"It is impossible to get the flu from the flu vaccine."

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by gapsych, Sep 26, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

From myKawartha.com. Online Kawartha Newspaper.

New study raises questions about flu shot/H1N1 virus link
    "It is impossible to get the flu from the flu vaccine." Date: 2009-09-24
    By Lauren Gilchrist

Unpublished Canadian data suggesting people who received a flu shot last year are twice as likely to catch the H1N1 flu virus this year has the health community talking.
    But Dr. Rosana Pellizzari, local medical officer of health, cautions against putting too much weight in these preliminary findings. The findings were drawn from a series of studies from British Columbia, Quebec and Ontario. She reminds people that these findings have not been published, and have not been held up to peer review from the scientific community.

"The evidence is not very strong," she notes.

"This [the findings] has not been reproduced or replicated anywhere else, in any of the other country that has done research."

She notes the preliminary findings shouldn't deter people from getting either the seasonal flu shot, or the specific H1N1 flu shot this season. But she does say this unpublished data is one of the reasons why the Province announced on Thursday (Sept. 24) that they are going to change their flu campaign this year in Ontario.

Dr. Pellizzari says people 65 and older, and residents of a long-term care residence will be offered the seasonal flu vaccine in October.

"They are not particularly at high risk for H1N1, but they are at high risk for seasonal influenza," she explains.

She says the Province has decided this November, the H1N1 pandemic vaccine will replace the season flu vaccine people typically get.

"That's because that's the virus that's circulating," she says.

"We certainly expect that we may have an early wave of H1N1 flu here in Ontario. So as soon as the vaccine becomes available, the plan is to get it out to people in the community to people who want it."

Dr. Pellizzari says those in a high risk group, such as people with chronic medical conditions under the age of 65, and pregnant women, will receive the H1N1 vaccine first, if they want it.

She explains that once the high risk groups are vaccinated, then it will be opened up to the rest of the community in November or December.

"What the Province is trying to do, is it's trying to make it easier for people in that if you're going to get one vaccine, the one they want you to get is the pandemic one."

And Dr. Pellizzari lays to rest the rumour that you can get the flu from the flu vaccine.

"Absolutely not. The flu shot is not a live vaccine, it is an inactive virus," she says.

"It is impossible to get the flu from the flu vaccine."

[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Are you in Canada, Gap? I thought I recalled GA ...

Not every country is using the same vaccine manufacturers & formats.

In the USA, what is recommended for kids (& several doses for most kids, I believe) & certain others is the nasally-administered LIVE vaccine. Attenutated -- OK, but live nevertheless.

Most live vaccines are given in an attenuated form. For as many decades back as I can recall, there's always been a caveat emptor w/live vaccine -- the disease itself is a possibility.

Soooo -- if Canada is using all inactivated vaccine, the reasoning in the article holds. But it doesn't necessarily hold for all H1N1 vaccines administered here in the USA.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

9/26/2009
    U.S. agency questions link between seasonal flu shot and swine flu (The Star, edited)

U.S. agency questions link between seasonal flu shot and swine flu

September 25, 2009
    Helen Branswell
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control would be eager to see final or even preliminary data from an unpublished Canadian study that appears to link getting a seasonal flu shot with catching swine flu, the agency's director said today.

Dr. Thomas Frieden reiterated that the CDC has looked for and failed to find a similar link in data from the U.S. as a whole and in New York City, where he was health commissioner during last spring's large swine flu outbreak.

"But nothing that we've seen suggests that that's likely to be a problem," Frieden said today during the CDC's weekly update for the media on the pandemic flu situation.

The unpublished Canadian study, looking at records from about 2,000 people in British Columbia, Quebec and Ontario, is the source of some consternation internationally and has led to revisions in seasonal flu vaccine delivery schedules in parts of Canada.

A group of provinces – Ontario, Saskatchewan and likely British Columbia – have decided to have a three-step vaccination program this fall, only offering seasonal vaccine to people 65 and older and long-term care facility residents in October. Following the pandemic vaccination program, which will start in November, seasonal vaccination efforts may be resumed, depending on what is learned in the interim about the study.

Frieden, who was providing an update on when pandemic vaccine will be ready in the U.S., appeared to be trying to downplay the troubling findings, which are being referred to as "the Canadian problem" by some outside this country.

"It's something that we haven't seen in any of our data, nor would there be a real explanation, technically or scientifically, of how that might happen," he said.

"But we take every concern seriously and we will absolutely look at any data that is made available to us. But what I can say again is that we've looked very carefully at our own data in this country. I've looked at data from New York City. Australian data have been analyzed very carefully. And none of it suggests any problem from getting the seasonal flu (shot) in terms of H1N1."

A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency is in active discussions with Canadian colleagues and other vaccine experts about the data.

Meanwhile, the issue has caught the attention of the CDC's Team B, a group of outside experts that the CDC has set up to critique and offer advice on the agency's pandemic response.

Dr. David Sencer, who headed the CDC during the 1976 swine flu crisis, said via email that "it is likely that Team B will discuss" the data and the dilemma they pose.

Other members of Team B are antiviral expert Dr. Frederick Hayden of the University of Virginia, Dr. Marc Lipsitch, an infectious diseases modelling expert from Harvard University, and Dr. Harvey Fineberg, head of the U.S. Institute of Medicine and author of the report on the 1976 swine flu affair.

In that incident, fears of a swine flu pandemic led to the vaccination of more than 40 million Americans. The virus never took off, but about 500 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome that were thought to be linked to the vaccine were reported, and 25 people died from the paralytic condition.

In Canada, Chief Public Health Officer Dr. David Butler-Jones concurred that "it would be very unusual" for a vaccine to increase the risk of catching another strain of the same virus type.

"It's an unusual finding," he said Friday during a media conference in Ottawa.

"It's not been seen before with ... seasonal influenza vaccines. It's been studied in several other countries quite extensively. They have not found the same relationship. So we're not sure exactly why we've seen that or the suggestion of that. I think a lot more work needs to be done."

That work includes an independent arms-length assessment of the data, which is underway.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sorry, I'm confused. Which point is moot?

My earlier response was in reply to >>>It is impossible to get flu from a flu shot>>> -- which was your header for this thread, and also the concluding quoted statement made by the Cdn doctor.

I contrasted that statement -- and your thread header -- with the reality of the situation here in the USA, where live virus is being used for some vaccinations. We could get into shot vs. nasal, however, the average board user is probably unaware of certain distinctions between the 2 routes of vacc admin. Furthermore, some live vaccines in general, historically (possibly not those at present) have been given by injection.

Both seasonal flu vaccine and H1N1 swine flu vacc are available as live intranasally administered vaccination, here in the USA. All live vaccs carry some risk of disease.

I see you've now posted on what appears to me to be a somewhat different track -- I'm having trouble making the connection ... could you please clarify for me. What's moot?

If you're saying it doesn't matter whether or not people are told that they DO risk contracting flu from a vaccine -- or that it's OK to tell them there is no risk, when there may be (depending on which vacc is administered) -- well, differ strongly with you on that issue.

Best wishes.

>>Idiom Definitions for 'Moot point'
    If something's a moot point, there's some disagreement about it: a debatable point. In the U.S., this expression usually means that there is no point in debating something, because it just doesn't matter. An example: If you are arguing over whether to go the beach or to the park, but you find out the car won't start and you can't go anywhere, then the destination is said to be a moot point.>> From usingenglish.com[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2009]