Itching!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jpswife_4boys, Aug 24, 2002.

1. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I don't know what's wrose, the pain or the itching. I've had a pretty rough week. I'm either hurting somewhere, completely exhausted or itching! I'm going nuts scratching. It's a wonder I have skin left. I have a fine rash that comes and goes. It's mainly on my shoulders and upper arms but the itching is traveling all over my body. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for me. I've tried spraying some anti-itch medicine but so far it's not helping. So please if any of you have experienced this or know of something that might help PLEASE let me know!

On the upside of my week I finally got back to the gym! (Patting self on shoulders, lightly though I don't want to make them itch! lol) I have to humor myself or I would go crazy!

Thanks,
    Cris
  2. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I don't know what's wrose, the pain or the itching. I've had a pretty rough week. I'm either hurting somewhere, completely exhausted or itching! I'm going nuts scratching. It's a wonder I have skin left. I have a fine rash that comes and goes. It's mainly on my shoulders and upper arms but the itching is traveling all over my body. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for me. I've tried spraying some anti-itch medicine but so far it's not helping. So please if any of you have experienced this or know of something that might help PLEASE let me know!

On the upside of my week I finally got back to the gym! (Patting self on shoulders, lightly though I don't want to make them itch! lol) I have to humor myself or I would go crazy!

Thanks,
    Cris
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry that itching is getting you too. It seems to come and go with me also. But I don't have a rash, just itch for no reason.

Have you tried an oatmeal bath? I can't think of the name of the product right now, but its in all drugstores.

Also, I take a soak in Epson Salts and Peroxide (regular household peroxide), it helps the pain and stiffness and the darn itching too.

Heres what I do;

3 cups of Epson Salts
    3 bottles of peroxide

In a warm as you can take tub of water. Soak for TWENTY MINUTES ONLY. It will make you feel weak, the hot water, so be sure to go lay down for at least a half hour afterwards. Its no cure, but it sure helps the pain and that itching.

Hope you feel better soon, and glad to hear you got back to the gym! Good for you lady.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Cris,

Sounds miserable! The product Shirl referred to is 'Aveeno'. You can achieve a similar effect by blending slow cooking oatmeal(without cooking it) with baking soda. For each cup of oatmeal, add 1 tablespoon baking soda, blend to a fine powder in your blender, and viola! Dump in the bath and relax. You can also mix the powder with just enough water to make a paste and plaster it on the itchy areas.

Something to immediately soothe the itch, ONLY if skin is not broken, is the gel from an aloe vera leaf. Its cool and really works. However, DO NOT use if skin is broken as this may 'seal' any bacteria into the wounds. Not good.

Another thing to watch for is that you don't allow your skin to become too dry, as this can also lead to itchiness. Use something with no scent or other chemicals in it.

Do you know what is causing the rash: exposure to sunlight, food allergies, laundry detergent, etc? Hope some of this helps.

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Quercitin is a natural antihistamine, and won't make you sleepy like Benadryl, plus its a bioflavoid, which has many health benefits. Bromelain in a natural anti-inflammatory. When taken together these products can have remarkable effects. (You probably need around 500mgs. Quercitin, 2-3 times a day.) I used to have awful hives, but not anymore. Yet, I have continued using Quercitin and other bioflavanoids.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked lately? There can be a relationship between an irregular thyroid and skin irritations. Its important to make sure your dr. tests more than just the TSH...you can learn more about the different thyroid tests from Mary Shomon's thyroid site at about.com.

Another test to get is absolute eosinophils (its part of a CBC)...usually this will be elevated when there is an allergic reaction going on. Quercitin, and a regulated thyroid, can bring the value down.

Good luck,
    Annette
  6. jackiec

jackiec New Member

So sorry that you also have the itchies!!! I know how misterable this can be. Have you tried an allergy med---Benadryl might help some. You've been given some great tips here, so I hope one of them helps for the moment at least.

When mine gets really awful, I take Atarax for it (by prescription)---but it makes me very sleepy.

The worst thing a doctor told me about this once was "Well, just don't scratch it!". .. .. .. not an easy thing to do.

Feeling your misery, J.C.
  7. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Hi there!
    This happens to me from time to time. The last time was on Wed. during the night. When I got dressed in the morning, I deep scratch marks from scratching during the night. Topical creams didn't help.

What works for me is a chiropractic adjustment....My muscle spasms pull things out of alignment and then things get pinched. It almost feels like my sensory system is on high alert and itching and twitching. My chiro is VERY gentle and able to settle this down for me.
    Heidi
  8. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have the same itchy problem, I have the combo of FMS/MPS and that means that I have "An unusual amount of the Neurotransmitter histamine," so I now take Vistril for it, (
    I use to get weird red rashes that would come and go, now I don't, but I sometimes get other weird skin conditions.
    I have to see a Dermotologist next week for thoes, they don't itch tho.)

My Rhuemotologist put me on Vistrili 2 years ago, and I seldom itch, except for now and then on the bottom of my foot in the arch area, on the left foot only. I use a rough washcloth to rubover the spot for a few minutes and this helps. It also helps to prevent breaking the skin with my fingernails.

I have a book by Dr. Dev Starlanyl, and that's were I was quoting from. Her books called "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome, A Survival Manual". I have learned so much about myself and these dd's from that book and also from reading this site.

So check out the Histamine problem with your Rheumologist, one thing tho, the vistril made me sleepy for 2 weeks, then I got past that point. I take 2 a day. my Dr. said 3, but I found that 2 worked good for me, and she agree's.

Good luck, and I hope you find some relief. Soon.

Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2002]
  9. tammy

tammy Guest

I found the Celexa makes me itch. Actually it doesn't seem as bad now as it did at first. I thought I would scatch my skin off my body. Also check - no new products or detergent? Sometime the slightess thing can trigger it.

Could it be heat? or just dry skin?