is this the right career for me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, May 28, 2006.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm currently in nursing school, however, I'm on summer vacation (thank goodness!). Sometimes I just worry that maybe this career isn't right for someone with CFS. What if I go through all this schooling, graduate (may 2007), work for a while, and realize it's harder than I thought it would be? Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I never really thought of how my career choice may be affected by my disease.

I'm currently working as a nurse's aid at a local hospital, to try to gain some extra clinical experience. It's been extremely helpful, but at the same time, it's been extremely rough. I cannot just leave work to lay down every time I have a fever or am feeling achy. Last night my fever went up to 100 degrees, and I was absolutely miserable. But, I had to work my way through it, and it was rough. Is this the way the rest of my life will be? Today I'm so achy I can barely move, I'm sure my fever will go up in a couple of hours, yet I still have to work. And the sad part is, I only work 16 hours a week! What will I do when I have to work 40 hours a week?

If anyone has some words of encouragement on how they deal with it, please share. I've said for the longest time that I will NOT let my CFS get in the way of accomplishing my dream. But I can barely function when I feel sick every single day of my life. Some days its so bad I literally forget to breathe!! How ridiculous is that?

Gentle hugs to all. Thank you for letting me ponder my life's journey out loud, lol.

Kim
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Nursing is a very demanding but rewarding career. And it has many ways you can work in your field.

You could become a school nurse, a nursing teacher, you could do private nursing, you could volunteer your time and special skills to a program like they have for fixing cleft lips etc....special smile programs (had a brain fog, tired moment)

Nursing school is stressful and maybe that's why you find yourself not feeling well.

When nursing is your career, maybe you can choose something that fits in with your DD and symptoms.

I wish you the best of luck,

Nancy B.
  3. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have fm and i work as a nurse 4 shifts a week. i have made certain adjustments do to this dd but it can be done and you can be very happy. i found that working the 3-11 shift works with my body better then working days or nights, it accomidates the insomnia and it lets me sleep in late in the morning when i'm really tired. also i work through a nursing agency instead of working for one hospital. this pays a little better so i can afford to work four days a week instead of five. also with the agency i tell them what days i will work instead of being at the mercy of someone elses scheduling. this way i usually work mon. tues. thur. fri. if it only do two days in a row i don't get as tired and it gives me more time to rest. nursing really is such a wonderful career that i enjoy so much, i've been doing it for 11 years now. i would really hate to think that you gave up on it just because of a diagnosis. there are so many ways in nursing that you can find a position that fits your personal needs and that you will enjoy.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kim,
    This is a hard one, I know. I would suggest finishing your studies, and then deciding. You might be able to transition to some kind of desk job.

I know nursing is a hard career. My mom was one. One Christmas I walked her "beat" giving out presents, and I had to soak my feet for 3 days. I couldn't get over the fact that she did that much walking every night!

There are nursing positions that don't entail a lot of lifting and walking around. You might have to go to another kind of facility, or work for the state, or do private nursing. You will always be in demand. Whatever you choose, don't forget to consider the retirement plan that is offered.
    Good luck,
    Terry
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...I have been logging a lot of the time in the hospital these days since my March diagnosis of leukemia. I couldn't be more appreciative of the hard work and dedication of my nurses and nursing aides---they seem endlessly patient and kind. I hardly ever encountered one who was short-tempered---and I knew they were often tired!

It IS tough work, a lot of standing, bending, lifting. I always try not to call them unless absolutely necessary, and try my best to be pleasant always---I recognize what a hard job it is.

I appreciate your dilemma, and I'm not sure what the best answer is---I just wanted you to know that nurses (and aides) are highly thought of, at least by this grateful patient.

Good luck----you'll make the right decision in time.

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  6. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I am also in school right now...but for Vet TEch. I will graduate next spring as well. I have been having a lot of doubts, and considered dropping out. Handling large animals to restrain and usch is very tough on my body.

At this point I am going to continue on, and see what happens. I am more limited in my choices with this degree, but it is what I love. For now I am trying to keep positive, although there are days I just cry. Perhaps soon I will hit on the right combo of treatment for me.

Misty