Is ultrasound txment, good or bad for your body?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jun 12, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

Just started ultrasound therapy (heat-generated by radio frequencies) for back and whiplash injuries incurred in an auto accident.

I trust my naturopath doing the ultrasound, however, my chiropractor, who's specialty is upper cervical adjustments, and also treating me, says that ultrasound tx can destroy healthy cells, as well as dead cells, i.e. scar tissue.

For that reason, the chiropractor, says he'd never used ultrasound because it contradicts the chiropractic goal of helping your body produce new cells (from increased nerve flow.) (He and his wife avoided ultrasound when she was pregnant - cause they didn't want to chance destroying any of the brain cells of their unborn child!)

Both my naturopath and chiropractor agree that ultrasound has been used for years, by all kinds of doctors, to treat back pain, and injuries like mine.

But what I'm wondering is: does my chiropractor has a legitimate reservation, or, is he just competing with the naturopath's approach.

I'd like to hear from those who've actually used ultrasound to treat soft tissue injury, like whiplash.

Also, if someone who has more info about how ultrasound tx works, I'd sure like to hear from you.

Thank you for your help.

Anna
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

chiro's can not use ultrasound. They are not licensed to do so only naturalpath.
    My naturalpath who also does adjustments uses ultrasound and it is wonderful. I would not have any reservations. Chiro probably needs your buisness.
    Judy
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

that ultrasound destroyed healthy cells. I've had ultrasound many times in physical therapy, and my chiropractor uses ultrasound therapy as well. I've had it for whiplash injuries twice, and also in physical therapy after back surgery. I just remember that it felt really good at the time.

As far as whether or not it's good or bad......who knows? I had a whiplash injury almost 18 years ago and had P.T. including ultrasound for 6 months and nothing helped. A chiropractor finally made the difference there. However, once I started having back problems and began seeing a different chiropractor, he used ultrasound as a regular part of my therapy. And the people we use for physical therapy use ultrasound too.

Karen

4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

When I first started having back Pain, the Ultrasound worked great, it was nice and relaxing, and helped to ease the deep muscle ache.

About 8 years ago, I noticed that it made me feel weird in a tingly way, and not good either. The weight and pressure hurt my skin now, so I no longer get the US.

I perfer the Soft Tissue Swedish Massage, mainly because It dosen't hurt me, it relaxes me, and when I can afford to go on a regular base, it really cutt's down on my Stiffness, and Joint Pain.

I have been noticing that my Massager's bother me too, I think it's the Electrical thing that we have, that makes it uncomforable for me now.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon