Is your legs feeling heavy part of FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalley167, Jul 6, 2004.

1. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

My legs feel heavy and tired, like gravity is holding them down when I try to move. They ache some but the heavyness wears me out. I am really tired today. Just feel like I could sleep all day.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2004]
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I have FMS and CFS and heaviness in my legs was one of the first symptoms I had
  3. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

Bumping my own would like to hear if more have this.
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

This was also my first symptom, back when I was in my early teens. Maybe younger but I lived in a single story house and went to a single story school. I don't remember a lot about my childhood on a day-to-day basis until after I got into Jr. High.

But boy, I noticed it then! Staircases and gym classes! My legs have always been my major problem, along with fatigue. I know all about that heavy feeling. I can't walk up even a slight incline without feeling it. Sometimes I can't even take another step, my legs just won't move. An incline or stairs causes severe pain, I have to stop and let the pain "drain" out of them. That's just what it feels like. Parking lots feel miles long and I was forced to fence the yard so I wouldn't have to walk the dogs all the time - they don't understand "I can't do it now"!

By the way, it was my legs which finally got me a diagnosis.

JoAnn
  5. steelemagnolia

steelemagnolia New Member

Your first two paragraphs sound exactly like what I would have written.

I thought that all my FM problems started in 2002 after a virus, but, now I know that I have had this DD for many years.

Heavy legs and arms were definitely my first symptoms.

Steelemagnolia
  6. craziC

craziC New Member

I get this feeling. It's horrible. It's like I absolutely can not move my legs/arms - they feel so heavy.

And the fatigue goes right along with it.

Hang in there,
    Cheri
  7. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Yep, my legs feel heavy most of the time - when they aren't feeling like mush. Like the others I can recall my legs being painful as a young teen. The drs then said it was growing pains. Yeah right!!!!!

Stairs? Make me just want to cry. Walking through Wal Mart or long walks? Move over "feel the burn" Jane Fonda!! Although this weekend I actually walked 3 miles. We walked the canal walk in downtown Indianapolis. If I had known how long it was before starting I never would have. It was sheer willpower that got me through it without moaning and crying but I was to new friends who don't know about my 'condition'.
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I can no longer make it through a store,my legs just get heavier and heavier and then just stop completely,I cannot move them.It was my first symptom too
  9. cmcm

cmcm New Member

I too experience this sx. I find it hard to read the newspaper, holding it up, I just can't hold my arms up they get heavy and weak. I get the same feeling with my legs too. But I notice it more in the evening and if I try to walk up a flight of stairs.
    Now I am noticing that my arms and legs seem to fall asleep very easily. But I don't get that needle and pin pain with it. Just the numbness. Does anyone else find they have this sx as well?
  10. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have been awakened by my arm falling alseep, I don't remember having this problem before, just in the last few months.(i don't get the stinging pain but they tingle real bad) It seems hard to get it to wake up also. And I have had it where I am trying to read at night and just feel as if I can't hold my book and more. That my arms are to weak and heavy. I didn't realize this is all a part of the fibro. Thanks for the responses ,makes me feel like I am not just losing my mind.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2004]
  11. dottie_jean69

dottie_jean69 New Member

I have the heavy legs thing too, but it wasn't my first symptom. In fact I've had FMS 9 years, but only got this dragging-foot feeling the past year or two.

I wonder if it's related to herniated sacro-lumbar disks, or to peripheral neuropathy, or something else. It could also be from muscle atrophy due to decreased general activity level, or it could be from inappropriate muscle contractions interfering with easy movement.

I wonder if particular exercises or other treatments help it. Anyone have any ideas?
  12. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I had the heaviness in my arms and legs until I had surgery on my neck last year and haven't had it since. My neurosurgeon said that's a symptom of spinal problems and not FMS or CFS. He does research on the connection between FMS/CFS and neck/back problems. Also, the tingling in my limbs is gone as are several other symptoms that I thought was FMS/CFS. I had spinal stenosis along with several herniated discs which he fixed and I haven't regretted the surgery one minute.

I had no idea I had stenosis but I was born with it. It was left untreated for so long that it caused permanent damage but I am much better than I was before surgery. One way he determines if surgery will help you is for you to wear a soft collar 24/7 and if you feel better then the surgery will help you.

That is, if your problem is in your neck like mine was. My neck was so unstable and the collar really helped so I knew I needed the surgery. If you would like to read about my dr's research he has a website, his name is Dr. Dan Heffez. He is a wonderful caring Dr., unlike so many others I've run across.
  13. liwizard

liwizard New Member

i called it the old man walk. been doing it for 20 years. doc put me on mobic and it is almost gone!
  14. liwizard

liwizard New Member

i called it the old man walk. been doing it for 20 years. doc put me on mobic and it is almost gone!
  15. pao

pao New Member

Heavy arms was my most pronounced/limiting symptom and what kept me going from doctor to doctor. Is there anyone else that has arm (but not leg) weakness?
  16. pao

pao New Member

Heavy arms was my most pronounced/limiting symptom and what kept me going from doctor to doctor. Is there anyone else that has arm (but not leg) weakness?
  17. darude

darude New Member

How does this help heavy legs?
  18. darude

darude New Member

How does this help heavy legs?
  19. ceili

ceili New Member

One of the first symptoms I noticed was an inability to blow dry my hair anymore. :( I cannot raise my arms above elbow height or they just ache and give up. :(

Legs, oh yeah.......now I try to walk in the morning and my legs just won't carry me.

I thought this was b/c I have put weight on that I can't carry........but realized this all started before I put on the weight.
  20. ceili

ceili New Member

One of the first symptoms I noticed was an inability to blow dry my hair anymore. :( I cannot raise my arms above elbow height or they just ache and give up. :(

Legs, oh yeah.......now I try to walk in the morning and my legs just won't carry me.

I thought this was b/c I have put weight on that I can't carry........but realized this all started before I put on the weight.