Itching under my skin!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NJPike, Jul 15, 2003.

1. NJPike

NJPike New Member

I developed CFS 8 months ago, relapsing again at the end of March. In recent weeks, it feels as if my body has read one of those 'symptoms of CFS' lists and is working its way through them one by one! Last night, I started to get a feeling as if my skin is itching on the inside - right now, my left arm from the elbow down is driving me nuts!!! I'm on minimal medication right now - anti histamines, essential fatty acid supplements and my usual asthma inhalers - and nothing that I haven't been taking for some time.

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone know what I can do to stop it?

BTW, I'm new to this site and have found it so useful, so hello and thanks!
  2. klarry

klarry New Member

I have FM, and have the very same problem. The difference is that my itching occurs mainly at night. It is usually my hands and arms that itch like crazy. I have started being very careful about the soap I use, as well as all topical lotions.
    Hope you can get a handle on this. If you resist the temptation to scratch, it will often settle down. You could also try Aveeno lotion, which has anti-itch properties. Good luck!
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

usually indicates an internal allergy... at least for me. For instance most anti-histamines do this to me. Sudafed is the biggest culprit, I itch and it feels as though "things' are crawling around just under my scalp.

I switched to Allegra and it works like a charm. The same mechanism that causes the immune system to block the allergy symptoms doesn't differentiate between allergies and colds so you can become more susceptible to colds. I never found this to happen though. Perhaps in the cold season this is more of a concern.

Peace

Hinemoa
  4. twin2

twin2 New Member

I had the same thing! Mine would come on in the evening in my calves. I would start to scratch and the itch would spread up my legs to the rest of my body. I'd be sitting on the couch, frantically scratching everywhere! It drove me CRAZY!

I don't know what caused it. I had no new soaps, meds, etc.

I don't know what to do about it. Sorry. :( It just went away after a few months.

Good luck finding something that helps. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cindy
  5. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Drives you crazy, doesn't it. I read a post, somewhere on this board, that itching is actually a mild type of pain. I haven't read anything else to back that up, but it sure makes sense. I get especially itchy on my hands, and I have carpal tunnel. Makes ya wonder. BTW, welcome to the board. There is tons of info here.
  6. Carina

Carina New Member

In my experience with this problem,I find that it often is signaling that I have a trigger-point there that needs to be guided to the nearest large bone and pressed gently to release it. Then the itching stops.

Carina
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I itch every single evening & I don't know why. I take 50 mg. of benedryl (generic) every night. It gets rid of the itch. But, it does return every night. dolsgirl