Itchy bug bites--any ideas??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Something thinks I'm it's walking restaurant. OMG I have bites all over me & the itch is horrible. I don't think it is fleas because my dog doesn't have them; possibly something at work is chewing on me though too.

Could also be heat related as with alot of places we have triple digit temps too.

I took 1/2 of an allergy pill--{zyrtec} earlier but it doesn't seem like it is helping.~~I have to be careful not to take too much of that--makes my eyes too dry. It normally helps to take the edge of the itching.

I can't get my prescription itch cream until tomorrow after 2pm

Any other ideas??

The Itchy Beadlady
  2. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Up here we have mosquitoes that you could saddle up and ride to town. See if there is a product in the camping supplies called "Sting Stick" or "Afterbite" in the pharmacy section. Both have amonia in them. If the bite is open, it's going to sting like he** for a minute, but then the itch goes away fast. Smells awful, but gets the job done quick!

Soft hugs,
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Starting 4 years ago in the summer I had terrible "bite /burns"....the only way I could describe it. Itching/burning on my arms were awful. My neighbor and her friend complained of the same thing as did my son. Sun and heat seemed to aggrivate it. Doctor couldn't help me. I tried a lot of products, including Gold Bond lotion for itching. At night I would put on....don't laugh......liquid milk of magnesia and it seemed to sooth the itching. When I could I would hold ice cubes to my arms. I now have permanent small burn areas on my arms where the red spots were but thankfully no itching this summer.

After researching this, I think it was something that had been released in the air after we had terrible forest fires.

I've also bought Skin So Soft from Avon which is touted to help with repelling bugs.

By the way, you don't live down in Florida where there are "no seeums"? I was bit up years ago, something least l00 bites on me and my husband didn't get one bite. I think it's something to do with how acid we are.[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2012]
  4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Try soaking some gauze pads in witch hazel and laying them on your arms or other itchy well for me. I live in the Hotlanta area and the mosquitoes and heat here are bad and since I've had CFS I seem to really overreact to bug bites....the itching can keep me up for hours at night. Hope this helps. None of the OTC creams help at all and I can't take oral meds like Benadryl.

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thanks for all your replies~~I still haven't made it to the pharmacy, but I did find some ant-itch cream at the dollar store and that seems to help. The box says: compares to Benadryl cream. And I have been breaking off a small piece of zyrtec to take 2-3 times a day too.

I should be able to get to the pharmacy tomorrow.
  6. Spacey

Spacey Member

I wouldn't want to alarm you, it just that you hear that theyr'e everywhere these days. To be safe check your mattress. Spacey