Itching what stops it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi all,
    Ive sent 2 posts already but didnt finish them,sorry ill finish this one.
    I have Fms,cfs,ibs & asthma & i itch like crazy,its really starting to bug me.
    Any suggestions of how to soothe my skin as dont want to go to my doc unless ive tried other stuff first.
    Heres hoping.
    Very gentle hugs
    sharon d (UK)
  2. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi all,
    Ive sent 2 posts already but didnt finish them,sorry ill finish this one.
    I have Fms,cfs,ibs & asthma & i itch like crazy,its really starting to bug me.
    Any suggestions of how to soothe my skin as dont want to go to my doc unless ive tried other stuff first.
    Heres hoping.
    Very gentle hugs
    sharon d (UK)
  3. Sky

Sky New Member

Childrens Benedryll?

You didn't post what you have tried already. Whether it be internal medicine or topical products.

I just know that when I got urticaria, that was one the the things that helped me.

Just a suggestion, I am sure you will get tons more.

Hugs,
    Sky
  4. AnnG

AnnG New Member

Thats about all I know that works pill-wise. There is a allergy pill called Zyrtec that is amazing. I take it at night when I have an itching problem and within a few days it is gone. Good Luck to you!

Ann
  5. gracieathome

gracieathome New Member

I used to get hives so bad Benedryl didnt work. I had to take benadryl AND zyrtec. Worked like a charm.
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I usually take Benadryl and then use the Benadryl cream, it it's located in just one particular area. I also take 180mg of Allegra every day. I break out in hives for no apparent reason. Yesterday morning I woke up and my arm was itching so bad, I looked and I had a huge welt about 8 inches long, I have no idea what causes this but I do know it can drive you nuts. How about a bath with baking soda, I think that is suppose to help some people. Trouble is I have found that the warm water makes the itching worse.

Dara
  7. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Hi Sharon, Itching! This is something I have been wondering about for 10-15 years. It began a small blisters and red itchy fingers when I would wear gloves to work in the garden ect. Then around the waist where the waist of the pants would fit. Then on my back on my spine..a kind of a purplish reddish itch there. Finally it has gotten so bad that it is on my breats, under my breasts, in the groin, in the crease of my bottom and onto the buttocks, under arms, stomach and now my scalp. The dermatologist took a biopsy which showed deep inflammation. He wants to do another biopsy but I'm waiting for a spot when he can get it from. It almost has to be on the back where there is more soft tissue and where I don't have to sit.
    Anyway, I have read about utericaria (sorry -spelling is wrong) and it sounds like that but he says no. No yeast, no exema, no dermatitis. He is not giving up on me because he said he had never seen anything like this. But, when it becomes unbearable, I have to take a Benadryl and that knocks me out. Other wise I use the benadryl lotion. What I have found is if I wash the area with dial bar soap, let it sit on the area a bit, rinse very well and it does help to dry up the lesions. I also use an anti fungal cream on most places but the dermatologist said that is no cure...it only softens the skin? Anyway, do you have sores and rashes? Sometimes I think the itching is more miserable than the pain. How about with you? Do you want a hug or a scratch? lol.
    Thanks!
    Kalli
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had the problem for many years of dry, itchy skin. Finally I decided to change the soap I used. I used to use Lever2000. So I went to a really nice "perfume store" and bought some Almond soap from Portugal. My skin stopped itching. I think a lot of commercial soaps dry your skin out and make it itch. Especially in the winter when the air is drier. The Almond soap is a little more expensive, but it's worth it! I also use skin moisurizers - one is Lubriderm (no scent) for normal to dry skin. The other is called Ahava - it coems from the Dead Sea in Israel and is enriched with Natural Mineral Dead Sea Mud. Both work very well on itchy skin. I hope you find relief soon!!!!

Annette2
  9. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

hi! I get really bad dry skin the the winter and I get nerve rashes through the year. I know this might sound silly, but I tried it and it works for me. Do you have a Aloe plant? These were good for burns for the ol' timers. They are great for itches too..
    I hope that helps some..

Regards,

Misty
  10. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Its a bioflavanoid so it not only stops itching, but it provides many benefits to our bodies. Its usually combined with bromelain, which is an anti-inflammatory. You might have to play with the dose to get it where you need it. I used to have to take 500 mgs 3 times a day; now I can take much less and still don't itch. BTW I had horrible itching and burning/peeling eyelids...I have been out of Quercitin for about a month now and I have not had any itching return. When I used to use Benadryl, the moment I stopped, the itching returned. So, quercitin not only stopped the itching, but it has made the itching less and less, over time. I ordered more, and it should arrive this week; I'm not going to wait for the itching to retun to start taking it again.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

28-year history of angioedema,urticaria and hives. I have taken many meds over the years for this since it becomes life-threatening for me. Prednisone was my life-saver, but it caused irreparable damage in some ways, too. Allegra and Zyrtec don't help me and Benadryl makes me a little crazy after taking it for so many years. So, I take *cool* Aveeno baths when I'm in a flare...no hot water. I cannot use oils or heavy lotions during these episodes as they tend to "hold in " my body heat making the itching worse. Alcohol applied topically cools down the heat. Very little clothing is worn and nothing with a tight waistband; no tight straps or undies. Bed linens must be light and airy and the thermostat has to be turned down. Heat is not our friend when it comes to urticaria. My itching begins at sundown and it never starts during the morning or early afternoon. I wear thin cotton gloves at night, so if I scratch while sleeping, it won't cause as much bruising , pain and scratches. It is associated with *my* FMS flares and my skin is very sensitive and tender. Do not mistake this for dry, winter skin. This is NOT the case for me. My skin isn't that dry. I take Atarax (Vistaril) at night and I have to use Epinephrine injections when it gets bad and starts to swell my eyes and mouth and throat. I carry it with me always. This is the reason I applied for SSD 11 years ago...no other reason, just: chronic angioedema, urticaria and hives associated with joint, muscle, soft-tissue pain, low-grade fevers, chest wall pain and fatigue....Anybody recognize these symptoms????....I had NO clue what FMS was at the time, nor had it been diagnosed. The Duke docs only knew it was a unspecified autoimmune, connective tissue, collagen vascular disease. Of course, I was denied.....AND I was recently divorced and had children at home to finish raising.....sound familiar to you guys???????? We are all so alike....I've just been through it so long. Anyway, I did not appeal and couldn't get a lawyer and I *HAD* to have some income, so I took a piddly-a** job as a sitter for the elderly at minimum wage, part-time. I could NOT work as a nurse; it was just impossible due to *flare* ...I now know what it's called! LOL
    You know what I read on the denial from back then???? I got it out of the file last night to compare notes and saw that they said, "You may be unable to work as a nurse for the next twelve months in the way you are accustomed to performing your tasks, but we feel you are able to work as most nurses work." Can you believe that? They were saying that I tried to be super-nurse and I worked harder than I had to and that I could continue working if I would stop that and work like normal nurses do........Bull-malarky!!!!
    I'll give them a fight this time, because I have the STD and LTD to use while I'm doing it and I *will* have an attorney to help me this time. I am 11 years older and I have more diagnoses now that are verified by MRI and I just had better not get this p.o.'d when I talk to the judge, had I????????????? OK, I'll calm down, but this is criminal and I just feel so sorry for all of us who live from paycheck to paycheck and would prefer to eat every day. I am 47 and have been sick since I was 17; give me a break, Lord!!!
    Good grief, did I go on a tangent........it's no wonder I break out in hives. Can you tell I stayed up all night without going to bed????? Getting a little manic here, so I'm closing this.........
    Love,
    Kady
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. St. Amand says that there are cells just below the skin surface which release histamine when broken. Seems we are more prone to having these cells break than "normal" people.

Children's Benadryl is good because it allows one to control the dosage during the day when we don't want to be sleepy.

Love, Mikie
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Sky,
    Hope youre noin too much pain today,thanks for your reply its great to hear from you.
    I havent tried anything because i awasnt sure what to try.
    Im getting some non perfumed moisturiser that should help as should the childrens Benedryll,can you get it on prescription or do you buy over the counter please?
    Thanks so much Sky.
    Very gentle hugs sharon d
  14. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Dara,
    Hope you arent suffering too much thanks for your reply its so good to hear from you.
    My asthma was really bad a few months back when i had 5 cats at home,i was fostering 5 now just have the 1.
    Went to the docs & he gave me anti allergy pills,fibrofogs struck & i cant remember the name.
    They worked a treat & doc said i cant take them forever.
    Ill go back & see what he says.
    Thanks for the support very gentle hugs sharon d
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Ann,
    Hope youre having a better day thanks for your reply its so good to hear from you.
    I got pirotin anti allergy pills & they were great worked straight away.
    I had 5 cats at the time(i fostered them) now i only have 1 & my asthma is lot better still sneezing though but have had a cough & cold for months now so that explains sneezing.
    Im goinback to docs to see what he can give me,thanks again.
    Very gentle hugs sharon d

[ advertisement ]