Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by star273, Jan 14, 2009.

1. star273

star273 New Member

Does anyone itch alot? My head is always itchy and the rest of my body too.... Wondered if it had anything to do with Fibro....
  2. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

I have noticed that I get the itching from the pain meds at times. If you are taking them, that might be the cause for the itching. I know that when it happens to me my nose itches like crazy!
  3. Brownie08

Brownie08 New Member

I had severe itching in September...came at night mostly. I was taking pain meds - but did not put is together until recently - a bout a month ago a took another pain med for two days - and the itching came back...I was freaked that I had something more serious...stopped the pain meds and it went that point it dawned on me what was causing it...

Good to hear that I am not alone!
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Itching is very common in untreated hypothyroidism. Particularly autoimmune thyroid problems. Untreated hypothyroidism also contributes to fibro pain for many women.

Most women with fibro are not adequately tested and/or treated for thyroid issues. This is not to say that all of us with fibro have underlying hormonal problems, but there are many of us who have improved greatly with proper treatment.

The standard medical test for thyroid function (TSH) is a bust for many of us with fibro. Why? Because it's an indirect test of thyroid function -- TSH is actually a measure of a pituitary hormone. And in many of us, there is a degree of pituitary dysfunction.

So, the best tests to get are: Free T3 and Free T4. These are direct measures of the actual, available thyroid hormone in your blood. To test for autoimmune thyroid problems, you need 3 different tests for thyroid antibodies.

If you have had thyroid testing done by your doc, it pays to look over your lab report copies. Never take a nurse or MD word that everything is OK. You want to see for yourself where you are on the "normal" reference range. Are you near the top, or nearer to the bottom? It can make a big difference.

You also want to learn as much as you can about the reference ranges your doc & lab use. The majority of labs throughout the country still do not follow the 2003 recommendations of the American College of Endocrinology. Consequently, many folks are tolds things are OK, by reference to an outdated reference range.

Many docs will balk when asked to do the thyroid tests I've mentioned. If so, you have a choice -- find a doc who will work with you, or self-order your own thyroid panel.

Best wishes.
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

I have had this problem for several months. It is driving me batty. My thyroid is fine. I have had all the tests. I have tried about every antihistamine, atarax, etc. I am now starting Xyzal. Supposedly, this new antihistamine is much better treating uticaria and chronic itching. I hope you can get some relief.

I have used creams, lotions, soaks. you name it.

Good luck and God Bless
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I found that my itchiness was caused by food sensitivities. When I avoid my sensitive foods I have a dramatic decrease in itching. Sugar cane and corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup are big ones for me.
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I go through periods of itching too. For me it seems to be cyclical, along with my period. I am more likely to be itching a few days before I ovulate and then about a week before my period. However, when it first started I didn't know what it was so I did a lot of research and found there may be many possible causes.
    It could be due to Liver or kidney problems.
    Could be due to Diabietes.
    Allergic reaction to almost anything including detergent, foods, medication, animals, etc.
    But the most interesting thing I found was there are many people who report being itchy when using shampoo which is a shampoo and conditioner in one. It isn't just one brand it is all of them. I guess there is an ingredient in the conditioners they use that many people are sensitive too. I definitely found that I can't use them and it did have an impact on my itching. I even itch when i use it on my kids and it gets on my skin.

Just talking about itching is making my itchy LOL

Do a google search about causes of itching and there are many possible causes.

8. loto

loto Member

Hi, I've known officially that I have FM since May of 08. I experience itching also, but it's not constant. Mostly in the evening, though I don't know why. Anyway, would the itching that occurs with hypothyroidism be something that's constant, or just comes and goes? I have read a little about hypothyroidism, and wanted to ask my doctor about it at my last visit the other day, but was too afraid to. I've been seeing him several times for the past few months for my stupid stomach/digestive problems, which he doesn't seem to want to relate to FM, and I didn't want to ask about anything else. I know I'm going to have to overcome that, and be aggressive with all my health questions to him. Anyway, I'm glad you posted this topic about reading the results yourself. Too many times I think people just take their doctors' word for stuff, and then forget about it all. I'm going to go dig my last bloodwork report up and check it out, so I may be back to you for questions about the TSH stuff, and T3 and T4.
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi, I've started a new thread about thyroid & itchiness -- my experiences, anyway, in answer to your question. See you there.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I itch like crazy - so much that I make my skin bleed. My skin is very dry although I lotion up like crazy every single morning. I have one area on my side that drives me crazy - it itches terribly, I could just dig at it!

Regarding thyroid for you pros out there! My TSH came back at 1.0, I'm not sure what my T4 was, but doc prescribed something to put it back in the 50 percentile cause it was 'low'? I want to make sure that nothing get screwed up with my thyroid. I'm so afriad I'm going to gain more weight on this med. I am not overweight by any means, but I literally cannot drop the 10 lbs I gained in 6 months(!)...can't drop one!- for some reason I'm afraid that because my TSH was so good that I'm going to gain. Thoughts from the thyroid experts here?

I do have almost all of the symptoms of hypothyroid. The doc who prescribed has written/published article about thyroid - so I think he knows what he's doing, but I'm still nervous about it.
  11. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

As others have pointed out, there can be many causes of itching.

Some people are simply very prone to dry skin, and of course, there is considerable individual variation in "what works" lotion-wise, for that very dry skin. For example, I have very sensitive skin, and, thyroid aside, even before my thyroid probs, I knew that there were some creams more helpful to me than other creams, for general dry skin. And some creams that made me itchier due to (an) ingredient(s) I was sensitive to. So, if you haven't tried a plain, unscented hypoallergenic cream yet, that is one relatively inexpensive route to go. Some folks actually find a food-grade oil or shortening like ... coconut oil, pure cocoa butter, salad oil, etc. works pretty well. Of course, it will be a little greasier than the commercial products.

Regarding your thyroid questions, please check the thread, "thyroid & itching." I've headed one post w/your name, w/my thoughts regarding what you've posted here.

Best wishes.
  12. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

it is driving me nuts i can't stop the itching. all over any one please help us.
  13. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

In looking at your "about me," it seems that you have a fairly complex health history, including diabetes.

Diabetes can also cause itching. Are you monitoring your blood sugars & diet pretty closely?

If you have not yet researched the link between diabetes & thyroid disorders, I encourage you to do so. It's not uncommon for the 2 diseases to occur together.

Many people have found that, when they have a low thyroid condition properly treated, many of their other health concerns become less burdensome & more easily treated. This is a good thing.

Low thyroid can also cause itching. Low thyroid is pretty common among fibro sufferers. Not all, but many with fibro.

Thyroid testing in people w/fibro can require special tests beyond the usual screenings docs offer. For more info, see the thread on Thyroid & Itching.

Best wishes.