It just keeps getting worsr and worse....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Dec 2, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

The pain and brain fog especially. Last night my 14 month old found one of my pills on the floor. I didn't realize it untill I saw him chewing on something. It was either a pain pill or muscle relaxer. Anyway I pulled about half of it out of his mouth. I was really upset. He was fine, but I am still upset about it. I try to be so careful with that stuff.
    Also the pain keeps getting worse. I have heard of flares, but this has been going on for weeks, and it just gets worse and worse. My right hip is so bad I feel like I need a cane. I live in a by-level house(2 small flights of stairs) and my thighs burn when i go up, and now sometimes even when i go down. I can't even hold my baby anymore.The Ultram is doing nothing. I thought Fibro was not supposed to be a progressive disease, but I feel mine is.
    I feel more and more useless to my family because now even the basic things are getting hard to do.
    I feel I have little hope. I do have an appt with my rhuemy tomorrow, and I really hope he can help me because this is no way to live a life.

Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

The pain and brain fog especially. Last night my 14 month old found one of my pills on the floor. I didn't realize it untill I saw him chewing on something. It was either a pain pill or muscle relaxer. Anyway I pulled about half of it out of his mouth. I was really upset. He was fine, but I am still upset about it. I try to be so careful with that stuff.
    Also the pain keeps getting worse. I have heard of flares, but this has been going on for weeks, and it just gets worse and worse. My right hip is so bad I feel like I need a cane. I live in a by-level house(2 small flights of stairs) and my thighs burn when i go up, and now sometimes even when i go down. I can't even hold my baby anymore.The Ultram is doing nothing. I thought Fibro was not supposed to be a progressive disease, but I feel mine is.
    I feel more and more useless to my family because now even the basic things are getting hard to do.
    I feel I have little hope. I do have an appt with my rhuemy tomorrow, and I really hope he can help me because this is no way to live a life.

Maria
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry you are feeling so badly, I sure hope the new doctor can be of help to you.

As for the children, they are so creative at getting at things that are dangerous to them.

If necessary, get one of those little strong boxes with the lock on it and keep your meds in it. That way you can keep the key out of his reach. I found that even putting harmful things out of reach does not help, they get to be great climbers too. At his age, they are like puppies, the will eat anything!

I know they say this illness is not progressive, but I disagree with this. I have gotten worst over the years, but you are young and so busy with young children you are probably not getting all the rest you need. I know, its impossible at times.

I keep my last one in a play pen a lot, that way I was not running and lifting her so much. It was a tremendous help.

These days, there is no way I can lift babies. It is very hard for you young mom's with this illness.

Hope this new doctor can help, you sure need some relief.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I know how you feel - I get horrible pain in my hips too. You might want to talk to your doctor about changing your medication. I used to take Ultram, but now I'm on Ultracet (part Ultram, part Tylenol). It does seem to help. I also take Magnesium every day and a muscle relaxer. When I'm in a very bad flare, I get a referral to a Physical Therapist. I found one who is fibro-friendly and she really knows how to deal with the pain. She also gave me stretching exercises to do at home. I hope any of this helps you and you feel better soon!

Annette2
  5. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Maria:
    The great thing about this website is that at least one or more of us, (or all) will have had the same things happen or feel the same way. I can relate with the dropping the pill/baby thing. I found that I have to write myself notes to put things up and do things repetitively to get used to doing it. I like the suggestion of a locked box, but you still have to remember to put them in there. So, just keep repeating and checking and use the post its. Hope that helps.
    Also, try not to be so hard on yourself. Those things happen to all of us, even people without fms!!!!!
    As far as being told fms is not a progressive disease: WRONG!!!!! My rheumatologist told me that I had a "malignant form of the fms which keeps getting worse and nothing helps it". So, they know that it does get worse for some of us. Please try alternative therapies, herbs, new medications, relaxation, anything to help, because something will help you - you just have to find the combination. I know you feel terrible about your changed life style - not being able to pick up the kids, etc. I did too. Please give yourself a break and realize that you are grieving over the loss of your old life, allow yourself to do so, and get help. Maybe some short term antidepressants will help you get over this flare up. Pleas e talk with your doctor, and of course, all of us here are here for you anytime.
    prayers and wishes with you. I've been there too
    northwoodssue
  6. sheri

sheri New Member

Although we are not in the same area, (does fibro need an area), my md said she had seen sooo many patients this fall with fibro flares. I have been in a long one, but I do not have all the responsibility of little ones to look after like you do. My heart goes out to everyone who feels bad, but particularly to you young moms who can't get the rest you need. I understand how the basic things become big things. You are not useless, you feel bad and you hurt.
    Please do not rake yourself over the coals. I am glad your little one is ok, so don't feel guilty, just thankful. Little children can find so much to get into, and of course, it all goes into the mouth! You said you had a little hope and that is good. Hang on! Things will get better for you, blessings, sheri

[ advertisement ]