring it up to your Dr. for sure, but at the same time for me anyway, this is one of the many complications I experience from CFS.

Also the low blood pressure thing for me and the bone crushing tiredness on the spot are two different things. In other words when I am having my low blood pressure problems and almost passing out I don't nessesarily have the bone crushing tiredness, and vice versa.

Hope this helps a bit
    day2day
  10. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

What is it about grocery stores? I have normal blood pressure, but when I'm not doing well the first thing I notice is that I can't finish shopping. I'm hanging on the cart and then abandoning my wife to go sit in the car.
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes, I was like that in the early days.

I lost all my dignity, because I laid down on so many floors in so many awkward places. Have you ever lain on the floor at an airport? People look at you like you're a homeless person or something! lol

Have you seen Dr. Cheney's lecture on DVD? He explains why this happens to CFS patients. It's actually quite scary.

I've read Dr. Myhill explain that when the heart can't pump enough blood to the organs, a person has to lie down to prevent organ failure. It is very sobering.

But I think we all know what that feeling feels like. It's an absolute biological imperative. We know that we HAVE to lie down.

If it helps, this feature of my CFS has gotten better over time.

Love,
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  12. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

You should bring it up with your doctor.

It could be OI or hypoglycemia, but whichever it is you certainly aren't alone and your doctor should be able to test you.

When I am well enough to go to the grocery store I always use the scooters there, otherwise I can't make it halfway around. I bought my own scooter to use other places too and love it!

Good luck,

Shar