It's been a long time since I read up on reactive hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Apr 5, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've been having such a hard time lately and had forgotten all the awful symptoms.....all this from sugar troubles. I definitely need to cut out ALL sugar, including hidden ones. And I forgot that bananas are a no no, along with pasta, rice, potatoes.

In Dr. St. Amand's book, he devotes an entire chapter to reactive hypoglycemia and FM.

Wonder if others can relate to this.

CHRONIC SYMPTOMS

fatigue, insomnia
    nervousness, depression, irritability
    dizziness, faintness
    blurring of vision
    ringing of ears
    gas, abdominal cramps, diarrhea
    numbness/tingling of hands, feet, face
    flushing/sweating
    foot/leg cramps
    bi-temporal or frontal headaches
    impaired memory and concentration

ACUTE SYMPTOMS

Heart pounding
    palpitations or heart irregularities
    panic attacks
    nightmares and severe sleep disturbances
    faintness or syncope
    acute anxiety
    hand or inner shaking/tremor
    sweating
    frontal headache or pressure
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi sunflowergirl - I'm very sensitive to sugar in most forms so have learned to avoid it. white flour is also another big no-no. I read somewhere that white foods in general just tend not to be good for us.

I know sugar's not good for anyone, but I think it probably is particularly worse for people with CFS as our adrenals often are compromised and sugar is very hard on the adrenals.

No matter who you are, it's a good idea to cut it out as much as possible. It compromises the immune system and cancer loves sugar as fuel. It is almost criminal to me that food companies like pepsi have pushed their sugary drinks which I think are a huge part of the obesity and diabetes problems in this country. I see people buying cases of the stuff and just wonder if they have their heads in the sand, although I do remember buying it years ago, in my other lifetime, although I never drank a lot.

And the diet stuff with the neurotoxin aspartame is just as bad if not worse!

Sorry for the rant! :)

Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2013]
  3. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

I also have hypoglycemia, I don't eat sugar, bananas, or potatoes. There is one type of rice that is low glycemic. It's uncle bens original converted rice. It's about a 40 on the glycemic index and anything below 50 is considered low.

Also, pasta when cooked "Al dente" is low glycemic. The longer you cook pasta the higher it goes up on the glycemic index, because it is digested faster the longer you cook it.

I also eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks to keep my blood sugar up. Whole wheat pasta is also low glycemic, lower than white. Like Mary said, I have low functioning adrenals that causes the hypoglycemia.