Itching for a month

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by code34me, Apr 6, 2006.

1. code34me

code34me New Member

I know I have seen post about being ithcy before but have not paid much attention to them. Now I am so itchy I cant stand it and wish I had paid attention to those post!

I get little bumps like I have been bitten by something and those spots itch. But I also itch where there are no bumps. My head itches too!

I use Aveno body wash and now useing Aveno body oil after shower. Then I put on Citraphil lotion. I feel okay after that for a bit. It is very bad in the morning after I wake up?

Just have been contiplating if I should post and ask if anyone has any imput on this for a while now. So here I am asking and wondering what the heck is going on! LOL

Take care of you! Codey
  2. starmom

starmom New Member

Have you tried it? It may be some kind of allergic reaction. It could be eczema, in which case a steroid cream or Elidel will help. Be sure you do not eat the elidel. In studies with rats, when they were forcefed Elidel in huge amounts they developed cancer. Our pediatrician feels it is safe to use as long as it is not somewhere the kdis will lick (like lips).

Liver problems will also cause itching. Have your liver enzymes tested. If possible graph whatever liver enzyme tests you can find over the last 4-5 years. You may have to search for them. You may not have them. My mom did this and her doc found that the trend in how the enzymes were changing meant she has Primary biliary Cirrhosis. It is an autoimmune liver disease. Her levels were normal in EVERY test she had done, but the way they were changing gave more info than an individual test itself.

Itching was a MAJOR symptom for her. I itch from pain meds. Benadryl and drinking lots of water helps.

I hope you feel better soon!

Susie
  3. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

the same problem except I do not get the lumps just itch all over and boy it drives me crazy.I went to my doctor about it and he said it may be something to do with the meds I am on, he is not really sure. he has given me medication to take. I have not been on it long but I think it has helped a little.

Also type in itchy in the search box and you can read lots of posts on it.
    Hope this helps.

Take care
    Tammy
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

Thank you all for your reply. I did take a Benadryl today for the first time and it did give me some relief. I am seeing my doc next week and if I can stand it that long I will ask her about the Liver and Thyroid info that you brought up. It is not normal itchy skin and is driving me crazy! It is hard to get to sleep at night (more so than normal LOL) because I cant stop itching!

As I sit here and scratch my head (LOL) I am amazed at how long we can take some of our symtoms! Most normal people would have been to docs already but us we cant go everytime something is bothering us huh? At least I dont because it is far for me and I have to take my 3 year old everywhere I go and he does not like to go anywhere except Wal-Mart!

Take care of you! Codey

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  5. dmhosea

dmhosea New Member

I had the hives for a year and a half several years back and an allergic reaction post C-section to a piece of hospital equipment. The reaction cause pinpoint blisters and incredible itching.

Look for Sarna lotion. It's $11-12/bottle. It relieves itching and gives a nice cooling sensation. Sometimes at different places you have to ask for it because they keep it behind the counter. I like it better than Aveeno since that quit working after a while.

dmhosea RN
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

that a lot of folks get that have FMS, I am taking Visrtil.
    It works great for me, made me sleepy at first, but then the body adjusted to it and it sure keeps, the problems to a minmun.
    No itching, but I still have a constant drippy nose , due to Mastoiditis and Sinusitis, but would be even worse, if I weren't on the Vistril,

I am allergic to the Benedryl, it sent me to the Hospital, back in 84, I think, it was. Anyway, Vistril works for my Histamine problems,

Hope you find something that will help you too.
    sharonk
  7. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Codey!

Sorry that you are itching away like crazy but glad to hear you'll be seeing a doctor soon.

Every time I have surgery, the result is a 3 month "itch-fest" after the operation. Since my latest surgery was just in Feb., I'm still dealing with hives, itching, and welts.

The allergist prescribed Zyrtec and hydroxyzine (syrup)which is helping to keep my itching down to a manageable level.

Sure hope you find something that works for you!

Janice
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Are you taking narcotics for pain control with codeine in it?

Codeine makes me itch all over like crazy. I can no longer take it. I had to switch to a "codone" with a slightly different chemical structure - hydrocodone (Vicodin), which doesn't make me itch.

After my c-section and a dose of codeine (Tylenol 3) I was itchy for days. They switched me to hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and that controlled the pain without the itch also.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I itch all the time too...Mine is a food reaction..ANd I have been doing a lot of diet changes...Once you take away things you can see what is causing the problem..

I have it narrowed down to MSG...or if I eat alot of yeast feeding foods...sugar, bread...stuff like that..

So if if my husband makes soup..he likes alot of boullion...an hour later I am itching and I itch for days...and if I get to much then I get hives...It is terrible..

Do you have a yeast problem??? That too can cause it..If you do it is the yeast coming out in your shin..Plus the bumps are a sign of that..

I would try cutting back on your sugar...breads...cheese for about a week..See what happens..

Before I changed my diet..I was taking a claritin everyday and that helped some..Not has drowsy as benydrel..

Hope it gets better...
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Oh yes,have had the itching for sometime now.Myhead and face a lot,but all over too!
    Have it during the day,but nitetime the worst!!

Take Care
    Jordane
  11. kgangel

kgangel New Member

I am one of the weird ones I guess, but I itch at night when I try to lay in bed or relax on the couch, can not figure out the reason for the life of me.

Crazy I guess, but yes I do itch and it drives me crazy,

kgangel
  12. Malteaser1955

Malteaser1955 New Member

Sorry you're struggling with itchiness, you must get the doctor to understand the symptoms very precisely.
    My itching was a symptom of PBC (primary biliary cirrhosis), always worse in the morning, and in the shower I would scrub with the mesh scrubs or scratchy gloves that helped reduce the itching for the day. I suffered it for many years without going to the doctor. Only after diagnosis did I realise it may have been diagnosable sooner had I gone to the doctor.
    Sincerely hope you have no such thing like this wrong with you, but you need to get proper check up, it could be minor and you could have had help that would clear it up altogether.
    Best wishes
    Rita x
  13. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I have temporary relief with Sarna lotion. It doesn't take care of the hives/eczema whatever it may be, but it does help. I am starting a homeopathic remedy today to see if it helps. I've been to a dermatologist and my primary doctor. No one can tell me what my little itchy red bumps are. If my homeopath can't help i will try an allergist, i guess. After reading these posts, maybe i will have my liver enzymes tested.
    take care
  14. code34me

code34me New Member

It is so helpful when you see that you are not alone in the itch fest!!!

I am jotting all of this info down and realy appriciate all of your responses it really helps!!!!

Take care of you! Codey

P.S. I always say take care of you at the end of my post because I believe no one can do that better than you! :)