Is walking really tiring??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaymac, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Is walking really tiring on us FM/CFIDS? I mean sometimes I think maybe I'm just lazy or it is because I'm too fat. I can't walk malls anymore, or even WalMART!

So when I'm so tired before I finish my grocery shopping or leave Walmart, and my feet won't move and my legs are screaming, and I can't hardly pick up my feet to put them in the car.......this is the FM/CFIDS, right?

I ask this because I guess I second guess myself sometimes as tho this illness isn't that bad?? It must be me, do you understand what I'm saying? And also because there are others I have met or talked to that CLAIM they have FM and I see them lead normal lives.

I have always tolerated pain quite well, but the past 2 years my pain tolerance has dropped and when I can't walk the mall or Walmart, I doubt myself now. But darn it, it hurts! My legs go into spasms and ache to the bone and I can't lift them because they are soooo heavy. Make sense?

And also are we allowed to use the wheelchairs or carts at Walmart or stores? I'm afraid people will see me as fat and lazy and that I don't need one. Then others (church, family) will comment that I NEED to walk, it is good for me and then I really beat myself up because walking is so exhausting on me I can't imagine doing it to help me at this point in my life!

Any opinions?

kaymac
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I understand what you are going through, brcause I did, too. It sounds like CFIDS to me.

I led a normal life for 23 years with CFIDS, until I crashed. Now I'm lucky if I can walk to my mailbox, or out to the back to pick up dog do-do.

I use a cart at all the stores that have them. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to shop. I've been treated with great kindness, and no one has looked at me funny or said anything, and I'm no Twiggy. If anyone thought negative things about me, who cares? That is totally their problem.

Please don't care what people think. And as for those who tell you that you need to walk , have them tie 50 pound weights to their legs , wear them 24/7, and then let's see how far and how often they can walk. They will quickly change their tune. Oh, yes, we need to be hitting them with something so that they will have some idea of the pain we are in,too. (just kidding). LOL

Good luck, and have fun on the scooters.
    Terry
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

In a word - YES!

When I go shopping...I'm the one you see leaning on the cart. Even if I'm only getting one or two items.

You're not lazy, you're sick! And weight has nothing to do with it.

If you feel like you need to use one of the "go carts" at the store, I say Go for it! I have, and I don't care if people think I'm fat and lazy. I'll probably never see them again anyway so who cares!

So to answer your question...YES! walking is tiring!

God Bless.
  4. Linky

Linky New Member

kaymac,
    I too find it tiring to walk. My sister used to joke years ago that I could truely shop till I dropped. Anymore I dislike shopping due to the fact I know I will be exhausted and in tremendous amounts of pain. So you aren't the only one. It also angers me to no end when people tell me "oh all you need is some excercise, just take a walk." Little do these people understand what it is like to "walk in my shoes." I am constantly having these do-gooders telling me what I should or should not do. Also each one of us with this dd can do different things, so great, one person can take a walk and feel better, but please dont try to tell me because Sue or whomever you may know with this illness continues to work, and exercises regularly. We can only do what our bodies will allow us too. So back off and leave me alone, because I know what my body will allow me to do and you dont! It is sad but people seem to feel they should give us advice, give it to me if I ask for it but otherwise butt out! I feel for you kaymac, it is very sad for us with this not to even be able to accomplish what were simple tasks for us before we became ill. Whatever you do listen to your body, if it is telling you that youv'e done your fair share, then its time to rest. Good luck to you and all of us who suffer with this.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

maybe your pain tolerance hasnt dropped, maybe the pain has worsened.

Yes it's painful walking, some days more than others.

I said to my doctor that people would find it strange that somedays I used a walking stick, some days a wheelchair and some days I walk like normal. He said 'well, people will just have to get used to it'!!

So dont bother about others. If you are having a bad day and need to use a wheelchair or cart, then go right ahead.

love
    Rosie
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

I have some days now and then when I can walk briskly for 30 minutes and not tire. On the other hand, I have many days when I find walking out to the mailbox takes real determination. On good days, it's like someone flipped a switch to "on." The rest of the time that switch is definitely on "off."