Is Zanaflex/Gabitral working for u?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zggygirl, Jul 5, 2003.

1. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    Theres been a few comments about it and I would love to hear more as I thought perhaps I could persuade my doctor to let me try this for pain?
    I see myself down up my knees begging at this point:p
    It didn't used to be this bad!
    "It will get better" should be my mantra lately.
    Thanks,
    Ziggy
  2. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I hope you don't mind me bumping this up in case it got missed the first go around :)-))
    Ziggy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Just stopped to give you another bump, your post was on the second page, and I know we have a lot of people here who do take Zanaflex. But this board is moving so fast, that posts are getting pushed back to the second page.

I do hope you can get that doctor to let you try this if you think it will help you without the begging.

I have been there too with the Xanax, gee they want to give you everything but what you know will work for you.

Take care............

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

months, 4mg at night. It helped me sleep and I did feel like I had a deeper sleep than normal. I quit taking it every night because I really haven't had trouble sleeping lately. In fact, just the opposite, I fall asleep sitting in a chair, can't keep my eyes open. Anyway, I really didn't feel that the Zanaflex helped with the pain, but if it's sleep you need, it will probably help you.

Dara
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I think the zanaflex is helping, I take it as a muscle relaxer also, I stopped the skelaxin as it did not seem to be working anymore, I take 4mgs at bedtime too.

Gabatril is not for pain, it is for stage 4 sleep, I have been on it almost 2 mo now, I think it is helping too, I wake up a lot with horrible sweats, wake up drenched several times a night, I think this is due to my adenal tumor, hopefully they will just take it out, I am really tired of dripping 24/7.

The gabatril is definitely a drug you want to go immediately to bed after you take it, it works like ambien as far as hallucinations, strange psychological effects.

Jaci
  6. franners

franners New Member

I take Zanaflex. Like it too... It is a muscle relaxer that is very mild. I started with a script Of 1 or 2 pills of 2mg at bed time. I am now taking 6mg at bedtime. Four 4mg caps of neurontin and the Zanaflex and I get four hours sleep sometimes five.
    The Neurontin has been the best for pain and it even helps moods..
    But you must ask yourself, "Self, what kind of pain and I having?" Take this info to doc.. I am so happy mine found his way to educating himself about FM/CFS...
    I know, I know.. I harp on the breathing exercise, but when we hurt we get anxious. When we get anxious we hurt more... And so on and so forth.. What do we do when we get in our relaxing bath or participate in aroma therapy? We breath..... Try it just one time when you hurt...
  7. KayL

KayL New Member

for almost a year. It worked great to help me sleep. However, one of the rare side effects of Zanaflex is hallucinations, and a few months ago I started having hallucinations that I would wake up with, and no they were not dreams.

I discussed it with my doc and we cut my dosage from 8 mg to 4 mg, but I was still having them. I quit taking it a few weeks ago and I miss my sleep!

The only sugestion I can offer is, if you are going to try Zanaflex, start on the lowest dose possible and work up from there. I found it to be excellent for sleep.

Karen
  8. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your input and the bump! Ther more I read about Zanaflex the less I am wanting to experiment on my body.
    I've tried so many things, and hallucinations? Well just the thought scares me.
    Franners I am glad you keep reminding us to breath. I have been told over and over by so many who know that it DOES help. And I know from experience that it does.
    Sometimes I just can't make myself slow down enough to do it! Maybe another 10 years of people like you reminding me will finally get through my thick skull.
    Shirl, no I won't beg ;-) but I do feel like my life is in my doctors hands at times. Weird to feel that way I guess.
    I think I have asked about xanax six times now to 3 different doctors. No go. I used to take it and I know it works. I may have to resort to alternative resources until somebody listens!
    Take Care,
    Ziggy