it's all in the blood article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

It's all in the blood (Belleville Intelligencer, Ontario, Canada, 19 June 2008)

Blood analyst helps people take care of themselves

Jodi Hawthorne can tell a lot about a person from a small drop of blood.

She can see any metal toxicity, if you're having trouble with cholesterol -- she can even find a parasite infection.

The 37-year-old Stirling area resident is a blood analyst and has introduced this fascinating technology to the area. She said there are only about a dozen certified blood analysts in Ontario.

"Your blood cell chemistry reflects the current condition of virtually ever aspect of your body," she explained.

"If you have a cold or virus, your analysis will show it."

Melissa Smith, 41, went to Hawthorne for help. She had been feeling unwell for nearly three years, following a trip to Cuba in 2005.

"When I came back, I just didn't feel right. I felt so tired."

The fatigue never went away and additional symptoms followed, including digestive problems, dry, unhealthy hair and white spots on her nails. She said the unexplained fatigue meant she never wanted to go out or do anything.

"When it starts affecting your social life, you know there's something wrong."

When she went to Hawthorne in February and her blood was brought up on the screen, she was shocked.

"It was like watching a horror movie," said Smith.

As they went over the sample, a big black spot was found with a huge parasite.

Two months later, after going on a few herbal tinctures and adjusting her diet -- Smith said she feels great.

"Just a week later, I started feeling better. It progressed week after week. I felt like a healthy, sociable person by April."

The live blood analysis is done when a drop of blood is placed on a glass slide and positioned under the lens of a custom-built darkfield microscope, where the specimen sits over a dark background and light is angled onto the specimen from the sides.

This is hooked up to a high-tech digital camera and viewed on a computer monitor. The blood cells are clearly shown, as well as anything out of the ordinary.

"We screen for and are able to detect over 30 different anomalies," said Hawthorne.

Her interest in blood analysis began six years ago when she was working as a mental health therapist in Calgary, Alta. It was introduced to her by Deanna Burgess, a blood analyst who came to the city.

Hawthorne had spent several years working in psychiatric wards and was overwhelmed by the widespread use of prescription drugs. She said she felt that illness and diseases might sometimes be misdiagnosed.

"The only sure way to know what is going on in your body is to have a look."

It took her another three years to complete all the courses to become a blood analyst, and she is just finishing up her Masters in herbology from the Packard School of Nutrition in Sudbury, Ont.

A former native from this area, she moved back here with her three-year- old daughter Billie a year ago to open her business, Quinte Blood Analysis.

Hawthorne said standard medical treatment and prescription drugs are often necessary, "but many people seem to respond to nutritional changes alone."

Some of the most common complaints people have when they come to her are chronic fatigue and digestive problems. Once she sees where the problem lies, she can offer advice on what might help correct the problem.

"I may suggest a specific herbal tincture or supplement to aid in strengthening the immune system or increasing nutritional well-being."

She said she strongly believes in the healing properties derived by simply incorporating whole, raw, live organic foods into the diet.

"We tend to overcook our food thus removing crucial enzymes we need for proper digestion."

Hawthorne said the advantage of blood analysis is the ability to reveal developing health issues that may not yet have physical symptoms.

"Blood analysis serves as an excellent aid in reaching and maintaining optimum health as well as a positive educational component for constructing an individual program customized to each person's unique biochemical makeup."

She said she feels it is a most effective way to prevent or help deal with many health problems.

As well as live blood analysis, Hawthorne also does a layered or dried analysis to get a clear picture of any possible bowel disruptions or toxicity.

"Through my studies, I have learned that some diseases can start in the bowels -- one of the first lines of defence (along with the liver) against a poor state of health."

She said when someone comes in with a fatigue complaint, she would look at underlying culprits such as yeast/candida, red blood cell aggregation (clumping), poor circulation, uric acid, liver/kidney stress, metal toxicity, parasite infection and sugar or hormone imbalance.

"I encourage a natural, holistic approach to help correct these imbalances."

When she sees a chronic condition, she works with a homeopathic doctor.

If a serious condition is suspected during the analysis, "I always advise the client to see a licensed medical practitioner."

Hawthorne is there to help people establish the balance of nutrients essential to their health by choosing the proper food for their blood type.

"I am here to assist you in healing yourself naturally through strengthening your immune system and alkalizing your body."

A high acid count in the blood can also cause problems. She said maintaining a proper pH level is critical to good health and may even help you lose a few pounds.

"Disease thrives in an acidic environment and acidity has been directly linked to weight gain. When the body is too acidic it 'thinks' it is dying and will hang onto the fat to use for stored energy as a survival mechanism."

Hawthorne said the blood analysis also shows the negative impact that artificial colours, sweeteners and some additives have on your blood cells.

"It is thought that these dyes and artificial colours may even change or damage your DNA, weaken your immune system, cause food allergies and spread free radical toxicity."

Hawthorne is now booked up until July. For more information on her work, you can reach her at 613- 395-0993. She is also in the process of building a website at

- - -

* What it can do

Here are some examples of things blood analysis looks for:

* bacteria

* yeast/fungi

* uric acid/crystals

* liver/kidney stress

* vitamin deficiencies

* parasites

* weak immune system

* metal toxicity

* improper digestion

* anemia

* blood acidity

© 2008 Osprey Media
  2. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

how come when most of us CFS'ers (or fibro'ers) have blood tests they usually come back normal?? if they could find all of this out on just a blood analysis, wouldn't that prove that we're not imagining this crazy disease?
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Thank you for posting this Bluebottle, I am quite interested, a few things peaked my interest, such as the mentioning of eating for your blood type (which I am considering) and the trip to Cuba that woman made and then was fatigued...Me too, except my trip was to Mexico...Haven't been the same since and then the following year had an oophrectomy and got a massive infection in the incision and things have been downhill from there...I also just started LDN in the hopes of enhancing my immune system like this woman suggests...

As for babyk's concern as to why our blood work comes back negative (mine doesn't but I know most do)...THEY don't want to find anything when THEY do the bloodwork ;)That keeps you sick dear, just what THEY need...We need to work together and find the cause and cure for each of us...Begin in the gut, like this woman advises...Having been diagnosed with Crohn's/colitis it's a no-brainer for me, we begin to realize where it has been coming from all along...Hence the blood issue as well, it's all connected...We eat garbage, our blood thickens, nothing flows properly, funk builds in the body and cannot be 'cleansed', we get imbalanced and blocked and we begin the dying process...Quite simple really...In my case, my diet wasn't the only culprit and I just feel there is something in my blood that shouldn't be there...Something Mexican likely :)Not meant to offend, just that I picked up a bug in Mexico :)

Great post, I will visit the site and see how far she has gotten...I wonder if anyone knows of someone here in the States that offers this diagnostic expertise...I find it fascinating and would welcome seeing my blood on the big screen...

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The following website is an article about LBV written by a professor of complementary medicine at the Peninsula medical school at the universities of Exeter and Plymouth.

You might want to copy and past this site for an interesting perspective.

According to this article:

No credible scientific studies have demonstrated the reliability of LBA for detecting any of the above conditions. In what was, to the best of my knowledge, the first attempt to assess the value of this method, a practitioner with several years of experience in LBA tested the samples of 110 patients. Twelve had cancer and the task was to identify their samples without knowing further details. The results could hardly have been more disconcerting - just three of the 12 with confirmed cancer were detected, and the authors concluded that the method "does not seem to reliably detect cancer. Clinical use of the method can therefore not be recommended."

I posted this for informational purposes.

Thanks, GA

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2008]
  5. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Reminds me of the Sakudo test for CFS. It takes blood and looks at it through near visible infrared spectrograph.

Sakudo found CFS people show abnormalities.

Not everything is tested in blood work at local GP.

But they don't know what to test for to find CFS, because there are many abnormalities that CFS people have (immune, etc.) but not everyone with CFS shows same abnormalities.

I have hope that the Sakudo test will become the diagnostic test. It is simple, and inexpensive and first results are very promising on making clear distinction between the CFs and Healthy people.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I am in the process of sending blood samples to a doctor in the UK who uses a veterinary microscope to look for parasites, bacteria and viruses. Apparently the ordinary microscopes that doctors use here don't pick them up.
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

When approaching anything like this it's important to chose your health professional with care. Reading topics at this site indicates that some have found the findings of these tests helful because they've indicated what needs treating and have subsequently enjoyed various degress of improvement.

GApsych the professor of complementary medicine at the Peninsula medical school at the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth has come to different conclusions re Complementary Medicine than other scientists in the UK. It often helps to understand personal biases when scientists write about their own studies and review the results of others' studies in this field.

Having read about the potentially economically crippling cost of mainstream health care in the US I hope this encourages taking a fresh look at other safe and cost effective Tx for chronic illnesses. In many countries alternative and orthodox medicine sit comfortably side by side. Japan does this and, in terms of the success of their health system, it would seem to have paid off. Japan is top of the league.

tc, Tansy
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think that the article by a professor of complimentary medicine should make it more credible.

I would love to see some scientific proof that this works. Personal testimony is not the same as science, though it can often lead to hypothesis to be tested.

But for now, there is no scientific proof that this works. It did not even pick up the people with cancer, blood can be contaminated easily.

It does not live up to being a valid test.

If people want to waste their money on this, that is a personal choice.

However, to state that this test is really measuring what it is supposed to be measuring, in other words validity, LBA has not been proven to do this at this time.

THanks, GA
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Gapsych

There are other academics of equal standing who do not take the same standpoint over complemenatry medicine, as the Prof you quoted, generally.

Interestingly one of the Deans of the Penninsular Medical School was the medical director of AfME, he was appointed to advise the Department of Health on CFS/ME, and recommends CBT and graded activity for ME and CFS.

As for the live blood tests I'm referring to feedback here, other similar message boards, and in the UK. These were first hand accounts; in the UK they were described by people I know personally and who are most certainly not gullible or ill informed.

Not all scientists and doctors are polarised in their attitudes towards non mainstream tests; if they make sense and patients improve as a result of recommended Tx, then many open minded doctors will not dismiss them just because they do not understand them.

Carrying these tests out using the right equipment (as mentioned above) and having them interpretted correctly is important.

After Costa et al's SPECT scans some other institutions tried to repeat their 100% results; many failed because they did not carry out the scans on well defined cases of ME and others because they did not have the same high standard of equipment. I'm just using this as an illustration to show why certain variables may have to be taken into account when judging any test procedure whether they come under the orthodox or alternative/complementary banner.

tc, Tansy

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am not at all against complimentary medicine but relatively speaking, it is still in it's infancy.

Because it is at this stage, it is imperative that there needs to be more of a scientific approach when using alternative practices. There are lots of scams out there.

I am just providing information so people can see all sides of this topic. There still is free choice.

I would love to see any scientific evidence that shows this is a valid test, as that would be exciting news. Personal stories are just personal stories. They may appear true for some people, but we can not just take individual experiences as proof.

Tests like the above which have been found invalid do a disservice to those practicing complimentary medictions.

If complimentary medicine wants to be taken seriously, there is a lot of cleaning up to do. That is not to be taken as a negative.

I fail to see why people would not want more research about alternative approaches.

It is nothing against the alternative approach. It is about giving more credibility to these approaches.

After all, Knowledge is Power.

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]
  11. matthewson

matthewson New Member

to cut and paste, but maybe it got heated and got deleted. Anyway, I don't have a lot of time, but I work in a lab and I can tell you that Live blood cell analysis is a sham. There is a reason why insurance companies won't pay for this, because it is not a legitimate test. You can not tell all the stuff that these practitioners claim they can see from looking at a drop of blood under a microscope.

You would not see bacteria and yeast floating around in your blood. Even in people with septicemia, it is very rare to even see a few bacteria on a perepheral blood smear. When we do blood cultures, they are incubated in a broth so they will multiply so that we can then have enough of them to see them on a slide. People who do not have septicemia do not have bacteria and yeast just floating around in their blood stream!

Anyway, this will fall on deaf ears because this comes up all the time and the ones who believe in it will not change their opinions and will cite numerous internet sources to say that it is real. So, believe away!

12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

This nutritionist with a degree in "hematology" is not someone whose office I'd ever find myself in as a Leukemia patient.

But, to each his own!
  13. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Live blood cell analysis is a FRAUD. It hasn't been validated by peer reviewed scientific studies.