Is your computer making your Fibromyalgia worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Alyssa-Admin, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

2. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I had fibro several years before getting a computer however, posture while sitting at the computer makes a big difference. Making sure my body is supported properly, monitor at proper height so I don't get a crick in my neck or sore shoulders from hunching them. And even being careful with position of the mouse. I also have to be conscious not to tense my muscles and remember to get up at least once every 1/2 hour to walk around, get a cup of tea or wash a few dishes or laundry. Just something to get me moving so I don't get stiff. When I forget to get up often is when I have the worst pain. It is that way whether I am reading or on the computer, watching TV.
  3. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Very good point Willow. I actually use my laptop in bed. I have my hips better supported with a body pillow doubled up under my knees and around 5 pillows for support....sitting at a desk with a computer I know would be a nightmare. And you are right - posture, positioning of the monitor, getting the right mouse etc ....all counts. But! I seem to remember a few years ago reading/seeing this crystal that you put beside your computer that did something to the negative ions (or something like that!!!). Let's face it....We are living in a world that has so many things that could be affecting us - computers, mobile phones, tablets....nobody really knows how all of these things affect us. In saying that, a few days ago I was in the kitchen and had the radio on...heard static on the radio...and it was a text message that came through on my mobile. SO. If my mobile is doing that to the radio....what is it doing to ME and everyone else?! I now make sure I shut down my phone, laptop, tablet completely before going to bed...and I do seem to sleep better as well when I do this! Anyhoo - Willow - great tips! Thanks for sharing! A.x