It's Always Something... Lyrica, Bowen, doctors, etc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisabk, Nov 6, 2006.

1. lisabk

lisabk New Member

Hello!

I've been lurking and reading but haven't commented much. Seems that with the advent of the cooler weather I'm having a harder time.

Short backstory on me: I was dxed with fibro in September of this year, after years of feeling low-grade crummy. I'm very high-functioning right now - I work, I try to exercise, I get done what I can. I've never had to stay in bed. Most people have no idea I feel any pain whatsoever, but every morning I wake up feeling like an old lady, and I'm stiff and sore all over the place all day long..

I saw the rheumatologist back in October and he gave me a bunch of Celebrex/Lyrica samples. I did the research and decided I couldn't risk taking the Lyrica - the side effects, if I had them, were going to mess with my head, and this is my busiest time of year at work (I work as a development officer/marketing guru for a regional food bank). I can't afford to not be 100% on top of my game. Also, I have some serious issues with weight gain - the kind of weight gain I was reading about would be guaranteed to send me into a huge psychological tailspin.

Besides, my pain is not that bad. I weighed the pros and the cons and decided against taking either drug.

I have an appointment today, and I know he's going to bum out on me for not even trying the Lyrica. He's also going to bum out on me because I didn't do any of the other stuff I said I'd do - join a gym (I have a wind trainer for my bike on its way, though, so I can ride all winter without having to go to a fitness center), lay off the wheat (I've cut way back), lose a few pounds, etc. I'm so grateful to be able to go see a doctor about my condition, but I don't like the emphasis on pharmaceuticals.

Does anyone else ever experience the feeling that this cannot possibly what's wrong? That it has to be something else they just haven't found... that's curable?? I hate feeling just good enough to be able to work and exercise, but just bad enough so that the pain is a part of my life, every day, affecting my interactions with my kids, my friends, my co-workers, and my saintly husband.

The day ends with my first Bowen session. I'm so fervently hoping that it flips the switch in my brain that's making me feel what I feel.

Thanks for reading!
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Let us know how the Bowen session went. I am very interested. I would certainly like to flip a switch in my brain. Right now most of it seems to be flipped to the off position, lol.

hugs Redwillow
  3. lisabk

lisabk New Member

My Bowen therapist is actually a good friend of mine - she's English and is one of the best in the business, I hear. It'll be hard to not try to trade stories about our 14 YO sons during the session, but I'm going to work really hard at staying focused on the treatment, not the giver.