It's 93 Degrees and I'm COLD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Anyone else get this weirdness? It's 93 degrees here and it is supposed to hit a hundred today, but I'm FREEZING. I'm absolutely freezing cold.
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

Geezzz, I am in PA also. Have you had your thyroid checked???
  3. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

More specifically, have you had your free T3 checked? It must be terribly low for you to be that cold on a hot day.

Good luck!
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, teabisqit.

Many PWCs report feeling cold, and many have a low peripheral body temperature (measured in the armpit).

According to the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS, this results from a lower than normal metabolic rate. Some PWCs have low thyroid hormones, usually because of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which I suspect is caused in CFS by low glutathione in the thyroid gland, and this can be part of the cause of a low metabolic rate.

There are also many PWCs who have normal thyroid hormone levels, but still run cold on their peripheral body temperature. According to my hypothesis, the problem is in the mitochondria of the skeletal muscle cells. These normally generate most of the heat in the peripheral parts of the body. When glutathione is low in the mitochondria of the skeletal muscle cells, the concentrations of oxidizing free radicals are allowed to rise. These put partial blocks in the Krebs cycle and the respiratory chain, and that lowers the metabolic rate, and hence the production of ATP and of heat.

The solution I have proposed for this is called the "simplified treatment approach" for lifting the methylation cycle block. It has been shown in autism that the depletion of glutathione is tied to a partial block in the methylation cycle, and that to raise glutathione, it is necessary to correct this partial block. You can read about this treatment in the update I posted on this board on July 18, 2007. If you search under the word "methylation," you can also find posts from quite a few others on this board who have tried or are trying this treatment approach.

I hope this helps.

5. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I used to freeze always! I wore a jacket when it was in the 80's, wore 2 sets of clothes to work in the winter (I worked in an office), wore gloves to work in summer, wore a sweater in the summer, rarely if ever wore a t-shirt and never wore a sleeveless shirt. I was miserable all winter, wanted to move to FL (almost did several times), and just waited for the few hot summer days we had (I'm in MA).

Then in my 40's it all changed. Now I'm absolutely hot all the time. I walked to work one day in March in a tank top (it was in the 40's). If it's over 70 degrees, sweat is pouring from me - go figure!
  6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have Hashimoto's, and I've always had super low body temperature with this disease.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi T,

I am also hypothyroid and go to and endo and am on thyroid meds and my hands and feet are almost always cold. When it is hot and we have the a/c or fans on and I am directly in their paths I am very sensitive to it and have to go get a sweater on. I can go from cold the warm in flash or else visa versa .

BTW, I also have problem with my hormones too and I should be way past the hot flash stage. So I am just a mess. In other words I think we have to just live with it.

I got off hormones (Premarin) a few years ago because of my hi b/p and have tried some other things (Natural)) to help and they didn't really. So, I am living with it and I think as time goes past I am having less of them.

I give up !! I just bring a sweater with me everywhere esp when I go shopping, to a restaurant, etc. Many times it is just freezing in there when it is HOT outside. BTW, it is also i the 90's now. I am feeling a bit chilly ow under the a/c vent and fan. My fingers are cold too.

Lots of warm hugs to you,
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My temperature regulation was getting really screwy before I moved out of my poisoned house (mold). It was one of the first things to go back to normal.

My impression is that people with consistently low body temperatures very frequently have lyme and/or lyme co-infections though.
  9. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have this problem especially in the summer months due to the air conditoning. Mine is due to raynaud's syndrome. My fingers and toes sting due to being so cold. I too pile on the clothes and will often sit out in the heat for a bit to warm up. It is crazy to be wearing a sweat shirt out in temps. as high as 100. But I do it too. Maybe ask rehuemy. about raynaud's.

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]