Itchy, flaky skin in ear canals … can anyone suggest anything?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilwren, Apr 4, 2003.

1. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I have psoriasis or eczema (I’m assuming) in my ear canals and it is driving me insane! I have had the problem for years and I can’t find anything to heal it. I have tried tee tree oil, garlic oil, beeswax, and am now using Heal All salve BUT nothing helps. I am forever giving myself ear infections by digging around in there trying to scratch the itch or remove flakes of skin – I know this is gross but I am desperate. Does anyone have any ideas? Or found anything that helps?

Thanks.

Love,
    Sharon
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

I have a script for Diprolene (0.05% glucorticoid). It relieves the itch completely and is safe applied to this area. Emu oil also helps - I've used this in between rx's.

2girls
  3. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I'm sorry you have itchy ears on top of everything else. It's always something with our darn bodies. Anyway, I will ask my doc for cortisone cream and may try the emu oil in the mean time if I can find it at the health food store. Thanks again for the suggestions. The itching is driving me mad! :)

love,
    sharon
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I have CFS, but I started having that symptom prior to CFS. I found out that I have an insulin resistance problem & once I was medicated (unfortunately I'm too hypersensitive right now to continue on the medication) this cleared up. My ear, nose and throat dr. told me that the dry skin inside the ears like that (and also dry, flaky skin on the face) are symptoms of a systemic problem like this . . . it is not from a skin condition. I would definitely get it checked out . . . of course all of us here are having "systemic problems" so this symptom is not surprising. The cortisone, oil, etc. might help the outward symptom, but it won't get rid of the problem if it is systemic . . . hope this helps! Love, Terri
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2003]
  5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I use Cortisporin ear drops (prescription). My mom had this problem years ago and I also started having itchy ears when I was a child. I've been using Cortisporin for over 30 years.

Hippo
  6. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Yes, I had this before I was dx with CFDS too. I am sure it is an autoimmune problem and not a skin problem. I’m doing everything humanly possible to deal with my health issues and heal myself from the inside out, but I just thought I might get some temporary relief. I just had my doctor (an ear nose & throat doc) look at my ears and she said she didn’t see anything. I tried to explain it to her and she just gave me a blank look. I've been to ear doctors regarding this problem for years and not one of them ever seems to understand what I am talking about - hence my post to you folks. I knew I would get better answers from you guys than from the medical quacks (no offense to Madwolf or any other 'humane' doctors on the board).

Thanks for posting.

Love,
    Sharon L
  7. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I am so glad I posted this because I am getting such GREAT input. Certainly between all of these suggestions I should hit on something that works.

It's so wonderful to have you guys. I'm going to print this out and head to the health food store tomorrow. :)

Thanks!

love,
    Sharon