Isolating A Moldy Area While You're Still in Your Home

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenbooks13, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. jenbooks13

    jenbooks13 New Member

    I'm pretty sure the moldy room (or moldiest/serious mold) in my home is my 2nd bedroom. Having discovered dry rot in the walls/shelving that I removed, and then the room becoming much worse for me (smells musty no matter what), but then realizing chronic bad sinus congestion/green stuffy mucus while sleeping in there might actually be mold related, I moved into my big bedroom, threw out my bed (because of contamination I figured must be in it) and am using 3 thermarest camping mats for the time being as theyre so innocuous and mold free.

    I put window fans (Holmes double fans) in both the large bedroom and livingroom windows. I opened the window in the small bedroom, put on an air filter, and then closed the door to the small bedroom. Obviously that doesn't seal it off, and air can get through, but it does limit exposure.

    I spoke today with Carl Grimes, a mold expert on the sickbuildings group and was asking his advice. I hadn't told him what i did with the fans etc, when he started to suggest that for the time being I could isolate that room with negative air pressure, I started to explain exactly what I'd done. I was gratified that he said that's exactly what I should be doing and added, "In 21 years of speaking with people you're the first person who understood and came up with that on her own."

    If mold is not through your whole house, but in a certain area, and you want a safe, room create negative air pressure that way. Get the double window fans that blow in fresh air from outside and keep them on 24/7. Then keep a window open and door closed int he moldy room (s) and you will sweep out a lot of the spores and decrease your spore count a lot.

    That's until you can figure out what to do ie remediate or move.

    He also said he isn't so much concerned with the type of mold, as if you're having mold symptoms, you're sensitive, and you must remove the mold or yourself, until you do so you will remain symptomatic.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  2. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    That's great that you figured that out, Jen!

    I hope it helps for the time being.

    I tried similar types of things. I put duct tape over the visible spots on my carpet to hopefully catch some of the spores and ran a UV light air filter to zap mold and bacteria spores. It was just to get me through those last three months.

    Yeah, I can see that in your case, where it's clear that the mold is causing your symptoms, you wouldn't need to know what kind of mold it was. It would just satisfy curiosity, I guess.

    Erik did mention using negative air pressure also. And he mentioned using plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal off an area. I think that might be what mold remediators do.

  3. jenbooks13

    jenbooks13 New Member

    I have no idea what the source of moisture is. My building was built in 1931. In 2000 they repointed the brick and replaced girders for 4 years. It was in that bad shape structurally. There is probably a decades long history of water intrusion and of leaks as well throughout the building. Moisture testing that wall did not reveal any unusual damp spots at that time. I say dry rot, the wood had definitely rotted away at the wall and was dry. But there is a mold problem in that room and I'm a renter. It could be that mold is in the walls and flares up in damp humid conditions for instance or on damp humid days or during rainstorms. Though the brick has now been completely repointed, who knows.

    In addition as Lisa has pointed out some molds sporulate when dry (such as stachy). I've got a name of somebody who is an expert who can come in and look but it seems to me that remediating the bathroom and the bedroom while living here would be extremely expensive and difficult. I do know of another renter who fought with the landlord for about a year and finally got remediation. He was housed elsewhere for 2 weeks and the place was "decontaminated". However he has no mold allergies. I'm concerned that decontamination would not be sufficient and if I did have extensive remediation it would spread the spores all over. So for the time being that is my inexpensive solution.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2008]

[ advertisement ]