Itchy Skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Feb 7, 2007.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I have FM - I am itchy skin from time to time. Does anyone else experience this? My skin is dry and I do use lotion. Doesn't seem to help though.

I had blood tests and my liver and kidney's are within limits.[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I used to have the "itch". It could be food allergies, med allergies or liver issues, among other things. Mine were the first 3 issues. I have since given up all "iffy" foods, I can't really do meds anymore and I take supplements for my liver regularly. Now I don't itch.

Have you thought about food intolerance or changed your diet since you've been ill? You can search here for food intolerance, many of us have done posts about food. My standard recommendation for all cfs/fibro people is elimination of wheat and dairy first, then worry about other allergen foods like soy, corn, nuts, eggs and shellfish.

A med allergy will usually show up as itching first, especially the nose, in my case.

For liver issues, you can really only go by symptoms unless your liver has dying cells or is really bad off, then it will show up in tests. There is alot of info from the liver doctor and alot of good nutritional info from healingdaily.

good luck!

karen

[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  3. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I itch too. I'm itching right now.
    I know some folks with fibro suffer from paresthesis (sp???)
    I also notice that when I exercise on the treadmill and start
    to sweat (too much moisture to call it perspiration) my skin
    starts to itch. I read on the internet that it can be an
    allergic reaction to my own sweat. Blood heats up and pushes out histamines causing allergic reaction.

Sometimes I just start itching for no apparent reason.

I use hydrocortisone cream and take antihistamine.
  4. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I'm going to Walmarts
  5. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I use a soy based soap and a soy lotion bar both from Barefoot Creations. It's helped with my dry skin as well as my kids eczema.
  6. lizable11

lizable11 New Member

A few weeks before I was diagnosed with fibro, i was diagnosed with dermatographism, so i know itchy! If anything presses on my skin too hard, I break out in itchy hives there for a few minutes. If I crouch down, and the back of my legs touch, I get hives there. When I get out of the shower, and the cool air hits my skin, I get hives. Or where my elbow bends. Sometimes my scalp itches so bad, I scratch until it bleeds. It drives me nuts. I use aveeno baby lotion mixed with that baby oil gel and I take regular old benadryl every other night and that seems to help.
  7. momof471

momof471 New Member

sometimes I think this willl drive me absolutely batty! I use Eurecin cream whch really seems to help. My scalp is absolutely horrible, I scratch until I bleed also! It does get much worse in the cold weather. Its really a pain when you are trying to go to sleep at night!
  8. mdshrontz

mdshrontz New Member

My dermatologist gave me a great fix and it really works. She said that the skin cannot feel two things at the same time and that I should take a washrag and wet it in cold water and apply it to the itchy skin (sometimes I just rub the itch with the cold-water washrag and in about 5 minutes or so the itching goes away for a very long time and most of the time for that day permanently. It works for me better than all the million products that I purchased from the drugstore.
  9. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Just a heads up.

I don't think we are allowed to post web sites that sell anything. The liver doctor aka diet doctor and the healingdaily both sell suppliments.

Bob
  10. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

What about your thyroid blood work? Has that been checked? Itchy skin is one of the trademarks for thyroid imbalance. I have thyroiditis(in remission at the moment), but itchy skin was one of my worst symptoms.
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, suffer from itchy skin. Especially in the winter. It is often on my upper back where it's hard to reach! My dermatologist gave me some cream. He thinks I have eczema. I really think it's part of the FMS, but the cream does help. I also have some anti-itch cream I picked up at the drugstore. If I itch too much, it sometimes bleeds so I have to be careful.

Ellen
  12. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I, too, experienced itchy skin. For me it was a med allergy. I knew before my diagnosis with FMS that I was allergic to Morphine because of a previous surgery. However, I needed some stronger pain meds for pain. My doc started me on Vicodin which made me itch like crazy at the doses I was taking. We then tried Darvon, which didn't cause me to itch, but didn't do anything for the pain. Then it was Percocet, itching again. The last was dilaudid which I was on for said surgery. That just did not agree with me at all, side effects included itching (especially inside my nose) as well as others. I've tried taking benydryl with the meds, it doesn't really help, but others have said it does. I've also used hydrocortisone lotion, it helps marginally. I may try some of the products mentioned in this thread however. Now I'm solely on Tramadol which for me doesn't have any side effects. However it only takes the edge off the pain. I may try Vicodin at lower doses with it, we'll see how much I can take, before I start looking like I was thrown in a pit full of angry cats.

Good luck to you.

Eric
  13. cordy250

cordy250 Member

mine is definitely worse in the winter, which is understandable and it always seems to be worst when I try to go to bed. That part I don't understand. It's like a plot to keep you from sleeping by any means possible.
  14. LadyC

LadyC New Member

I get so itchy too. It gets so bad that I sometimes scratch until I'm bleeding. My legs are really bad right now. I started using Cortaid Advanced a couple days ago. So far so good.
  15. Ouch4017

Ouch4017 New Member

I've scratched my legs until they bleed! And once I start, it's hard to stop. It's like it manifests....
    Can just about drive ya nuts. I lube down with aloe vera lotion every morning which seems to help and use a good shampoo.
  16. 545

545 New Member

I used to have really dry and itchy skin, to the point where I could feel my skin stretching with each movement somedays. A lot of it has gone away by increasing blood-pressure/water-retention with salt & licorice root. Like other symptoms, it could be easily mistaken for an allergy when it's due to hypotension; or it could be an allergy.
  17. Toga

Toga Member

My hands, especially, were awful, cracked and bleeding. My dermatologist finally talked me into skin allergy tests. I have severe chemical allergies.

Among things I'm allergic to: Lotions with frangrance, Dish Soap, Cleaning Chemicals, Toothpaste, metal, jewelry, hand soaps, anything antibacterial, most shampoos, hair conditioners, hair spray etc. etc. etc.

I gradually figured out what I can use and what I can't.

Hair Care - I can use Aveda products. Don't ask me why but my head doesn't itch anymore. And the stuff smells good.

I can use Dawn Plus Hand Care as dish soap but its hard to find. When I do, I buy several bottles.

I carry my own hand soap for public restrooms in a little bottle in my purse. I can use the cheap kind called Softsoap (I think) I have to use the one with aloe vera in it.

I can wear jewelry for a short time, never around the house.

I wash my hands a lot and use unscented lotion. I also use the same Vaseline unscented lotion all over after every single bath or shower.

I also have a prescription for a cream when I have spots of rash. It's impossible to avoid everything I'm allergic to.

Toga
  18. TallMOM

TallMOM New Member

Every night I learn more about the effects that ME/CFS/FM.
    I have been itchy for a few years. We have try a lot of creams, but the fastest way I have found, the cold water or ice back.