Itching and rashes-do you have this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Oct 31, 2005.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Off and on for years I have had rashes and/or itching mainly on my back. If I itch too much, it bleeds. Now I have developed a rash on my upper thighs, arms, area near my underarms, and back.

I got out one of my FMS books this morning. I know that skin irritation can be part of FMS. The book suggested getting Benedryl cream or putting ice packs on the affected areas. I did put ice packs on the worst areas when I went to bed last night and that did help the itching some.

What have you done about this problem? I have thought about going to a dermatologist, but thought I would try some home rememdies first. Of course there is a possibility that this rash isn't from FMS. I have also found that when I take a shower or get into warm water (like the pool at the physical therapist), it brings on more itching.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ellen
  2. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i know how you feel, i itch and have rash alot also. right now i am dealing with this awful scalp problem. it is like ezema on my scalp. then have rash under arms and else where. i take benedryl pills to help control the itch helps some. warm shower makes it worse, accutally hurts my scalp. not sure what to do, i use hydrocortisone,(spelling srong) cream. or any anti itch cream with no luck so far, if i find something that helps i will post it for all to learn hope you find releaf soon.
    becca
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

i get hives as part of a flare up. i went to the dermatologist and got a prescription cream for it.
  4. deedeej

deedeej New Member

I am going through a stage now where my neck and head are covered in a rash. IL look like I am crazy scratching as it is mostly my back of my head.
    Been under a lot of stress lately and it is realy bad.
    Have nothing to help it as the pills worked for the arms but not the head???
    Going to a naturpath in a couple weeks???
    Heres hoping
    Deedee
  5. Toga

Toga Member

It started a few years ago before my dx of FM. I tried everything. Went to a derm and was prescribed three different creams at three different times. They all made it worse.

I finally agreed to skin tests. I am allergic to many many things including a lot of hair products I was using, cleaning supplies, jewelry, coins, keys etc.

She gave me a list of all the chemicals (there were 38 of them) and a different creams I'm not allergic to.

I found that I must stay away from anything (soaps lotions) that have fragrance. I use Aveda Hair Products. I found a dish soap I can use (Dawn Plus Hand Care.)

I used gloves if I have to put my hands in cleaners and I use only Softsoap Soothing with Aloe Vera as hand soap. I carry a little bottle in my purse to use in public restrooms. NEVER use any antibiotic hand soap. Its the worst.

I wear minimal jewelry when I leave the house and its the first thing I take off when I walk in the door.

All this was kind of hard for me because I love fragrant bath products and lotions and like any woman, I like jewelry too.

When I had the tests done they rate each chemical from 1 to 4 and the jewelry was a 1 or a 2 so thats why I can wear it a little while.

I have found that colder weather makes it worse for me. I also found that I must use fragrance-free lotion every time I bathe all over. I cannot let my skin get dry.

I was told that if I want to try something new or I'm suspicious of a product to take a tiny amount and put it close to my inner elbow and cover it for 48 hours with waterproof tape and if I get red or itchy, don't use it.

So if you suspect some things you could try that. The lady with the itchy head might try this with some of the hair products she uses.

I was allergic to my shampoo, conditioner, gel and hair spray. And when we are stying our hair, we get those things on our hands.

I found Fragrance Free Dove Bar Soap is best for me. I also use Dove Fragrance Free Body Shampoo. I go through jugs of Vaseline Fragrance Free Lotion.

I react to Clorine in pools if I don't shower immediately after with my boring soap and use my boring lotion.

I hope this information helps some. I was depressed and had to make lots of changes of products. I gave lots of things away to my daughter and granddaughters but now I'm doing better and only have the itches once in a while.

I just wish I could solve some of the other problems that go along with FM ;>)

Toga
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I am sensitive to some things with fragrance. I can't use colored and scented toilet paper. For soap I use Ivory-Dove soap makes me itch. I can't think of any new product I've used lately, except I do wonder about the pool at the physical therapist. I used to swim years ago and never had any trouble, but I know our bodies can change and we can develop allergies. I hope it's not the pool. I do rinse off myself and my suit afterward, but maybe I need to do more than that-the one lady uses soap afterward?

I don't use make-up and have used the same soap and shampoo for years. That was interesting about putting a product on the inside of your elbow and putting waterproof tape to test it.

I have a feeling I will be making an appt. with the dermatologist. This may or may not be FMS related. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ellen
  7. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

For the last year I have been coming out in itchy red lumps on my neck, scalp and face. It is driving me insane.

I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. I am going off Elavil as I could be allergic to it as the side effects are rashes, hives, swelling of the mouth which I have had twice this last week.

I went to doc. to-day and got an antihistamine and hopefully it should help. I am allergic to Chlorine and unfortunately since I moved here to live the water contains a lot of Chlorine. I also get a rash when I have a shower. I have tried using vasaline on my face and neck as it makes the skin waterproof. It worked fine if I can keep the water off my face which is hard under the shower.

I also had to give up swimming as even the smallest amount of Chlorine seems to affect me.

I only use olive oil soap and Lavender Oil Shampoo which does not contain any Sodium Laural Sulphate or Propyl Glycol as these are the worst irittants for anyone with sensitive skin and allergies. I also discovered recently that these are in all cosmetics, sun lotion, and they can get into your bloodstream when applied. They are also in all ordinary perfumed shampoos. It took me a long time to discover this.

What we have to go through.

Mary
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Thanks for responding. I really feel for you having such severe allergies. I hope I am not allergic to the chlorine in the pool as I have made arrangements to use it during the winter three afternoons a week. Thought it would be really beneficial for the FMS and good exercise, too.

I got some Benedryl yesterday and so far that is helping with the itching. I am going to be in the pool this afternoon so I will see if the itching gets really bad again.

Thanks again.

Ellen
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I haven't been able to use anything but all natural products in our home & on our bodies. All that comes from the health food store.

I can't tolerate even the smell of chlorine, so we eventually did a whole house filter which is pricey, but there are also products that you can put on your bath & shower to take out the chlorine.

But I still get rashes, and I just put aloe ver gel on them. If I get to the scratching stage, I'll bandage the area.

Think it's a detoxing process from all the chemicals our body's holding, and the skin is the largest elimination exit.

LIGHT************carole
  10. Tiels

Tiels New Member

Visteril an antihistimine
    helps me more than anything!