Is ZMA keeping anyone else awake out there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Sep 4, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

Started on ZMA 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that I'm more alert during the day. Unfortunately, I've also gotten more alert during the evening. Have been on 'sleep assistance' meds and now with ZMA they don't work any longer. I've switched three times on sleeping pills and none of them take the edge off the ZMA (2 pills at bedtime). Any suggestions - it gets lonely in the middle of the night listening to the cats bowling each other down the hallway.
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

Started on ZMA 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that I'm more alert during the day. Unfortunately, I've also gotten more alert during the evening. Have been on 'sleep assistance' meds and now with ZMA they don't work any longer. I've switched three times on sleeping pills and none of them take the edge off the ZMA (2 pills at bedtime). Any suggestions - it gets lonely in the middle of the night listening to the cats bowling each other down the hallway.
  3. contessa

contessa New Member

It takes 2 hours to see results for me (Nope, I don't do caffeine) Also have Ambien available as needed. Used to work within 10 minutes - nadda now. My intial break came on because I couldn't sleep. Hate the fact that it's back again but at least I don't have to put on a happy face and go into the office now. I suspect I'll have to see the Doc again, hate that because then it's one more contact for my insurance company which slows up my disabilty claim. Maybe after 5 months of waiting for that I'm just getting a real case of Nervous Nellie.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have been taking the ZMA since Feburary, and am still sleeping great. This is what I am doing, maybe might help you too:

At 6pm I take 0.25 milligrams of Xanax (calms my 'racing' brain down)

At 10pm I take two ZMA

At bedtime I take 3 milligrams of Melatonin

I tired to 'back' this up, thinking I would go to sleep earlier, and wake up earlier, but it didn't work, I woke up earlier, but it was 4am! I was so tired it was not any help.

So went back to my usual routine.

I sure hope the ZMA keeps working for me, I have not slept this well in my whole life.

Maybe Mel is right, try one capsule instead of two. You might not need that much. I am a very poor eater, so I no doubt need the additional supplements it adds.

Sure hope you start sleeping well.

Shalom,Shirl

5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i would stop taking them at night if they were keeping you up. sleep is our most important "thing". i could not take them at night either. i am taking one during the day, around noon. taking 2 gave me headaches (or it might have been something else coincidental) so i am trying just 1 for the rest of the bottle.

since it is for muscle repair, i am hoping the extra mag. will help with the muscle aches.

warm regards, fibolady
  6. Suze

Suze New Member

It shouldn't be too hard to find if you're interested. Yes, I had trouble sleeping with ZMA. Woke up after three hours and many times thereafter.

Suze
  7. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

keeps me wide awake all night. I dont know why it works for some and not for others.
    I,m wondering if melatonin would have the same effect i.e does the fact that zma keeps me awake mean that melatonin would also have the same effect.
    love therese
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Melatonin is completely different from ZMA. Here is an article on it:

Can Melatonin Be an Alternative and Safe Treatment for Patients with Fibromyalgia?
    ImmuneSupport.com

05-03-2000

Summary A recent month-long pilot study aimed to determine the effects of melatonin on fibromyalgia (FM) patients suffering from interrupted sleep, fatigue and pain. In this open study, 21 patients with FM were given 3 mg of melatonin at bedtime. Patients were evaluated in a number of areas during the study:
    Tender point count - key locations on the patient's body will hurt when pressed, but do not cause pain in other parts of the body.

Visual analogue scale (VAS) – a simple scale where pain is measured on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "no pain" and 10 being the "worst possible pain." Sleep disturbances, fatigue, depression, and anxiety.

Urine 6-sulphatoxymelatonin (aMT-6S) levels were also measured during the study. Simply, the body converts melatonin mostly to aMT-6S and then excretes it in the urine. The amount excreted is measured and melatonin production can be assessed. This level was measured in the patient group and in 20 age- sex-matched control groups.

At day 30, 19 of the 21 patients had completed the study. The same evaluations that were run at the start of and during the study were run at its end. Significant improvements were found during tender point count, VAS measurements, pain severity, and sleep disturbances. Slight improvement was noted in other areas (fatigue, depression, and anxiety). Side effects were mild and brief. Lower levels of aMT-6S were found in the FM patients, compared with normal levels in the control groups.

Results of this study suggest that melatonin can be an alternative and safe treatment for patients with FM, although additional studies are needed.

Abstract Citera G, Arias MA, Maldonado-Cocco JA, Lazaro MA, Rosemffet MG, Brusco LI, Scheines EJ, Cardinalli DP

Rheumatology Section, Instituto de Rehabilitacion Psicofisica and Department of Physiology, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The aim of the study was to determine the possible effect of melatonin treatment on disturbed sleep, fatigue and pain symptoms observed in fibromyalgia (FM) patients. Twenty-one consecutive patients with FM were included in an open 4-week-duration pilot study. Before and after treatment with melatonin 3 mg at bedtime, patients were evaluated using tender point count by palpation of 18 classic anatomical regions, pain score in four predesignated areas, pain severity on a 10 cm visual analogue scale (VAS), sleep disturbances, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and patient and physician global assessments, also by a VAS. Urine 6-sulphatoxymelatonin levels (aMT-6S) were measured in the patients and 20 age- and sex-matched controls. Nineteen patients completed the study. One patient withdrew because of migraine and another was lost to follow-up. At day 30, median values for the tender point count and severity of pain at selected points, patient and physician global assessments and VAS for sleep significantly improved with melatonin treatment. Other variables improved but did not reach statistical significance. Adverse events were mild and transient. Lower levels of aMT-6S were found in FM patients compared with normal median controls (+/-SD, 9.16 +/- 7.9 microg/24 h vs 16.8 +/- 12.8 microg/24 h) (p = 0.06). Although this is an open study, our preliminary results suggest that melatonin can be an alternative and safe treatment for patients with FM. Double-blind placebo controlled studies are needed.

PMID: 10752492, UI: 20214157

ent from ZMA
  9. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

I was a bit cautious about buying some melatonin because I was wondering if the zma didnt wotk the melatonin wouldnt either but I think I might as well give it a go.
    I see that for sue the melatonin works at night and the zma during the day... maybe thats the answer.
    love therese
  10. contessa

contessa New Member

I gave up Melatonin a couple of years ago after doing research on it and finding it was contra-indicated when using anti-depressants. I also found that after several months I really wasn't sleeping any better anyway. Also, the research I've done on ZMA has been towards its muscle-repair qualities (resistance training). That research says that it works during sleep to help generate hormones (notably testoterone/which is why I'm thinking it's keeping me awake - all that guy juice kicking in). The testosterone and growth hormone reproduction kick into high gear during sleep. I really haven't thought of ZMA as a sleep enhancer except this group brought it up. I do know magnesium is a wonderful mineral to have in our bodies. Like everything else going on in our painful lives - so many variances. Great to look at things from so many angles without being 'in each others' face' over it. Thanks for your input!!