is xylitol safe as a sweetener?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, May 4, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I remember doing a lot of research on xylitol before I started using it several months ago, and it seemed to come up pretty clean.

With the concern about sweeteners on this board, I was wondering if any of our members have heard anything unpleasant about it, or if any new research has come out? I use xylitol on a daily basis, and I like to be cautious about foods.

Looking forward to replies.
    (("no such thing as a safe lunch!")) wink - Shannon
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Not too sure about Xylitol but my Dr says Stevia is the safest and best sweetner so thats what I use. Lynn
  3. Shannonsparkles

I seem to get something of a die-off reaction to stevia though. :( Plus the taste is weird to me. I'm attatched to xylitol because it looks and tastes to familiar and is easy to cook with. But I still wonder about it from time to time...
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I just got an info sheet from our health food store- it says that xylitol is good for your heart and your teeth. Of course it's way better than sugar! I've been using it too and prefer the taste over stevia. Hope you are doing well! Terri
  5. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

i go to a dr. who does complementary medicine, and he highly recommends xylitol. it is not bitter like stevia. you can also cook with it. i think it is very sweet, so i use it sparingly.
    anne
  6. Shannonsparkles

Yeah, I know. The bathroom was like a HOBBY when I started using the stuff.

I bought xylitol during my candida phase, learning it wouldn't feed the bugs. I had been without any sweetener for a couple of years at that point. So at my first taste of xylitol, it was like, whoa! No holding back! I ate about a cup of it all at once. It took a couple of days for the GI tract to settle down. ;)

I do love cooking with xylitol!
    ((sweeeeeeeet)) Shannon