It was sooo worth the wait!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

My little electric scooter was finally delivered on Thursday and I have been having a ball getting out and about. Have taken it several places already and what a feeling! :-D I finally have so much better quality of life, after missing out on so much for such a long time. Now I can go just about anyplace that my family and friends go and be able to enjoy the excursion without suffering such extreme pain and fatigue after I get home later. :)

(I am also no longer at the mercy of the only two stores I was able to shop at that have scooters for use by their customers -- I would have to be one of the first when they opened to be sure there would be a scooter available and that it even worked!)

Now, for those who are wondering, this is a personal mobility machine, a Pride Laser Sport Scooter, that is usually covered by insurance (not mine, however. :-( But, we got it financed.), and is classified by the IRS and FDA as medical equipment. It is so comfortable and very manueverable, so it takes me shopping, to my place of worship, visiting, and just tooling around without resulting in pain and exhaustion for me. The seat has a high back so my neck and shoulders and upper spine are well supported. The seat is also covered in plushy-soft fabric so I have nothing hard touching me anywhere while I am on it. Even the armrests are soft, with lots of padding.

I do exercise some 4 to 5 days a week, depending on how bad my pain is and how good my energy levels are. But, walking any distance was just impossible for me, without putting me into agonizing pain. I had no life outside of my house for several years, but for a long time I thought that these types of health aids were only for "disabled people -- not me". Finally, my doctors and husband pointed out to me that after reviewing just how little I was enjoying life, maybe one of these machines would not be so bad to use.

My only regret is that I waited for far too long before finally getting one of these little wonders. Nobody gets medals for how they cope with and endure the pain and fatigue of these DDs, so if using one of these scooters (or electric wheelchairs for those who prefer them) results in a far better quality of life, why not? I have never been so happy in the last 10 years (since the car accident that caused all this) as when I got this wonderful little machine. Now I mean it when I tell people, "Can we get together later?" :)

Gentle hugs to all.
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

My little electric scooter was finally delivered on Thursday and I have been having a ball getting out and about. Have taken it several places already and what a feeling! :-D I finally have so much better quality of life, after missing out on so much for such a long time. Now I can go just about anyplace that my family and friends go and be able to enjoy the excursion without suffering such extreme pain and fatigue after I get home later. :)

(I am also no longer at the mercy of the only two stores I was able to shop at that have scooters for use by their customers -- I would have to be one of the first when they opened to be sure there would be a scooter available and that it even worked!)

Now, for those who are wondering, this is a personal mobility machine, a Pride Laser Sport Scooter, that is usually covered by insurance (not mine, however. :-( But, we got it financed.), and is classified by the IRS and FDA as medical equipment. It is so comfortable and very manueverable, so it takes me shopping, to my place of worship, visiting, and just tooling around without resulting in pain and exhaustion for me. The seat has a high back so my neck and shoulders and upper spine are well supported. The seat is also covered in plushy-soft fabric so I have nothing hard touching me anywhere while I am on it. Even the armrests are soft, with lots of padding.

I do exercise some 4 to 5 days a week, depending on how bad my pain is and how good my energy levels are. But, walking any distance was just impossible for me, without putting me into agonizing pain. I had no life outside of my house for several years, but for a long time I thought that these types of health aids were only for "disabled people -- not me". Finally, my doctors and husband pointed out to me that after reviewing just how little I was enjoying life, maybe one of these machines would not be so bad to use.

My only regret is that I waited for far too long before finally getting one of these little wonders. Nobody gets medals for how they cope with and endure the pain and fatigue of these DDs, so if using one of these scooters (or electric wheelchairs for those who prefer them) results in a far better quality of life, why not? I have never been so happy in the last 10 years (since the car accident that caused all this) as when I got this wonderful little machine. Now I mean it when I tell people, "Can we get together later?" :)

Gentle hugs to all.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What an uplifting post! I am so happy for you.

You have really broadened your horizions with you new scooter. Good for you.

Just watch those traffic jams!

I am sure you will encourage others to do what it takes to make their lives more livable and enjoyable, and to get out more.

Thank you for the post Seagull, it will do a great deal of good.

You have a wonderful day.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

So very happy you're actively mobile!! Lots of my patients have these and they drive all over the place and beep their little horns and everything! I think they need those "back-up" horns, too; my toes have been run over from following too closely!
    Happy for ya!
    Kady
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I'm so happy for you,,,enjoy your new freedom! Thanks for sharing what works for you, it may very well encourage others to do the same.

Best wishes...drive carefully (sorry, couldn't resist, lol) Michele
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

Ever since I rented one while attending a convention last month I can't wait for mine to arrive and the lift to be installed in my van. I know my dog will enjoy being able to go for long walks again. I will also enjoy being able to shop wherever I want.

Some of the places that have scooters have such lousy ones it's almost not worth it to use them. The one I'm getting is so quiet and I ordered an upgrade seat which has a higher back and more padding.

I'm glad you are enjoying yours. I'll be sure to announce when mine comes in!

Barbara