ITCHY SCALP THAT IS NOT DANRUFF

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by FightinPain, Dec 31, 2005.

1. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

I need someone to help me on this subject. I CONSTANTLY am scratching my head, to the point I get little 'sores' and bleeding. My GP said to bump up my Prozac. Didn't help. I constantly 'pick' at my head to the point of bleeding. I have some type of prescription shampoo., but this is only a temporary 'fix'. The minute I find a 'spot' on my head, (which I call 'boulders')the picking 'cycle' continues. My hubby yells at me for keeping my hands in my head all the time, but I can't help it. It feels like little spiders are crawling all over my head as well as my body!
  2. cerise

cerise New Member

Isn't this aggravating? The doctors act like your nuts and it's no big deal, right?

They get to the point where they actually can hurt. I'm on Prozac too and that does nothing as far as the bumps.

I think it might be a form of allergic reaction, so you might want to monitor what you eat in relation to when you get these nasty bumps.

I just know they drive me crazy and they come and go.

I did the Rx shampoo thing, but that didn't really help.

What I do now is shampoo regularly with Head & Shoulders and use their creme rinse too, even though I don't have dandruff. It keeps me from scratching which might be from my scalp getting dry and itchy. Anyhow I use the shampoo and creme rinse as preventive measures and it seems to have helped.

Have you tried taking any kind of anti-inflamatory allergy meds you can get over the counter. Starts with a "B" and I can't remember the name.

Thanks for posting this because I really thought I was going insane with this too!

Who knows what else is connected to this DD we are burdened with!!!

Happy New Year and in the infamous words of the doctors, don't scratch -- right!

Linda
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

maybe you have dry scalp, not dandruff. sounds like you have the crawling sensation many of us have gone through.

I used to have it really bad. Have your thyroid checked and if they say it's normal, go onto the "thyroidabout.com" website and see if there's a good thyroid doctor near you that can really tell you if there's a problem.

Mine got a lot better after thyroid treatment and then taking vitamins and minerals.

I hope you feel better soon.
  4. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My son had a severe bumpy patch on his scalp for a while. He would scratch them until they bleed too. I took him to his pediatric and she sent him to a dermotologist. They took hair samples from his scalp (hurt him a little) but when the results came back he had Ringworm in his scalp.
    He took oral medicine for three solid weeks to get rid of it. He hasn't ever had that problem again. You can research ringworm and find pictures of the problem. It can cause severe loss of your hair.

I understand that this could also be a nervous condition as my niece picks at her had when she is overly excited.
    I'm not too great at giving advise but I try.
    Angela
  5. sdown

sdown New Member

Yes I can relate. I get an itchy head too. I take kelp everyday and 3 tbsps. of apple cider vinegar with water everyday. The caution my doc gave me on the kelp is not to take too much as it can throw off your thyroid. I take 3 - 275 mg tablets a day. The caution on the apple cider vinegar is to either drink it with a straw or brush your teeth after drinking it. This is so your enamel on your teeth doesnt get affected. I guess the vinegar is very abrasive to your teeth. So the doc said your fine drinking the apple cider vinegar and taking kelp. Also putting a half-cup of apple cider vinegar in your hair and rub it in with shampoo helps. Just watch you dont get any in your eyes because it will burn. I find with me anyways that if Im careful and dont eat too much sugar the itchiness isnt as bad. As soon as I have sweets the next day my scalp is itchy. I also take probiotics (acidophulus and bifidus) and I take wild fish oils and cod liver oil.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Search for some posts here about scalp and scalp problems.

I have scalp psoriosis and is drives you crazy!

I have a large patch of white crusty stuff on my scalp. If I scratch it, patches of my scalp with come off with it and leave sores, so I can't scratch.

I went to a dermatologist and she gave me a couple of prescriptions to use on it. I also shampoo with a coal tar shampoo and another one with something else in it--can't remember now (too sleepy--it's 2:30 am and I've got to go to bed).

If you read those old posts and need more info, let me know tomorrow.

I have been told by others on the board and by my doc that I will have to fight this scalp psoroisis for life. I've already been fighting it for over a year. Ugh!

Remember .... don't scratch!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

I too get the itchy scalp, my scalp gets to gross, i actually have a bald spot now from the picking, and pulling off chucks of skin. i use selson blue shampoo, or a tar shampoo. was told it is a form of dandruff. I ended up cutting my hair short, did myslef to embarassed to go to a beauty shop. being a ex hair dresser i talked my ten year old through the cut. scalp is clearing but when it flairs up it is painfull and itches like mad. hang in there i know what you are going through. hugs
    becca
  8. sdown

sdown New Member

Update - I just found out my husband has jock's itch which is also known as ringworm. It is contagious. So guess what I have it to. I think mine is called ringworm of the body. My entire body is itchy but the red bumps are only in my crotch area to date. So Im sharing a tube of prescription cream lamisil with my husband until I can get to the doctor's office. I guess ringworm is a type of fungus. Its yeast in other words. Update - I used Nizoral tonight for the ringworm of the scalp. Now its all over my body so Im taking lamisil tablets (anti-fungal medication) for 3 weeks. Doc said if Im better after 2 weeks to stop but if I still need it take for 3 weeks. Ive also got another refill after that if I need to continue to 4 weeks but I think thats in extreme cases. Its working as Im less itchy. Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll be done with this fungus. No fun to be itchy.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2006]
  9. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

Oh, my goodness! I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My husband fusses at me about it, too, but he doesn't understand. I've tried Nizoral but a large amount of my hair fell out, so I stopped it. None of the dandruff shampoos have helped. Tea tree oil's odor does in my eyes.
    I'm so glad you posted!
  10. patches25

patches25 New Member

Amazing so many of us have this problem. Maybe it should be included as one of the signs of this dd. I have had it so bad I was trying everything I could think of--even melted some of the shafts of my hair with continual alcohol swabbing. Ha.

Anyway it isn't quite as bad as it was for a while and I have no idea why since I am not doing anything except shampooing every few days and some scratching of course. Why it changed I have no idea.

Oh, by the way, a few years ago this really got bad when one of my kids gave us a pair of finches as a gift. The birds have been gone for 3 years. Maybe this was some sort of fungus. It took a couple of years to get rid of it. E.
  11. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

I will take your advice about the Thyroid. I was tested a couple years ago, just to 'rule it out'. But did no follow up on it was done. Will check out the website. THANKS!
  12. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

"YEP ME ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 12/31/05 06:06 PM

hi there,
    yes, I also get this on & off, I think it's a nerve related thing, after all fibro does affect the nerves also, & some times more than others, horrible things, I used to think I had been bitten by little insects!!...but no!!!
    DON'T SCRATCH ...LOL !!
    luv wendy xxx"

My doctor says it's a nerve related thing and bumnped up my prozac. It didn't make any difference at all though. I'm just alot calmer when I do itch!! LOL!
  13. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

"Me too! 12/31/05 05:42 PM

Isn't this aggravating? The doctors act like your nuts and it's no big deal, right?

They get to the point where they actually can hurt. I'm on Prozac too and that does nothing as far as the bumps.

I think it might be a form of allergic reaction, so you might want to monitor what you eat in relation to when you get these nasty bumps.

I just know they drive me crazy and they come and go.

I did the Rx shampoo thing, but that didn't really help.

What I do now is shampoo regularly with Head & Shoulders and use their creme rinse too, even though I don't have dandruff. It keeps me from scratching which might be from my scalp getting dry and itchy. Anyhow I use the shampoo and creme rinse as preventive measures and it seems to have helped.

Have you tried taking any kind of anti-inflamatory allergy meds you can get over the counter. Starts with a "B" and I can't remember the name.

Thanks for posting this because I really thought I was going insane with this too!

Who knows what else is connected to this DD we are burdened with!!!

Happy New Year and in the infamous words of the doctors, don't scratch -- right!

Linda "

You could be right. I recently found out I am allergic to ALOT of things, including food. But, if I do without the food it says I am allergic to, I might as well 'lay down and die". LOL!

No, your not insane...or at least you are no more insane than I, when it comes to scratching!LOL!
  14. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You can't believe how happy I am to see this post.. (not that I'm happy your itching Kristie!!) Just I think I may have hit on something here!!

Please, anyone.. do these sores come up just above the hair line on the back of your head and behind your ears?? Mine come up as a red bump.. looks like maybe an insect bite or a pimple.. but there is nothing in them if you squeeze.. they do kind of slowly ooze though and turn into scabs..
    They don't bleed..

Sometimes they get really big (like dime size or bigger).. sometimes not.. I have about 5 right now and I think they are infected and that is part of the reason my lymph nodes are swollen.

After waiting for months for a dermatologist appt. I was told it was probably psoriasis.. but I had no lessions at the time I went. He gave me fluocinolone acetonide cream and gel and it doesn't help at all..

My GP saw one a few months ago and put me on anti-bodics. They didn't clear it up and that particular sore has still not completly gone away. He said it does not look like psoriasis to him and set me up an appt. for a second opinion. I can't get in to the new dermie till March.. What's the chance of having an active lession when I go in.. 50-50??

I also get rashes on my face, like the woolf mask of Lupus, but I test negative for lupus and like a v-neck rash on my chest. Of course that wasn't active when I went to the dermie etiher..

Sometimes I will get little bumps and sores there as well.

The last dermie I saw put me on Tetrocycline for 6 months it seemed to keep my chest and face cleared up but didn't touch the lesions on my head.

Does this sound like anyone else here??

This is like the one thing that has never fit in with my fibro/cfs diagnosis..

Thank you!!!!!
    Hugs!
    dona
  15. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

"Itchiness....... 01/01/06 08:22 AM

can be caused by yeast overgrowth in the system. Candida. "

There may be something to this. I am taking allergy drops and one thing on my testing sheet is Candida. I guess I'm gonna have to put a sheet of foods that I can't eat on the refrig. That should help me lose weight!
  16. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Becca.. I know what you mean.. I have only had two professional hair cuts in the last 10 years.. I'm too embarrassed.. My 15 year old is cutting mine these days when I don't do it myself..

Oh.. one more thing.. I get them behind my ears to the point that I have to wear my hair long.. I have scars. I can't ever pull my hair up or back in public.

Also, seems like they usually come up when I'm run down or flareing.. anyone else??
  17. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I had itchy scalp for years. Talked with the doctor, talked with the beautician, tried the shampoo. Then I found out I had diabetes type II. When I got my sugar under control I stopped itching. Even now if I eat too much sugar my head starts itching again.
  18. rockinrobin

rockinrobin New Member

Just wanted you to know I expeienced itching scalp, but no sores. I have dry scalp due to Sjogrens, but it's an "internal" problem, so over the counter dandruff shampoo did not help. My beauticiaan recommended Nioxin shampoo, & the conditioner for dry scalp. You can get this in most well known salons. My sister got this also in a higher prescription RX from her babies pediatrition, for her cradle cap. It worked & cleared it up, so you might give this a try. Good luck! It is kinda expensive, like $30 for complete set, but it is very concentrated, so you use very little amounts. Hope this helps! A bottle should last a couple months! Later....
  19. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

My hairdresser called to my house to do my hair 2 weeks ago and this time she put some stuff on.I only ever use VO5 shampoo and conditioner and no other products because my hair loss is so bad already!I didnt think to ask her what it was.

The next day I felt so itchy on the nape of my neck.
    I had a few spots there and thought I had been bitten by an insect but then it got worse and I have been itching ever since.
    I know it was from the product she put on and I have now got lots of little spots all over my head and my scalp is sore.It is driving me nuts but at least reading this post has made me realise what has happened to my scalp.

I will ring her ask ask what is was and look it up on net to see what ingredients were in the product.
    I feel as though I have nits lol!

Take care
    Rena

[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]
  20. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I itch like crazy no dry scalp or nits lol I am a hairdresser so know the treatments I think it must be part of fibro thanks for posting this
    Linda