is your fingers growing crooked?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Nov 14, 2006.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i posted about my hands being now swoll in the mornings and now lasting longer thru the day,
    and now my fingers-
    esp my pointer and middle fingers are bent at the top crook!!!!!!
    !and i have knots formed on the side of my pointer on both sides!!
    what??
    i was tested for no rhumatoid arthritis a long time ago- and they said i was false- positive.
    could it be that this is it
    along with the fibro and athritis?
    yikes!!!
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You might ask your doctor if you have "clubbing" of your fingers. I am not sure what causes it - I believe breathing problems.

Finger Clubbing

Finger clubbing is an enlargement of the tips of the fingers or toes and a loss of the angle where the nails emerge.

Finger clubbing occurs when the amount of soft tissue beneath the nailbeds increases. The reason this increase occurs is not clear, but clubbing seems to occur with some pulmonary disorders (lung cancer, lung abscess, bronchiectasis), but not with others (pneumonia, asthma, emphysema). Finger clubbing also occurs with some congenital heart diseases or, in some cases, may be inherited and not indicate any disease.

Recognizing Finger Clubbing

Finger clubbing is characterized by enlarged fingertips and a loss of the normal angle at the nail bed.

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  3. 143alan

143alan New Member

Yes I have to say my fingers are crooked. Both my index fingers are looking like a corkscrew. One joing twisting one direction and the next twisting the other. I also have knots on the joints of my thumbs, index and middle fingers.

I was tested negative for RA. My feet are also twisting and look awful and are terrible painful.

Good luck
    Nancy
  4. kat-E

kat-E New Member

With FMS/CFIDS this should not happen.
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have the nodules on my fingers and my fingers are slowly turning inwards. My doctor said it was probably the osteoarthritis.

I did tested positive for RA too. The doctor said it can sometimes mimic Fibro. He is treating me for Fibro, but monitors for RA. In his opinion, he thought Fibro was worse than RA.

Good luck!

Kim
  6. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

Hi,

I am also sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis, which just means that the test result was below the number assigned to RA. You can still have RA and be "sero-negative." They say that the disease will be less severe than someone who is sero-positive.

Without seeing your fingers, it's hard to tell, and we are not doctors. But twisted fingers are typical of RA, and the knots could be "RA nodules." Swelling is not part of fibro as far as I know - it may indicate inflammation and that may mean RA or Osteoarthritis.

Good luck,
    Margaret