Is your talking labored, just like your breathing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Besides the increased lightheadedness and nausea upon standing and the cold-weather triggered asthma flare-ups, when I talk, I can barely breathe and my chest sometimes hurts. On my job, I have to use my voice all day. By the time I get home, I'm like a one year old---I can say a few words, but cannot carry on a conversation. I used to love talking on the phone, but now it's just too stressful. Even when I can breathe, I'm still so exhausted and cannot show excitement in my tone, even if I am excited.
  2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I experienced the same thing the DR's even thought it was my heart. They gave me two different inhalers but I find that I have to use them all the time or it will come back. Talk to your DR he/she can prescribe predisone.
  3. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

I have and do experience this, I almost wish we could just be telepathic, words seem like a nuisance. Although I have always loved language and learning new vocabulary i find most of the time i sound retarded because i am not speaking the way i feel i should. My significant other is olde and I have to repeat things several times and it totally exasperates me. So I guess now i am a thinker much more than a speaker. Anyway merry Christmas
  4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Not me personally so much anymore, but a good friend of mine, also w/ FM and asthma has this problem, especially if it's damp, and once night comes. It's been going on for years. She recently had been scheduled to get her esophogas stretched but it was post-poned. Further tests showed she has nodules that affect her voice quality.
    So for her, it's a combination of the FM (throat is a muscle they told her and can spasm), asthma and nodules, and GERD. She hasn't decided on treatment for that (no cancer either), which would be surgery.
    Have you had an endoscope or other tests done to look for a possible problem?
    Take Care,
  5. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Some days it just takes too much effort to talk much and the people I work with think I am mad about something. I'm not mad I just don't have the breath or energy to talk much.

Some days I have trouble swallowing too. Anyone have that problem? It seems to go along with the trouble breathing. When I leave work in the afternoon, I walk a short distance to my car and find myself breathing so hard. It usually happens when I leave the warm office and hit the cold air. I figured it has something to do with that.

Also, some days when I am quiet, I hear myself with a wheezing sound when I breathe. I don't do it all the time but some days it worries me that I may be developing ashtma or something.

Maybe just the stress from this disease causes it all. I am usually at a loss of what to think about anything anymore.

Hope you had a wonderful and peaceful Christmas.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

I really feel for you. I say the same thing. It is hard to talk on the phone a lot, It takes too much air and really interferes with my heart. My predsione helps me. I know it is not good for me but it works for now and I am just glad to breath better. Others don*t know unless they have this problem. Take care and God Bless, Sherry