Is Zoloft safe to take? Crummy doctor!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Prunella, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

The doctor just gave my 18 yr old daughter a one month sample pack of Zoloft. He is a psychyatrist and she was seeing a psychologist there before that.

She is suffering from depression which I realize, but her diet is terrible (poor vegetarian diet and low iron and blood sugar) and I know she was depressed before the diet. The diet has made a bad situation worse. She also has ADD and a learning disability and school was torture for her. I wish she would take fish oil and improve her diet but she won't do that.

I have heard bad things about Zoloft, especially when it comes to coming off of it. Does any one have any experiences with Zoloft? I would like to hear from you. She wants to take it and start soon.

I went with her as was agreed upon by the previous psychologist and my daughter. When we got there today this psychiatrist was rude to me and said, "She is 18, what are you doing here?" I said it was OK with my daughter and I had some concerns I wanted to discuss with him. He actually rolled his eyes at some of my questions!!! Right in front of my daughter. I am sure he put me in the category of overbearing mother. After I left she came out with a sample of Zoloft.

We pay for her visits, no insurance for that. She is my daughter and I care what happens to her. I am related to doctors and socialize with doctors and have never seen anything like this. She agreed that he was rude to me, but she said he was OK with her and she is happy to get the meds she wanted.

It was a bad experince and I am fighting back the tears. She's got the pills and now will do what she wants.
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I had a good experience with it , and so did my teenage daughter who developed depression. I have known lots of other people who have taken it , and none of them had
    bad experiences . It has been around quite a while .
  3. nazman

nazman New Member

I used Zoloft 1994 to 2000 it worked very well. I should be taking it now (depression) I will not touch any of the SSRI's again. It was hell to stop taking them. I still to this day think my brian was damaged by these drugs. Do as much research as you can. Do a google search for Zoloft side effects. I read a paper saying doctors and researchers will not study the bad effects of these new drugs because of fear the big drug companies will destroy their careers. Good Luck
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

A psychiatrist that I work with told me Zoloft was the safest antidepressant on the market. It should help your daughter with ADD also. With ADD, the brain is always racing, especially at night when trying to go to sleep. Zoloft should help that a lot. If it helps her, she might not ever want to go off it.
  5. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

since the death of my brother and she loves it. And what a difference it makes in her depression. She's calmer, can think clearer to get things done.

I would say give your daughter a chance with it to see if it works for her. Just because the doctor was abrupt with you during that visit, doesn't mean he's a bad doctor. :eek:)

Take it from someone who's been in and out of therapy for years and a mother with adult children.He was just more focused on her speaking up for herself with out reservation.

You have every reason to be concerned for her well being, Just give them both a chance to establish communication. Jackie
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

First, the rude doc -- that's up to your daughter and you.

Second, the Zoloft. I was on it for 3 years for post-partum depression following a miscarriage. It worked very well, and I would say that it saved my life. After the 3 years, it wasn't working as well any more, and I was moved to Effexor. The nurse-practitioner I see that is monitoring this gave me a schedule of how to ramp down from one and ramp up to the other. It went very smoothly -- no strange side effects.

But you are right in that someone taking it should NOT go off it suddenly -- get help from a doctor who knows the ins and outs before doing that.
  7. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Hello prunella,
    I took Zoloft for about 3 years and it did really help me with my depression and my anxiety. I have to say that I am grateful for that. The only down side, as others have said, is getting off of it. I tried stopping cold turkey in the beginning and it was not fun, then I did it very slowly, it took me about 6 months to totally come off of it. The most important thing is not to stop abrubptly(spelling?). If she does, she can have really wacky withdrawal effects such as severe mood swings (I wanted to cry and scream at the same time and I was very mean to my poor husband).

Anyway, I definitely agree that doctor seems like a jerk, and I totally understand your reaction to him, I'm sure my mother would have done the same thing!

I have to say that Zoloft really can be a lifesaver and sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks. If she really wants to take it, she can discuss the proper way to get off of it when she's ready with her doctor. As for changing her diet, hopefully she will come around but I know she has a mind of her own. I hope everything turns out well for you and for her.

Jessica
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It has the same Omega Oils as Fish Oil. I'm not sure whether krill is classified as animal or vegitable.
  9. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I was on Zoloft for 10 years and just changed to Cymbalta about a year ago to see if it would help with back pain. Not sure about the back pain, but since the MD upped it to 120mg a day, my mood is much better. Some days I even hear music in my head. (That's a good thing.) It is important to wean off the Zoloft over a couple of weeks. I stopped taking it once without slowly reducing it and my blood pressure went sky high. Sometimes you have to try several anti-depressants before you find one that works and agrees with you.

Go with your gut on the doctor. I've given way too many MDs a second chance, when I should have just stopped seeing them.

Hope your girl feels better soon. My husband has ADD and it's a daily struggle. Take care,

Francie
  10. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Prunella. I have been on and off Zoloft for the past 10 years (more on than off), for depression/anxiety and for the fibro. I have tried switching a few times, to other antidepressants with horrible results. I had no problems getting off of the zoloft, but I tapered the dose down. I take 50mgs and it seems to help. No major side effects for me. If anything, getting used to it the first two weeks was the worst.

I think as long as your daughter starts at a low dose and gradually works her way up, if needed, she should be fine.

You have to take everything you read in the paper and in the news with a grain of salt. If it helps your daughter, then I would disregard all the negativity you may be receiving or reading about. All drugs have warnings, even tylenol. As long as she's under a dr's care ( and yes he was rude, but more importantly, as long as your daughter trusts him, and that they communicate well, that's what counts).

I know as a mother it worries us to have our children on meds. My daughter is now 20, and last year she went through a horrible bout of anxiety and I thought for sure she was going to be placed on zoloft or paxil. For her just a few klonopin a week did the trick. It was the initial getting used to college life that caused the anxiety. Had she needed the zoloft, I would have been behind her 100%.

My best to you and your daughter.

Rene
  11. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

My teenage DD is vegetarian too, and refuses to take the fish oil. Not just because of the "fish" aspect, but also because the capsules are gelatin-based and that's an animal product too. (From the bones)

Anyway, she has turned to Flax Oil. It's a plant product and comes in a liquid form. She says the taste "isn't too bad" and she just measures the needed amount into a drink or even applesauce and swallows it that way.

Maybe your daughter would consider this?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  12. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my post. Your messages about Zoloft were more positive than I expected. Right now she says she is too down to do the self help things. She does eat flax oil on bread sometimes.

She did not start it today, because she went out with friends tonite and didn't want to worry about side effects.

If Zoloft does help with ADD too, then maybe this is just what she needs. She barely graduated from high school and is starting at the local technical college next Thurs. She says she needs it in order to do well in college. Acesnanna, you are right, at least she is being proactive about the whole situation, even if it is not the way I would do it. She is a beautiful, thoughtful girl, but her moods and irritability are making her and us miserable.

I did make an appt for her to see a naturapathic doctor next Fri. I doubt if she will wait on the meds till then, but I hope she still goes.

I know this has been a little off topic. She just got over a very bad 3 wk cold and had severe mono less than 2 yrs ago. I don't want to see her end up getting sick like I got. Also, when she is stressed it affects me too. I caught that awful cold too, but mine lasted 2 wks. This is the first time someone got something and stayed sick longer than me. That is so unusual that it really scared me!

This board has been so wonderful! I am always amazed by all the kind, caring people here. I will keep you posted on how things are going. God bless you all!

Prunella
    (I don't use my real name because I sometimes tell friends about this board and I don't want to embarrass any of my family members. It is nice to able to come here and talk and not worry about gossip.)
  13. crazydaisy0578

crazydaisy0578 New Member

I no longer take it, but when I was first ill I became so depressed I withdrew from life and laid in bed all day. After my first week of zoloft, I got out of bed and got back to life. I now take cymbalta because my rheumy said it could be better for the pain. I can't say enough but thank goodness that I was given that medication. I now go to school full time, work full time, and lead a productive life.
  14. Sonoradora

Sonoradora New Member

It helped me feel almost completely better depression wise, and one of the side effects I experienced (bad for me, possibly good for your daughter *wink*) is that it totally made sex repulsive to me! LOL
  15. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I had suffered with low level depression and social anxiety from the age of 12, but managed to live a normal life in spite of it. Then around menopause, I dipped into a deep depression that I could not get out of. I knew I needed help and I went to a psychiatrist who put me on zoloft.

I just can't tell you the difference it made in my life! I was always a worrier and also suffered from anxiety and was showing some signs of OCD. The zoloft totally took all that away and I was very happy for the first time in my life!

I eventually weaned myself off after about a year and even though I was off the zoloft, I had no more social anxiety, constant worry or OCD. Since I had a year break from the symptoms, it must have been enough to change my brain chemistry to the good.

I say this because she may not have to be on it long-term. It may just give her the break she needs to resolve a lot of issues and then she can go off of it. I had to go back on when I developed FMS, but am now off again after 2 years and doing fine.

I did not have a hard time going off the zoloft and I do remember reading that it has the least side-effects of all the anti-depressants.

You may notice that her moodiness will resolve itself on the zoloft. She may just be easier to live with.

Her Dr. has prescibed it, she seems to have wanted something to help her, so if I were you, I would just watch her closely as there have been some studies of increased suicidal thoughts when first taking it, but I really feel it has more to do with the SSRI's not working very quickly. It takes a good month to 6 weeks for it to work, depending on the dose.

She (and you!) will probably not notice the change as it is gradual and one day about a month or so into it, she will think back and say "I do feel a lot better."

Take care and God bless you! I know this must be hard on you because you want your daughter to feel better.

Sally
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

I noticed in a follow-up post that your daughter's mood swings were an issue -- has she been tested for hormone levels? Natural progesterone cream helped a lot for me as well (I used it w/good results before the miscarriage, but the post-partum swings were too deep).

Another thing you mention, the mono. Basically, that's Epstein-Barr, isn't it? A lot of us here suffer from chronic EBV, and if she had high levels, perhaps she should be treated for that as well.

I remember how stubborn that age can be. All you can do is give her information and support her in her quest to find the answers.
  17. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Thanks again for all your help. She recovered amazingly well from the severe mono she had. Her problems are more emotional. The woman who had depression and social anxiety since age 12 sounds a lot like her. I'm sorry I can't scroll up right now to remember your name, but your post really was helpful.

Peppergirl, I never go in to her dr. visits with her. I was invited to part of her last session with the psychologist and it was my daughter and him that suggested I go in for part of this one. I had no intention of staying there and made that clear from the start. I just had a few questions I wanted to ask him. Also, we had just recieved results from her internest the day before saying that she was clinically anemic. When I mentioned that to him, he said "No, she's not and grabbed test results out of my hand. Her only looked at p.1 and not p.2 where her ferritin levels were below normal and the internist had written in her own hand that she was clinically anemic. I had to show it to him again and read it to him while he rolled his eyes. His whole attitude was like that. Simply put, he was a jerk. My daughter is very independent,but she wanted me in there for part of the time. It was her choice. He just had a lot of preconcieved notions. I am not an overbearing mother. Thanks for telling us that the side effects come on slowly. I'll mention that to her. She had just started her iron pills which can cause gastric upset,so that was another reason she waited on the Zoloft. She is eager to take them, so you don't have to worry about her putting them off.

Has anone noticed weight gain being a side effect? She is a pretty girl at just the right weight, although she thinks she is "fat" (which is part of the depression). Gaining weight would depress her.
  18. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think it is okay if you want to be involved in your daughter's care. Just make sure she signs a paper that you can have access to her records.

Legally she is an adult at 18 but I can tell you from having a learning disabled child that they mature at their own pace, and not necessarily in a linear chronological fashion. Depending on the Learning disability they can be anywhere from 2 to 5 years behind on the curve. they follow there own pattern and can not be compared to a neurotypical person, you have to compare them to themselves and their own progress. They can be very naive sometimes.

If you still need to oversee some aspects of her medical care that is ok.

My daughter is 17 with the personality profile and behaviors of a 14 year old. she will get there, in her own time. She met all her developmental milestones somewhat late. I expect that will continue to be her pattern.

Incidentally she also takes Zoloft and she has done very nicely on it. It cuts down on her obsessive behaviors and social anxiety. She is on 100 mg. right now.

Was the dr. aware of the learning disability before he saw her? I would be very leary of a dr. that knew a patient was LD and would not allow some degree of parental involvement.

Maybe others dont agree but thats my personal experience and it comes from the heart.

Michelle
  19. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I took Zoloft back in 1995. This drug was definately not for me. My doctor had given me this drug at 50mgs. I had undiagnosed fibromyalgia at the time, but, the doctor just thought I was just depressed.

First of all, this drug made me feel like I was under water. I couldn't feel depressed or happy, just completely dull and emotionless, but, that wasn't the reason I got off the drug, it also made me feel like I was having a heart attack. My mother almost took me to the emergency room because of it. I was up the entire night with my poor mom cradling me in her arms. I would not recommend this drug at a high dose like I took. I personally do not like antidepressants, I have been on 4 of them back in the 90's and they only made my condition much worse, not better. Please be careful with this choice of drug if you choose to give it to your daughter. Good luck. Chelz.
  20. TNUtammy

TNUtammy New Member

My doctor switched me from paxil to zoloft about a month ago and it seems to be working just as well as the paxil I'd been taking for years. Plus, it doesnt make me quite as sleepy so that helps a lot with my cfs. The only thing I noticed was after a week of taking the zoloft, it upset my stomach pretty bad for about 3 days straight. After that everything went back to normal, so I'm glad I stuck it out to give the new meds a chance.